Prospect Info: Development Camp July 5-11 (On Ice July 6-9)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah I was going to say don't forget about my man Beaudin. He's a righty too, something we don't have a lot of.

People will forget about him unless RN is back in the MemCup next year, but once he makes the avs he'll win everyone over by the end of his first season. :yo:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Beaudin gets no respect but he's our 3rd best forward prospect and 5th overall.

I have AJG, JCB, and JTC in the same tier; as all 3 should be excellent top 9 guys and quite possibly complimentary top-6ers. So I won't argue against him being anywhere from our 3rd-5th best forward prospect.

But with Bigras & Pickard still counting as prospects, Mikko & Jost being our best forward prospects, and Meloche being so studlicious; I dunno about ranking Beaudin as our 5th best prospect OA. 6th is the highest I can buy; and I prefer AJG for long term upside & JTC for how close they are to making their impact...so would have him 7th much more often than 6th on my list, and 8th just as often.

Morrison could well work his way into this same tier as well; though he'll probably stay towards the bottom of the group because of how far from contributing he is.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Compher is closer to Rantanen and Jost then Greer and Beaudin.

At the moment you're probably right. But that may not be the case when all's said & done; and all three are in the NHL. They have similar ceilings, so I can see a case for any of the trio to be ranked first among them.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
When talking prospects, there is obviously more to it than right now. Compher is on a different level. He and Greer might have a similar ceiling, but Compher is further ahead in his development, and has a higher probability. Compher is more likely to reach the NHL and his ceiling and get there sooner. Beaudin really doesn't belong in the conversation. Compher is more skilled, more assertive and is as good or better than Beaudin in basically every area minus size.

thehockeywatchinger

Nov 2, 2011
I am doing the read of all these texts for this Development camp. Please, to the Avalanches fan do don't to make an evaluation of the young player too very early.
J-C Beaudin is a strong player for Junior but it is not for the same comparative as A-J Greer. Nico Meloche does has a longue route to be a 3-4 dman in the LNH. He is above Boikov but it is my opinion that he is a 2-3 years from LNH discussion.
This is my opinion thank you.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
Our center depth is up in the air with Duchene possibly playing wing and Mitchell having only one more year
that still leaves Mack, Jost, Soda, Compher ahead of him. I think it would be smart of all parties to give him time at wing. From everything I've read. Didn't see him live uninjured his offense is limited and seen as a bottom sixer.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We'll get into this with our polls (which is going to happen much sooner than later ;) ) so save it for some of that. Pickard is not still a prospect btw. I see the closer to contributing argument with Compher and Greer. I do think Beaudin gets overlooked a bit, his game is different. It's his hockey sense that will get him to the NHL if it happens. He's different than Compher. Y'all complain about not having enough smart players.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When talking prospects, there is obviously more to it than right now. Compher is on a different level. He and Greer might have a similar ceiling, but Compher is further ahead in his development, and has a higher probability. Compher is more likely to reach the NHL and his ceiling and get there sooner. Beaudin really doesn't belong in the conversation. Compher is more skilled, more assertive and is as good or better than Beaudin in basically every area minus size.

Beaudin absolutely does. He's not just bigger than Compher, he plays a smarter/more creative game with the puck & as a playmaker. Compher's going to be really nifty for us, but Beaudin has a lot of Soda to him.

All three bring different things, so different people will have different preferences amongst them once they're in the NHL; but all three can have valid arguments to be the best of the bunch if they develop well.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Beaudin absolutely does. He's not just bigger than Compher, he plays a smarter/more creative game with the puck & as a playmaker. Compher's going to be really nifty for us, but Beaudin has a lot of Soda to him.

All three bring different things, so different people will have different preferences amongst them once they're in the NHL; but all three can have valid arguments to be the best of the bunch if they develop well.

You are really underselling Compher. Dude is an amazing playmaker and has a very high IQ. Tremendous passing skills and just as good vision/awareness. Much more potential than someone like Yeti, who seems like a fair comparison for Beaudin.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You are really underselling Compher. Dude is an amazing playmaker and has a very high IQ. Tremendous passing skills and just as good vision/awareness. Much more potential than someone like Yeti, who seems like a fair comparison for Beaudin.

I'll be thrilled if any of those guys have a Soderberg sized impact in the NHL.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Compher is a high-speed playmaker of some note himself. It was one of his biggest roles on the CCM line. He sees the play very well and makes fast, accurate passes in the moment. Beaudin's a good playmaker too, just a different, less aggressive flavor of playmaker.

When it comes to ranking prospects I heavily weight NHL readiness as a factor. Therefore, Compher would get in above Beaudin. Not that I think Beaudin's potential isn't about the same, but he's not as complete a package yet.

Glick1

Nov 14, 2013
It's good to see AJ Greer have a solid showing. I'm still wondering where we are going to place him. Didn't he struggle at BU?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad