Prospect Info: Development Camp ‘23

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Just got back from attending with two of my girls. First time at DC in probably 5 years. Thoughts on players below:

Lohrei - A man among boys. Easily the best player out there. Exactly what you want to see from a top prospect. His skill level is impressive. Not sure how ready he is in the defensive zone, but the physical tools and skills are all NHL ready. We'll see him in Boston this year.

Poitras - Definitely skilled, but not close to NHL. He is somewhere on a continuum of Zach Hamill to David Krejci. Does not stand out all the time, but really makes slick plays on a regular basis. Has jam and goes to hard areas and comes away with the puck.

Lysell - I was favorably impressed. I'd estimate he's close to a legit 5'11. He and Poitras are about exactly the same height. Lysell has a strong build though, like Marchand. I think he will challenge for an NHL roster spot because physically I think he's close to ready. I don't see a prolific scorer though. He does not really fill the net with goal or assists. I think he needs to be molded into a two way player because I see a guy in the 45-55 point range.

Duran - Just looks like a hockey player out of central casting - perfect build, strong skating, good skills. Just nothing stands out. 90% of making the NHL is hockey sense and he is nothing special there.

Pelosi - Definitely got my attention. Has that prototypical third liner style.

Brunet - Very skilled defenseman but looks one dimensional, like a Jon Moore.

Jellvik - Much improved from what I saw at BC. Still, not enough creativity to be more than an AHL player in my book. Like Steen with less jam.

Gasseau - One of my favorite prosects so I was hoping for a bit more, but this was not the perfect environment for him, especially the 3x3 which favors waterbugs. Better in the 5x5, he can really cover a lot of ice with those long strides and he is strong in hard areas. Still a favorite prospect.

Harrison - I was ready to dog him a bit but he had some decent plays in the scrimmage that showed deft touch. Not sure what his schtick would be at the NHL level.

Locmelis - Expecting a bit more from him. Some nice plays overall, but still looks underdeveloped physically which surprised me.
Was also at Warrior this morning

I agree with almost all your evaluations.....Lysell, Poitras and Brunet stood out to me - all looked like smooth and heady players

Lysell looked the most ready to make a jump- if seems whenever he had the puck an on the tape pass followed. With top tier line mates a lot of his passes would be converted into goals

Poitras has really good puck control skills and clearly needs to add some muscle- I like the somewhere on the Hamill- Kjechi continuum as a starting point, another year in juniors should move the needle .

Brunet was impressive- controlled play and showed a nice wrister- again needs a year in juniors ( or the AHL) and some added muscle. Couldn't tell from the scrimmage how much his defensive skills have been developed

Lohrei looked a bit rough at the out-set and played more likes forward than D....got better as the session went on...a ton of skill - reminded me a bit of a young Dougie Hamilton ( in a good way). Time in Providence makes total sense.

Harrison - didn't notice him in the first session but he showed better in the scrimmage. Have to wonder if focus and intensity are two areas for development

good crowd - probably 2/3 full- not bad given there not a lot of hype around this group.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Given his love of physical play and violence it would be great if he can eventually make it. All I know is that he had a pretty good season in London and saw video of one of his fights. Hopefully someone who has watched his games in London can give some insight.

Well, I just became aware of him today, through other posts.

I'm starving for physical, intimidating players and I hope Edward can make the jump. He's only 18.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

Walsh and Pelosi were the only two standouts/surprises to me. Love this stuff. Not as much as the details but it’s good to see Pelosi fits and I’m ready to hit the books on the Walsh kid but seems there has been buzz around him.

Edit : Actually after further review I didn’t think I read too much on the positive play of Langenbruner. That one is also a surprise.

Last edited:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Well, I just became aware of him today, through other posts.

I'm starving for physical, intimidating players and I hope Edward can make the jump. He's only 18.
He turned 19 back in February. When he was drafted in the 7th round last year I think the thing that excited Bs fans the most outside of his size were the scouting reports that said he doesn't just like physical play, but that his play is "violent." I too would be interested to know where his development is at aside from his solid numbers this past season in the OHL.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
That is freakishly low body fat. Even some professional bodybuilders compete at higher bodyfat than that. I hope someone tells him that is not a healthy body fat to maintain for a long period of time.
BF works ALOT different when your 18-22, but yes I agree, anything below 5 is competition shape for a Professional Body Builder. they go into extreme cutting for competitions and dont stay there long because they are touching 2-3% which is in the critical range of essential fats for proper brain function....

A young athlete in their physical prime (early to mid 20s) with proper diet/calorie intake could probably exist at 6-8 w/o issues. Wasn't Seguin at 6/7 for a while after being drafted?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Went M- W & F to DC

Beesfan above did a very good job but major emphatic disagree on Poitras . I might empty the Hockey Encyclopedia before I get to Hamill as a comp to him. Don’t see the Krejci either. Maybe a Higher competitive Ryan Spooner on Red Bull who goes into traffic areas

Lysell showed his skating and slick hands but he’s probably operating at 80%

The fact he was there and showed high tools was significant

Lohrei grew up playing forward as a sub 6 foot player before a growth spurt and position change and it shows when he has the puck - excellent hands and uses reach and body ro get into space with tune to make plays

These are my THREE I’d put money on if healthy become good NHL players (top 6 F & top 4 D)

Note: none of rhe players mentioned played in the Stanley Cup playoffs and were matched up against players from CHL, USHL, NCAA, and Europe

If I say something nice about a Forward he wasn’t up against Radko Gudas or Chandler Stephenson or Jane Stephenson

FREDERIC BRUNET

Got to the point I was waiting for him in scrimmage to jump over the boards he was so much fun to watch. He’s a playmaker and can move - looking forward to see what he does against guys significantly older and more experienced in AHL. Against 18-22 year olds impressive

KRISTIAN KOSTADINSKI LD

He’s huge - really huge, and didn’t look out of place in the scrimmage which considering his pre draft stuff I saw as high as round 3 and usually 4 or 5 means he’s got something

7th round - No brainer

ETHAN RITCHIE LD

One of my favorite players- older brother of Avs first round pick Calum, he flies

He’s 6’1 and his stats in Sarnia blew away Mast - and he led the Sting with a plus 39

He’s signed to an AHL contract as was undrafted - to me he was ‘wtf Eric, who the heck is this’ ….curious what others say because he stood out from the first skating drill Monday to Fridays shoot out

I’ll do Three Forwards later

Nassar
Duran
Pelosi

Duran & Pelosi I set out to consciously watch

Nassau kept showing up well

Last edited:

hutch22

Jan 10, 2004
Waterville, Maine
Visit site
Question to those who watched development camp:

Since both Ryan Mast and Kristian Kostadinski are both listed at 6'5" and 213lbs respectively, and I've never heard the term "huge human being" associated with Ryan Mast, is it possible that Kristian is bigger than his listed height/weight?

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Note the new emphasis on blue line size, and the possible emergence of Duran.

Conor Ryan,

Heft on the back end

A smaller, puck-moving stalwart on the blue line has been a staple of Boston’s defensive units for over a decade.

But just a quick glance at Boston’s Dev Camp roster signals how the team is targeting more beef on the blue line moving forward.

In total, the Bruins brought in 10 defensemen this week, nine of which are currently in the organization.

The average height of those 10 D-men? 6-foot-3. Average weight? 204 pounds. Hulking defensemen like Kristian Kostadinski (2023 seventh-round pick) and Jackson Edward (2022 second-round pick) are still raw, but their prickliness is evident on most contact drills.

Boston’s smallest option on defense is BU’s Ty Gallagher (2021 seventh-round pick) still made his presence felt during Friday’s scrimmage with some sound stick work and physical push-back around the boards.

Woburn native Duran seems destined for a checking-line role

Prospects like Lysell and Poitras might offer top-six upside if they hit at the next level. But in terms of set-in-stone projections, a physical forward like Providence’s Riley Duran seems like a lock as a fourth-line regular in due time.

ADVERTISEMENT:

The Woburn native and 2020 sixth-round pick has been productive during his two seasons with the Friars (39 points in 67 NCAA games). But Duran’s high motor and physicality stick out during 5v5 action, especially on Friday morning.

If he carves a path to the NHL, Duran should ingratiate himself to the TD Garden crowd in short order, given his pugnacious and committed style of play.

Odds and ends

If you missed Development Camp, just tune into any Hockey East contest later this year. Six players on Boston’s camp roster will play in the league this upcoming season, with Andre Gasseau and Oskar Jellvik in line for strong seasons on a stacked BC roster. Latvian-born Dans Locmelis will be a name to watch as he begins his collegiate career at UMass Amherst. … Both 2023 picks Chris Pelosi and Beckett Hendrickson popped during various battle drills, but both will need to tack on some much-needed weight. … Ukrainian-born goalie Hlib Artsabanov held his own in the net as a camp invite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad