Boston Bruins Development Camp Ice Sessions Schedule? Tues, Wed, Thur 10a-2pm Fri closed except to season tix

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Up front, I thought the best player was probably Martin Bakos. Certainly skill wise he was sharper than most. He had more clean cut snipes and more nifty set-ups than anybody else on the ice. He wasn't as good as Bjork from last year, but this camp wasn't as strong overall. There were no Bjork/Donato/Pastrnak types this year, IMHO. That doesn't mean it won't prove to be a good group though- DeBrusk had a very underwhelming first camp and look at the season he just had.

They kind of kept the forwards in pairs and I think my top "pair" was Koppanen
and Steen. Steen is like a poor man's Marchand, small but quick and tenacious. He doesn't have Marchand's hands or creativity but he has similar heart and drive. Koppoanen is what he is, big and strong and his skating continues to improve, he's not "fast" but he doesn't look slow anymore. He's smart, he works hard and opts to shoot more often than not in 2on1 situations. I could see him becoming a quality 3c one day, in the mold of a Lars Eller.

Bakos and Lauko were probably the second best pair, at least off the rush. Lauko has an uncanny way of splitting the D without the puck to get behind the defensee where Bakos could drop in saucer passes for Lauko to bust in against the goalie. Lauko is fast, but I think his speed is more smarts/change of pace/opportunistic than unrivaled jets. He has hands and moxie too, often deking himself out of (and back into) trouble. In the smaller area games, Bakos was the stronger and more noticeable of the two, making more clever passes and then sniping when he had the shot.

Studnicka and Hall were probably 2b for me in terms of most effective pairs. They were actually better than Bakos and Lauko in the smaller space games, but were not as strong off the rush. They both pass really well and set each up for great chances. Hall seems shorter than advertised, at least 2 inches shorter than Studnicka (but maybe that's a function of their skating styles?). Studnicka looked very good; he's big and strong, he battles hard, sees the ice and passes well but also has the hands and confidence to look off a passing option and slip through traffic with the puck on his own. He leads by example and while I don't think he's ready now, he looks like a lock to become a middle6 center in the NHL.

Lagunov & Shen are up next. Shen has skill but it's not polished or completely under control yet. I saw him lose the puck as often as he made a good move or clever play. Like Lauko, he is very good at slipping behind the defense and getting open, and again I thought it was more opportunistic speed/change of pace than pure straight line jet speed. Lagunov was more of a passer, trying to set up Shen whenever he found an opening. Lagunov was also good at stealing pucks in the games, more reading plays and picking off passes than pinning someone on the wall and taking the puck.

Some other notables... Fossier, like Shen had some hit or miss moments. The puck seemed to find him at times, but he liked to take the puck out of traffic to quiet space and it kind of made his linemates stagnant. Still, he has skill and smarts. Becker is a moose and he had a couple nice goals on the day. Kuhlman also had a knack for tucking pucks just inside the posts.

Wow nice job PM. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your takes. Much appreciated

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Studnicka took a rub out high hit and was wincing as he came bzck anf angrily slammed door

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Mark divver live tweeted the scrimmage. Bakos and lauko were the only ones who scored who are bruins property (that he referenced). He also said swayman had a tough day. Every other goal scorer that was mentioned was a camp invite

Edit: Steve Conway tweeted shen got the game winner and Curtis Hall also scored. Big day for the rookie camp goers and draft picks it seems (including bakos).

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Mark divver live tweeted the scrimmage. Bakos and lauko were the only ones who scored who are bruins property (that he referenced). He also said swayman had a tough day. Every other goal scorer that was mentioned was a camp invite

Edit: Steve Conway tweeted shen got the game winner and Curtis Hall also scored. Big day for the rookie camp goers and draft picks it seems (including bakos).
This isn't true. the Bruins account tweeted the game too, with video. Shen, Hall, Lauko, Steen scored. Two other goals may have been by Bruins guys, but they didn't say who scored them.

Edit: missed your edit. Its not not true then!

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Based on some of the player updates that could be a different story this year.

Maybe, I don’t really care about the camp invites for the most part any of the years. They are just 21-23 year old college players looking to get a taste of a pro workout regimen, and the bruins are looking to fill out a camp with some more seasoned guys to push their teenage draft picks. So if they outplay the picks, it’s not massively surprising. And if they go back to college have a good year and explore free agency, you’d like to think their experience with the Boston development camp gives the b’s a leg up.

But I think it still comes down to 1. Level of interest around the league. 2. Path to the nhl. 3. Money.
If they sign with Arizona or St. Louis or buffalo or anywhere else it’s not surprising to me. The acceptance to camp doesn’t tie them to Boston. Boston gets just as much out of them going as they do.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Will be curious to see where Steen plays this year.

He’d get more playing time back in Sweden but Providence would allow him to adapt to the North American game.

Pare (aka Bergerooner) is top 3 in most improved from last year. He’s bigger, more physical and oozes confidence. His skating is what caught my eye today. His ability to change direction quickly is fluid and He’s able to stay with the play. He’s got good hands.

I can’t believe Swayman is only a Sophomore. Can’t wait to see what he does this season.

Liking Kyle Keyser as well. I see why Don is so high on him.

Bakos and Galipeau are going to be solid additions to Providence and I wouldn’t be shocked to see either of them in Boston at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00