News Article: Development Camp July 10-14

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Truth is Wallinder and Edvinsson may not have had stand out performances because they both got in late and may have been really jet legged.

Also the fact that the airlines screwed up their luggage and lost their hockey equipment. Red Wings had to run out and buy them all new gear. Always difficult when wearing stiff gear that is not broken in and you might not be comfortable in it yet. (Especially skates and gloves)

I’m not buying the narrative they simply
didn’t care because it was a practice scrimmage 3x3 and they are so much better than everyone that they decided to mail it in.

Nah I think that would be small indictment on them as competitors. And I wouldn’t go there.
They flew all the way across the world to appear In the camp. Why would you not put your best foot forward in whatever, drill, exercise, scrimmage and try and get the most out of the experience. Practice how you play the games.

They had some legit issues. I doubt they were intentionally dogging it though.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Agree with much of this assessment. A few things I see differently:

- Lombardi wasn’t invisible the 2nd game. He was actually much involved and they made sure he was on the ice with the goalie pulled. I think he set a pretty insurmountable bar in game 1.
- Edvinsson looked like a guy who showed up last minute to a shinny, and probably felt like trying uber hard against lower competition could only hurt his stock. I’ve seen him play enough to know he was on cruise control.
- I was actually pretty impressed with James and Mazur. 3 on 3 isn’t their style of game, but the attributes I was looking for were evident at times. Speed, grit, with some offensive spurts. Sure, Lombardi impressed, but this was literally his style of game. Even at their max potential, I doubt James and Mazur are surefire overtime players at the NHL level.
- Hanas was making plays and while the stat sheet doesn’t show it, you could see he is head and shoulders above most prospects in terms of vision, craftiness, and pure skill. He and Kasper looked great together.
- Cossa scares me. Dude looks shaky and seems to lack confidence. Hoping just an off day.

People said the same thing about Albin Grewe as they are saying today about James/Mazur.
I get that line of reasoning. But I don't really buy it.
Brennan Ali's scouting report reads the exact same as James and that guy was all over the place.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Cossa and off-days, name a more iconic duo
I don’t know why everyone is saying he played so poorly. You’re watching a goalie get left hang out to dry in a 3on3.
A goalie isn’t supposed to stop a player on a breakaway/penalty shot…

As soon as he was scored on and that Moron Art started saying how bad of a game he was having, I knew a bunch of other people would start saying the same.

What’s more important about Cossa is how his coach during the prospect tournament took him with the first pick. It demonstrates how the franchise has a lot of confidence in this kid, as they should.

Does he need some fine tuning and polishing to his game? Of course. All goalie prospects do.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I don’t know why everyone is saying he played so poorly. You’re watching a goalie get left hang out to dry in a 3on3.

As soon as he was scored on and that Moron Art started saying how bad of a game he was having, I knew a bunch of other people would start saying the same.

What’s more important about Cossa is how his coach during the prospect tournament took him with the first pick. It demonstrates how the franchise has a lot of confidence in this kid, as they should.

Does he need some fine tuning and polishing to his game? Of course. All goalie prospects do.
Haters just gotta hate on something. If we aren't winning Cups and if every draft pick doesn't immediately make our NHL roster and sign for 20 year deals at reasonable prices so we can win Cups every year....they are all busts.

Reactions: 13to40

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Because he did bad.
Because other goalies looked better.

I still have high hopes for this kid, but it's getting hard to ignore that every time I watch him, he's struggled.

Haters just gotta hate on something. If we aren't winning Cups and if every draft pick doesn't immediately make our NHL roster and sign for 20 year deals at reasonable prices so we can win Cups every year....they are all busts.
Nobody's talking about him making the roster and signing a 20-year deal.
We're talking about how he looks relative to other prospects.

Reactions: David D

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
People said the same thing about Albin Grewe as they are saying today about James/Mazur.
I get that line of reasoning. But I don't really buy it.
Brennan Ali's scouting report reads the exact same as James and that guy was all over the place.

Ali looked great for a 7th round pick, but if you tagged Mazur or James’ name on the back of his sweater I would’ve been left wanting more. He works his tail off but is so unpolished. Expectations alter perception.

Under your premise, everyone who is a future NHL’er should shine in their first Development Camp 3-on-3 tourney? You’re drafting these players for their upside. I also don’t think people were unfair in making that assessment of Grewe, whether right or wrong. He did in fact look good in his first camp. However, based on his production profile, Albin hasn’t exactly been progressing as hoped and reaching the ceiling Wings FO thought he could. That’s how this works. Some guys reach a new level of maturity and unlock an unforeseen potential. Most don’t. I for one am not writing off prospects when they don’t tear the doors off at development camp.

That said, I stand by my point of Mazur and James showing me enough. I still remember some people on here nitpicking Seider’s game in multiple camps after he was drafted. With such a small sample size, I’m just looking for flashes of skill. I surely can’t be the only one who remembers John Adams lighting up camp every year, getting praised as the next Wing HOF’er! Lol

Also, who’s the jackass who said this thread should end with the camp over? These threads thrive off of over-analysis of past events. That’s literally why many of us are here..

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Ali looked great for a 7th round pick, but if you tagged Mazur or James’ name on the back of his sweater I would’ve been left wanting more. He works his tail off but is so unpolished. Expectations alter perception.

Under your premise, everyone who is a future NHL’er should shine in their first Development Camp 3-on-3 tourney? You’re drafting these players for their upside anyways. I also don’t think people were wrong for making that assessment of Grewe, whether right or wrong. Based on his production profile, Albin hasn’t exactly been progressing as hoped and reaching the ceiling Wings FO thought he could. That’s how this works. Some guys reach a new level of maturity and unlock an unforeseen potential. Most don’t. I for one am not writing off prospects when they don’t tear the doors off at development camp.
No, not at all.
It's a few minutes of hockey.
People can be sick/undertheweather.
Maybe a kid who phones it in at 19 works his ass off at 21.
Lots of variables.

In Grewe's situation, at 5'10 or whatever his skating clearly wasn't up to snuff.

Ali, this week, was better than Mazur and James, period. Not just based on draft slot.
Based on play on the ice.

Read the reports on Ali and James.
For most of us, the only reason you're higher on James than Ali is because of where the Wings picked.
Most of us barely knew anything about these guys.

So I revert to the scouting guides... and then I watch.
And Ali outplayed James and Ali looked like the guy HockeyProspect and EliteProspects described.

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
And Ali outplayed James and Ali looked like the guy

I won’t argue that Ali didn’t objectively have the better 3-on-3, he did. What I meant was I saw James (and Mazur) make splashes where I said “ok I see it” .. as in traits I could see translating.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I won’t argue that Ali didn’t objectively have the better 3-on-3, he did. What I meant was I saw James (and Mazur) make splashes where I said “ok I see it” .. as in traits I could see translating.
Oh, OK.
I thought both guys didn't do much.
First game, on the first shift or two, James looked decent - then poof.
Mazur - heard his name, didn't see him much.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
:laugh:
1658111166829.png

• Wow
Reactions: Realgud

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Truth is Wallinder and Edvinsson may not have had stand out performances because they both got in late and may have been really jet legged.

They had some legit issues. I doubt they were intentionally dogging it though.

My god, do we really have to debate this kind of things.

It's pointless to turn out negatives at 3 on 3 tournament.

Reactions: golffuul

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
These tournaments aren't really about "standing out" or "making the team". They are for managment getting to know the players, and getting them into nutrition classes and other training sessions to prepare them for pro hockey.

Now if any of our prospects looks bad at training camp then worry about them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad