News Article: Development Camp July 10-14

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Any stinkers? Heard not so good things about Edvinsson's and Cossa's performance

I think that 3 vs. 3 hockey is not the best to rise any negatives up.

It's shows the best skill guys, like it did with Lombardi. Very pleasant surprise.

Maybe I'm becoming a fan of these Draper-picks. :)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Any stinkers? Heard not so good things about Edvinsson's and Cossa's performance
In what I saw, Edvinsson looked like a dad playing with his kids. If he wanted to, he would have embarrassed some of them. His length and strength was noticeable. He could fend off any check just by keeping his body between the puck and the defender.

I think the late arrival and the low intensity of 3 on 3 made him look unremarkable because of how nonchalant he could be.

Cossa certainly didn’t steal anything, but 3 on 3 is the worst benchmark to assess a goalie

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Edvinsson said in his interview that last month he measured in at 199 cm so 6'6.35. I think at the draft he was 6'4...
He was 6'5 at the draft but the athletic had an article mid last season that he was 6'6 now so that makes sense. Doesnt make sense how smooth of a skater he is at that size

Reactions: ChadS

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I caught the second half of the 2nd game for Cossa and he looked good in what I saw. His team won 4-2 and he made some nice saves. He did get scored on as soon as I turned the game on, but seemed to settle in after that. I did hear people say he looked bad in the first game though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I caught the second half of the 2nd game for Cossa and he looked good in what I saw. His team won 4-2 and he made some nice saves. He did get scored on as soon as I turned the game on, but seemed to settle in after that. I did hear people say he looked bad in the first game though.

Yeah, the start of the first game was bad. Something like 3 saves and 4 goals. After those, he was pretty good.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Kasper is quick thinking, quick reaction time, and quick reflexes and... smart. he seems to have eyes in the back of his head and he has slick hands (incredibly underrated). He's going to be a gamer.

Lombardi proving why he was drafted. Def high reward potential.

Ali was a positive impact and doing the right things.

Edvinsson just oozes high end blue chip skill. kid is a beast.

Cossa has 3 more years at minimum but showed flashes as to why Yzerman traded up for him.

Sabrango looks like he's going to become a useful NHLer sooner rather than later.

Wings prospects are just so damn exciting!!

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Thought Edvinsson looked really good despite it being completely obvious he was not playing with max effort. Just looks so refined, like a prototype top D prospect

Wallinder on the other hand was a tad disappointing from what I saw but it's a summer scrimmage so whatever

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Thought Edvinsson looked really good despite it being completely obvious he was not playing with max effort. Just looks so refined, like a prototype top D prospect

Wallinder on the other hand was a tad disappointing from what I saw but it's a summer scrimmage so whatever

Both Wallinder and Edvinsson weren't even really trying.

Also of note, Wallinder lost his baggage and was using someone else's skates. That's never a good feeling.

Reactions: golffuul and SCD

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Impressed by:
* Viro - Smooth, quick, effective
* Lombardi - WTF level good in the first game. Invisible in game 2
* Kasper - Skates like a top liner. Showed some skill. Skill isn't elite.
* Ali - Not a lot of skill, but he pushed the play constantly. Probably only above average speed. But never stops moving.
* Savage - Kind of the same. Skill is kind of there. Speed is good. Intensity wasn't quite what Ali showed.
* Plandowski - Played like his draft day scouting reports read. Smooth. Speedy. Creative.
* Sebrango - Probably the best player in the tournament. He was so active and involved in the rush I couldn't believe it was Sebrango.

Looked OK
* Edvinsson - Stood out because of his size. I don't know if his stick skills and processing is ready for the NHL just yet.
* Niederbach - Flashed some skill but didn't really stand out.
* Dower-Nilsson - Showed a shot and some skill. But didn't stand out.
* Phillips - Showed speed but not a lot of skill.
* Buium - Moves well, when he's not falling. Didn't see much skill.

Disappointed by:
* Mazur - Nothing was working.
* James - Ditto
* Hanas - This should have been a chance for him to shine. He didn't.
* Wallinder - Kind of like Edvinsson - but less involved.
* Cossa - Whenever I see him in a Wings or Team Canada jersey, it just doesn't go well. Reactions seem a little slow.
* Mastrosimone - Inconsistent skill - sometimes he had great hands, lots of times he struggled. But I'm worried about that skating.

Nothing really blew me away or changed perceptions very much.
Lombardi did enough to make me wonder if he's something to watch - when previously I simply didn't care about him.
I get the impression that anyone expecting Edvinsson to mirror Seider's year is in for a disappointment. He'll get to the NHL, but he looked pretty raw in Brobergian fashion.

I've had some doubts about Cossa since the rookie tournament and the WJCs. I have to say one takeaway from this tournament is I'm starting to wonder if he's the sure thing I thought he was.

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
Impressed by:
* Viro - Smooth, quick, effective
* Lombardi - WTF level good in the first game. Invisible in game 2
* Kasper - Skates like a top liner. Showed some skill. Skill isn't elite.
* Ali - Not a lot of skill, but he pushed the play constantly. Probably only above average speed. But never stops moving.
* Savage - Kind of the same. Skill is kind of there. Speed is good. Intensity wasn't quite what Ali showed.
* Plandowski - Played like his draft day scouting reports read. Smooth. Speedy. Creative.
* Sebrango - Probably the best player in the tournament. He was so active and involved in the rush I couldn't believe it was Sebrango.

Looked OK
* Edvinsson - Stood out because of his size. I don't know if his stick skills and processing is ready for the NHL just yet.
* Niederbach - Flashed some skill but didn't really stand out.
* Dower-Nilsson - Showed a shot and some skill. But didn't stand out.
* Phillips - Showed speed but not a lot of skill.
* Buium - Moves well, when he's not falling. Didn't see much skill.

Disappointed by:
* Mazur - Nothing was working.
* James - Ditto
* Hanas - This should have been a chance for him to shine. He didn't.
* Wallinder - Kind of like Edvinsson - but less involved.
* Cossa - Whenever I see him in a Wings or Team Canada jersey, it just doesn't go well. Reactions seem a little slow.
* Mastrosimone - Inconsistent skill - sometimes he had great hands, lots of times he struggled. But I'm worried about that skating.

Nothing really blew me away or changed perceptions very much.
Lombardi did enough to make me wonder if he's something to watch - when previously I simply didn't care about him.
I get the impression that anyone expecting Edvinsson to mirror Seider's year is in for a disappointment. He'll get to the NHL, but he looked pretty raw in Brobergian fashion.

I've had some doubts about Cossa since the rookie tournament and the WJCs. I have to say one takeaway from this tournament is I'm starting to wonder if he's the sure thing I thought he was.
Agree with much of this assessment. A few things I see differently:

- Lombardi wasn’t invisible the 2nd game. He was actually much involved and they made sure he was on the ice with the goalie pulled. I think he set a pretty insurmountable bar in game 1.
- Edvinsson looked like a guy who showed up last minute to a shinny, and probably felt like trying uber hard against lower competition could only hurt his stock. I’ve seen him play enough to know he was on cruise control.
- I was actually pretty impressed with James and Mazur. 3 on 3 isn’t their style of game, but the attributes I was looking for were evident at times. Speed, grit, with some offensive spurts. Sure, Lombardi impressed, but this was literally his style of game. Even at their max potential, I doubt James and Mazur are surefire overtime players at the NHL level.
- Hanas was making plays and while the stat sheet doesn’t show it, you could see he is head and shoulders above most prospects in terms of vision, craftiness, and pure skill. He and Kasper looked great together.
- Cossa scares me. Dude looks shaky and seems to lack confidence. Hoping just an off day.

Last edited:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Agree with much of this assessment. A few things I see differently:

- Lombardi wasn’t invisible the 2nd game. He was actually much involved and they made sure he was on the ice with the goalie pulled. I think he set a pretty insurmountable bar in game 1.
- Edvinsson looked like a guy who showed up last minute to a shinny, and probably felt like trying uber hard against lower competition could only hurt his stock. I’ve seen him play enough to know he was on cruise control.
- I was actually pretty impressed with James and Mazur. 3 on 3 isn’t their style of game, but the attributes I was looking for were evident at times. Speed, grit, with some offensive spurts.
- Hanas was making plays and while the stat sheet doesn’t show it, you could see he is head and shoulders above most prospects in terms of vision, craftiness, and pure skill. He and Kasper looked great together.
- Cossa scares me. Dude looks shaky and seems to lack confidence. Hoping just an off day.
Cossa doesn't turn 20 for another 4 months. So as a 19yo D+1 WHL Champion goaltender who was drafted #15 and not Top 5, I'd say he's right where ne needs to be. Still has at least 3-4 years until he sniffs the NHL.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Cossa doesn't turn 20 for another 4 months. So as a 19yo D+1 WHL Champion goaltender who was drafted #15 and not Top 5, I'd say he's right where ne needs to be. Still has at least 3-4 years until he sniffs the NHL.

Jake Oettinger (1st rounder in 2017) is probably your closest recent comparable that's now in line to be the starting goalie. Drafted in 2017 and got starts on the tail end of 2020-2021 (but those starts came out of injury woes). Even this season, he still played 10 AHL games.

So with that timeline, we're looking at 2025ish for him to get some NHL action rolling. A solid 3 years in front of us with at least 2 years in the AHL.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Jake Oettinger (1st rounder in 2017) is probably your closest recent comparable that's now in line to be the starting goalie. Drafted in 2017 and got starts on the tail end of 2020-2021 (but those starts came out of injury woes). Even this season, he still played 10 AHL games.

So with that timeline, we're looking at 2025ish for him to get some NHL action rolling. A solid 3 years in front of us with at least 2 years in the AHL.
Yep...I was going by him and Demko in Vancouver

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad