Prospect Info: Development Camp ‘23

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Defense and Goal

Jackson Edward, he brought his usual swagger to camp, I always enjoy watching him go 100% through every drill, very athletic with a high compete level, he's starting to fill out, plays his position well enough but I have questions about his upside

Frederic Brunet, very happy with his growth this past year, his defensive game has come a long way to the point I hope he starts the year in Providence, his puck moving skills are high end, it looks easy for him, smart player, picks his spots well, exciting prospect

Ty Gallagher, Ty had what I would say was a professional yet quiet camp, of course I would've liked him to stand out a little more than he did but overall he was steady throughout, still on target to turn pro next Spring

Jonathan Myrenberg, first impressions are he's very talented and at the same time a bit raw, skating was fine but would like to see improvement with his edges, IQ, puck moving skills were good, positioning was ok, he's a good prospect but it could go either way

Mason Lohrei, showed why he's our best prospect , dominated drills, cleaned up the technical parts of his skating , showcased his vision and puck moving skills ,skys the limit with him

Ryan Mast, he did his part this week, the hulking 6'5 221 Right shot was pretty solid , he's shown + growth since he was drafted, I am hesitant to go "all in" with him as I have concerns that his OHL success was due more so to his size than actual talent, so we should temper expectations, camp wise he moved well and showed decent puck skills

Mason Langenbrunner, beautiful skater, crushed drills all week , seemed easy for him, why hasn't it translated to the College game? He makes a good first pass, has recovery speed. Plays his gaps well, picks his spots well, on the the verge of a breakout year or Development Camp Warrior?

Reid Dyck and Philip Svedebäck ,no complaints,I like where they are at in their development
Svedebäck has filled out,Dyck is filling out
I think we're in good shape depth wise for the time being

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Defense and Goal

Jackson Edward, he brought his usual swagger to camp, I always enjoy watching him go 100% through every drill, very athletic with a high compete level, he's starting to fill out, plays his position well enough but I have questions about his upside

Frederic Brunet, very happy with his growth this past year, his defensive game has come a long way to the point I hope he starts the year in Providence, his puck moving skills are high end, it looks easy for him, smart player, picks his spots well, exciting prospect

Ty Gallagher, Ty had what I would say was a professional yet quiet camp, of course I would've liked him to stand out a little more than he did but overall he was steady throughout, still on target to turn pro next Spring

Jonathan Myrenberg, first impressions are he's very talented and at the same time a bit raw, skating was fine but would like to see improvement with his edges, IQ, puck moving skills were good, positioning was ok, he's a good prospect but it could go either way

Mason Lohrei, showed why he's our best prospect , dominated drills, cleaned up the technical parts of his skating , showcased his vision and puck moving skills ,skys the limit with him

Ryan Mast, he did his part this week, the hulking 6'5 221 Right shot was pretty solid , he's shown + growth since he was drafted, I am hesitant to go "all in" with him as I have concerns that his OHL success was due more so to his size than actual talent, so we should temper expectations, camp wise he moved well and showed decent puck skills

Mason Langenbrunner, beautiful skater, crushed drills all week , seemed easy for him, why hasn't it translated to the College game? He makes a good first pass, has recovery speed. Plays his gaps well, picks his spots well, on the the verge of a breakout year or Development Camp Warrior?

Reid Dyck and Philip Svedebäck ,no complaints,I like where they are at in their development
Third DC for Mast. Has he ever actually flashed there?

I thought he was the surprise of big boy camp in 2021, at least for me. Quiet and didn't really show much at last year's.

It'll be interesting to see how he shows in September.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Defense and Goal

Great write up as always. Thank you.

Fwiw, I actually thought this was Gallagher's best camp. I thought he was fairly quiet in previous years but this year he made some confident offensive plays to go with the steady defense.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Third DC for Mast. Has he ever actually flashed there?

I thought he was the surprise of big boy camp in 2021, at least for me. Quiet and didn't really show much at last year's.

It'll be interesting to see how he shows in September.

It doesn't seem like there is much about Mast's game that would flash, even if he is playing well. If he makes it it is as a 3rd pairing defenseman, who plays a very responsible stay at home game

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
It doesn't seem like there is much about Mast's game that would flash, even if he is playing well. If he makes it it is as a 3rd pairing defenseman, who plays a very responsible stay at home game
Well, he's huge and he can skate, so there's every opportunity to stand out in a development camp. Kind of like what people were saying about that monster Swede 7th rounder. I didn't go this year, but everyone who did seemingly noticed him.

But, like you say, if Mast makes it as a bottom pair regular, that's a huge return on a 6th rounder.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Finally the Forwards

Riley Duran, strong showing, worked hard all camp, excellent progression since the Youngstown fiasco, well on his way to a pro career,I envision 2nd line wing as the ceiling, absolutely a power forward

Andre Gasseau, slow out of the gates but didn't take him long to establish his presence, another good looking prospect that has a few more warts than Duran to iron out, he's got light feet when he needs it,would like to see the intensity turned up and a bit more consistently , had many epic 1v1 battles with Duran that were must see

Brett Harrison, typical camp for Mr Harrison, showed off his shot,vision and offensive prowess and also coasted and abstained from contact , I think he's going to drive Mougenel nuts but he's also a safe bet to score 20 goals if afforded the opportunity, we'll see...

Oskar Jellvik, nice camp for Oskar, one of his deficiencies in College was his poor shooting choices, he seemed comfortable getting inside during the drills and hopefully it carries over to BC, I still enjoy watching him do everything at top speed,big year ahead?

Dans Locmelis, Monday- Thursday he was the best forward on the ice, unfortunately faded on Friday, really showcased the hands and IQ during these sessions, hopefully starts to pack on the weight as that's his biggest challenge

Fabian Lysell, missed Monday out an abundance of caution, had the Red safe space Jesey on for the next few days after that, showed off his sizzling skill and pace but he didn't look all that thrilled to be here, another we'll see...

Quinn Olson, I think this was his 5th camp, looked mediocre some days and solid on others, he is what he is, a fairly solid 2 way player and organizational depth, I assume he'll sign an AHL deal once his grad year is over

Matt Poitras, he's my most improved from last year, starting to put it all together, lots of tools to play with, excellent hands and vision, shot is sneaky good, still has that escapeability in tight, straight line speed is Krejci esc, defensively is his biggest liability but he isn't afraid to mix it up, solid prospect ,I see top 6 potential

Jake Schmaltz, hard to fairly grade Mr Schmaltz as his biggest strengths are Faceoffs and being defensively responsible, offensively doesn't have the upside some of the younger guys do, not much creativity there but he's hard to play against, I have to figure he'll stay in school for 4 years

Cole Spice, my 2nd most improved player from last year, really showcased an upswing in offensive touch, he was always around the puck and plays a gritty in your face style, he's a wide 5'11, I have high expectations for his Sophomore year at Minnesota Duluth, looks like a solid bottom 6 type

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
yes sir.
and I believe our old friend swung down for some Dev Camp eye tests.
Yes. He was there but not sure if he was there the entire week.

Assume you mean AGM? Or is there a connection with Leone I don’t know about (which is more than probable)
No I mean GM.

Sometimes the titles aren't always as they seem to be for reasons I don't fully understand in the USHL.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yes. He was there but not sure if he was there the entire week.

No I mean GM.

Sometimes the titles aren't always as they seem to be for reasons I don't fully understand in the USHL.
Oh ok. Leone is from the Cooper/Lalonde tree and a good friend played with Lalonde at Cortland and he’s still friends with him. I’ve heard his name tossed a bit. Wasn’t sure if I was missing something there.

Reactions: DominicT

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

So....

He is signed to play in the BCHL for next season.

BCHL is no longer under the Hockey Canada umbrella which makes transfers easier.

USA Hockey and the IIHF have once again agreed not to count Ukraine players as imports meaning Green Bay doesn't need an import spot for him.

It's now up to him on where he wants to play but Green Bay is hopeful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad