Prospect Info: Development Camp July 5-11 (On Ice July 6-9)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Compher definitely looked like money in the 3v3 today, made some great passes and generally just looked like a bull out there. Jost too, he's got great hands and vision. In the 3v3 he made a great lob pass down the ice for a breakaway the other way.

Biggest disappointment for me was Brogan O'Brien, he did not seem like he was on the same level as the other guys at all in the drills.

I also liked Clurman a lot in person. Made really smart decisions in the defensive drills, forcing the other player into a low percentage chance. Really great pick for where we got him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm going to write something up bigger for later so I'm not going to spoil and repeat myself but a few general observations.

Jost will be plenty fine in two years. He's got a well rounded game and is strong. Just maturity from 18 to 20 will be big for him. He got more dangerous the closer he gets to the net, he's not as imposing on the perimeter. He's a really good blend of tenacity and skill. He had good chemistry with Greer, seems they were purposely paired together, Greer is always trying to use his power. Halfway through the shootout Greer tried bouncing the puck and a trick shot and scored on it, loosened the group up after that to try more creative stuff.

Gotta echo on Clurman is the real deal. Don't want to over hype this kid but it's easy to see he has every tool. He can move, skate, shoot and defend. He has a nice wrist shot he can get through traffic. He has the hands to bat pucks out of the air, did very well in the cone drill, good at defensive positioning, though sometimes showed his age one in one with guys but other times was able to win the pick right away. From what Oliver said on the radio that this guy hasn't even trained really yet? No wonder they think he's a gem already.

I might be the only one that likes Barron. He's got a nose for the net, was one of the few who was hitting guys along the boards. He showed good chemistry with Jost, he has enough skill to keep up with him. He's raw but there's something I like about him.

I thought Nantel was really good, his game has matured a step. He's always making things happen. He scored the winning goal for team burgundy to win. I think he was one of the consistently most dangerous in the 3 on 3. Beaudin did a lot of good things too, he will never be flashy but smart and creative plays. Takes a few risks but got some really good chances too. He scored the shootout goal for team burgundy to make it to the finals.

In general the older guys did well. Lindholm and Compher were very solid. Storm isn't the most skilled but showed his age in the 3 on 3. Butcher as well could tell his experience. Of the new guys Karlsson has some nice moments in the 3 on 3, for some reason struggled through the skills cones. Truchon-Viel was the best new guy in the 3 on 3, really good chemistry with Beaudin and Nantel.

Overall I don't think anyone was lagging, just a few stood out. It has the feel of a hard working, determined group. Not a ton of individual flashy skill but good all over the ice.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Happy that Marchand's work is turning your opinion around on him SEPH. He's a coaches dream in most respects. He listens attentively to the coaches and then applies it in practices/games.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How did Jost look physically compared to Compher? JT looked like he could stand to get stronger when he played against men at the WC this year. The bumps he was taking knocked him around a bit more than you'd like to see.

They are built similarly though. Somewhat average to slightly below average in height, but with a solid lower base. Compher though is listed at 6'0" (a tad generous maybe) and 182 lbs while Jost is 5'11" 190 lbs. JT is also three years older.

If Jost were to compete for a spot in 2017-18 he's got two full summer's and a full season of college hockey where they play on the weekends to workout and get stronger, so he's got a lot of time he can spend in the gym up until then.

I think he could at least get to where Compher is physically right now, and probably more IMO since he seems to have more lean muscle on him already. There's no way that extra 8 lbs on Jost is fat with his work ethic.

I think there's been a common theme on comments about Jost in that he looks ok at the start of drills, or the start of the day, but then just gets better and better. It's his first taste of this level of competition, and he's learning quickly.
The easy answer here is Compher,. Now if you're asking about during their primes, I think I might have to take Jost overall. Yes he was pushed around quite a bit today, but he's stocky for his age and height even if it's a negative as of now. I am glad he's going to the NCAA where he will have much more off-ice training for him.

I will admit though, JT is NOT a big guy, I doubt that he is 6'0", looked more like a 5'10½" or average 5'11" for me. Not very stocky either, compared to someone else like Greer. Though, Jost and Compher do share some same qualities as you said, both are agile and both go hard to the net as Tigre also mentioned. I do think Compher has the better skating, again Tyson isn't bad by any means, but you can tell that Jost is more choppy, has less fluidity, and his straight line speed can be improved on as well. Additionally, I absolutely get what you're on about concerning Compher and his physicality, but I believe we should know more during the main camp in fall. He's a very weird player though, he isn't a physical beast by any means, but he's hard to contain around the opposing net with him whacking at the pucks and taking it down low. All in all, based on what I saw today, I think Compher could spend a season down in the AHL to bulk up IMO.

Compher definitely looked like money in the 3v3 today, made some great passes and generally just looked like a bull out there. Jost too, he's got great hands and vision. In the 3v3 he made a great lob pass down the ice for a breakaway the other way.

Biggest disappointment for me was Brogan O'Brien, he did not seem like he was on the same level as the other guys at all in the drills.
I don't think he was bad, but O'Brien was extremely average, I thought Houck was more impressive; I understand why he (Brogan) went through the draft. Not saying he needs to be flashy, but he was just not a special player at all.

I'm going to write something up bigger for later so I'm not going to spoil and repeat myself but a few general observations.

Jost will be plenty fine in two years. He's got a well rounded game and is strong. Just maturity from 18 to 20 will be big for him. He got more dangerous the closer he gets to the net, he's not as imposing on the perimeter. He's a really good blend of tenacity and skill. He had good chemistry with Greer, seems they were purposely paired together, Greer is always trying to use his power. Halfway through the shootout Greer tried bouncing the puck and a trick shot and scored on it, loosened the group up after that to try more creative stuff.
What impressed me the most about Jost was his positioning, he always seemed to be in the right location at the right time. As I said in my original post, his anticipation is quite remarkable, especially his offensive creation in terms of shooting or passing. I don't think he has an amazing shot (in terms of power), but he scored that many goals in the BCHL due to angling himself into great positions away from the play or something out of nothing. I would like to add though, his shot accuracy is very good.

Gotta echo on Clurman is the real deal. Don't want to over hype this kid but it's easy to see he has every tool. He can move, skate, shoot and defend. He has a nice wrist shot he can get through traffic. He has the hands to bat pucks out of the air, did very well in the cone drill, good at defensive positioning, though sometimes showed his age one in one with guys but other times was able to win the pick right away. From what Oliver said on the radio that this guy hasn't even trained really yet? No wonder they think he's a gem already.
Not only that, but there was one play where he accepted the pass and got the shot off in like a second which he scored on; he shoots extremely fast. Another highlight for me was when he was being hounded by a forward (on the 3v3), someone like Barron, you thought he was going to lose the puck, but he made a quick back and forth stopping play along the boards with his skates and puck to lose the forward and get the puck out. He reminds me a ton of TJ Brodie/Chris Tanev in playing styles.

It sucks though, some rumours out there saying he plans on returning to his Prep Military Academy instead of going to the USHL.

I might be the only one that likes Barron. He's got a nose for the net, was one of the few who was hitting guys along the boards. He showed good chemistry with Jost, he has enough skill to keep up with him. He's raw but there's something I like about him.
I actually liked Barron as well, he has a great work ethic and was fantastic on the forecheck. But I do think he has some talent concerns, a reason why I totally understand how he fell to the 7th round. Agreed that he is quite raw as of now, probably that Magyar 2.0 type of forward where he will either improve or stagnate and become nothing.

I thought Nantel was really good, his game has matured a step. He's always making things happen. He scored the winning goal for team burgundy to win. I think he was one of the consistently most dangerous in the 3 on 3. Beaudin did a lot of good things too, he will never be flashy but smart and creative plays. Takes a few risks but got some really good chances too. He scored the shootout goal for team burgundy to make it to the finals.
Also agreed Nantel was good, but I was kind of disappointed in Beaudin. You're right he was never a flashy player, but I thought he would take that next step and sort of dominate some of the plays, which I don't think he did. He was alright overall IMO.
In general the older guys did well. Lindholm and Compher were very solid. Storm isn't the most skilled but showed his age in the 3 on 3. Butcher as well could tell his experience. Of the new guys Karlsson has some nice moments in the 3 on 3, for some reason struggled through the skills cones. Truchon-Viel was the best new guy in the 3 on 3, really good chemistry with Beaudin and Nantel.
Lindholm to me was the best player on the defensive side of things. He just plays that prototypical Swedish way, where he's a very efficient player. If he does something, it was for a reason and not because of anything else. He isn't Ben Storm, but I think he's quite underrated in the physical department. We won't be seeing any Drew Doughty "Taylor Hall" hits from him, but he does stand up on people even if the hit isn't huge. What it does though is stop the play and knocks the puck off the forwards stick. Furthermore, he also possesses a good defensive stick, yes he still lets shots through, but he's good in ways to angle them on their weaker side.

I think Karlsson had skate issues, didn't he fall two times before?

Overall I don't think anyone was lagging, just a few stood out. It has the feel of a hard working, determined group. Not a ton of individual flashy skill but good all over the ice.
Absolutely right on the money here, there were a lot of players who were good including the two French invites, while not everyone was downright bad (even Olhaver wasn't crazy pathetic bad). Anderson is still a curious case because he didn't partake in the 3v3s, which is rightfully so. Kyle Wood and Cohen are still the worst skating prospects I've seen in Avs prospects, Wood in particular was absolutely brutal the first time watching him. Josh isn't at his level, but yikes he needs a lot of work. I wasn't impressed by Corbett's skating either, but he was good in the positioning department and good gap control. Not only is it depressing about the Anderson selection, but Maple Leaf fans are commenting how good Greenway has been at their development camp (FML). :(

I also wanted to comment about Butcher, because he was very good. I understand that he isn't a favourite by some of the posters here, but I think he was the second smartest player out there after Jost. He has limitation, but overcomes them by a great amount of cerebral play including decision making, jumping up into the play, and other facets that Avs haven't had since we traded Liles. I agree with the Avs to not sign him this year, he will gain a lot from his senior year IMO. Even if he doesn't become an NHL player, he can still be a very useful AHL puck moving defender.

Happy that Marchand's work is turning your opinion around on him SEPH. He's a coaches dream in most respects. He listens attentively to the coaches and then applies it in practices/games.
I still have some concerns about his shot saving ability, he only allowed two goals I believe, but both were ones he should have stopped IMO. But he did save the tough ones, which I will give him benefit of the doubt, looking forward to him in fall.

Werner on the other hand reminds me so much of Reto Berra, both share the same qualities, but I think Werner is a much faster goaler in lateral movement, but especially in getting setup for the shot. He was quite good in the shootout as well, but I also agree with your notions that he is still fairly raw.

Last edited:

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
You're wrong in assuming that Greer and Jost have the same talent level. Trust me I love Greer, I will probably like him more than Jost, but Tyson is way more dynamic, clearly has superior hockey intelligence, thinks the game beyond North and South, and has some offensive tools that AJ doesn't. This isn't to discredit Greer on the player he will become because I don't think there is a huge gap, but I fully believe that Jost can jump into the NHL from college. Maybe it takes three years, but he has few weaknesses besides his young immature body.

Yeah the poster who said the two years isn't entirely wrong, the Greer I saw wasn't ready for the NHL even if he didn't preform badly by any means. I just don't want the Avs to Tom Wilson him even if he has the body for the NHL. Foppa I will answer your post later today.

First things first. I am confused. I NEVER compared the players. I think Greer needs a bit of seasoning in the AHL. That's the one and only claim I made. I think my second statement is pretty clear but in case it wasmt I asked you, because your wording wasn't clear to me.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't think he was bad, but O'Brien was extremely average, I thought Houck was more impressive; I understand why he (Brogan) went through the draft. Not saying he needs to be flashy, but he was just not a special player at all.

Houck did catch my eye too, he's got a sneaky little shot and some decent speed.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I still have some concerns about his shot saving ability, he only allowed two goals I believe, but both were ones he should have stopped IMO. But he did save the tough ones, which I will give him benefit of the doubt, looking forward to him in fall.

Werner on the other hand reminds me so much of Reto Berra, both share the same qualities, but I think Werner is a much faster goaler in lateral movement, but especially in getting setup for the shot. He was quite good in the shootout as well, but I also agree with your notions that he is still fairly raw.

There's no doubt that Marchand will have issues. There's a reason he's been undrafted. For all the improvement he made this past season there is still a fair amount to go. Despite the flaws there's a reason I want him in the organization being given a chance. When Hepple was talking about Werner after the draft he mentioned that because Werner is a Euro goalie the Avs can wait for 4 years.

So with that in mind giving Marchand the chance to hold down the fort until Werner or another goalie is drafted and brought in is the correct action to take. It's hard to bet against a goalie who has shown that he takes to coaching like a fish to water. What contract the Avs give him is out of my control and I honestly don't care what kind of contract he gets. What I do care about is having Marchand be given proper coaching and development time.

Transitioning to the pros as a goalie can be difficult as the age range suddenly gets wider. I hope if the Avs do bring in Marchand he finds his way onto an ECHL team. There's no point to bringing in Marchand if he's just going to be moping around as the 3rd goalie in the AHL. The fact that Marchand is here though leads me to believe he has talked in depth with the Avs and there is some sort of plan. Out of the overage goalies out there he's the best but none have ELC's rather they've signed AHL deals (Bow, Flinn).

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm afraid I'm not much of a judge of goalies. Martin was the only goalie who really stood out to me today, he seemed like the most refined of the three, which seems predictable.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Nice write-up "secret agent" TV. :nod: :yo: ;)

I'm really happy to hear that all the kids did very well. To me there wasn't any surprise there except for Clurman. I had a very good feeling about him but I think he performed even better than I thought. I really can't wait to see him keep developing over the next few years. I really hope he goes to the USHL instead of staying at the Academy. That will do wonders for his development.

Can't wait for training camp now.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
It would be pretty cool if in the not so distant future we were able to role (and they were able to handle it):

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Duchene
Grigorenko - Jost - Rantanen
Greer - Compher - X

obviously some player movement is bound to disrupt it, but all of those players growing together would be cool.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
It would be pretty cool if in the not so distant future we were able to role (and they were able to handle it):

Greer - Compher - X

obviously some player movement is bound to disrupt it, but all of those players growing together would be cool.

I could see that 3+ years from now, with Nantel - Henley - Petryk as the 4th line. Toss Morrison in there and we got a full group of forwards.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Okay, I'm officially excited about Clurman now.

Welcome aboard. This bandwagon will fill up quick if this kid's development goes smoothly over these next 3-4 years. :yo:

So excited about absolutely everything we're hearing about Clurman. Can't wait to watch him play for myself, to see if I believe that he can replace Kyle Wood as our long term top-4 RHD project.

Greer - Compher - X

Don't forget Beaudin. That kid won't stick out in drills, but he's just so damn smart & creative once the game starts. It's tough to watch him play when he's healthy, and not picture him replacing Soda as our bigger top-9 Center.

With Morrison to push Greer as a top 9 PWF LW; and Nantel-Henley-Petryk-Barron as potential 4th liners; the young forward depth is starting to come together...though another great draft would go a long way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad