Prospect Info: Devellano comments on Anthony Mantha

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thought this comment was very interesting:
http://www.foxsports.com/detroit/st...uccess-bodes-well-for-red-wings-future-050415
"Very, very, very disappointing," said Wings Senior Vice President Jim Devellano, who saw the Griffins play their final three games, including Sunday's 3-1 win, over the Toronto Marlies. "And I say that with a lot of sadness. Coming out of junior, we had such high hopes for him."

Did we overhype him a little? Do we still love him as a prospect?

I'm not particularly worried about him, figured it would be good to get a discussion going though.

Aug 6, 2012
The puck never really seems to be on his stick. I think he needs to put more effort into retrieving the puck. Don't think there's a prospect in the league with as much raw talent though.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
He came into the season late after breaking his leg in the pre-season, but I am worried. He wasn't a force this season in GR and many thought he would be pushing to play on the Wings this year.

Mantha needs to have a great offseason and training camp, next year is massive for him.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Thought this comment was very interesting:
http://www.foxsports.com/detroit/st...uccess-bodes-well-for-red-wings-future-050415

Did we overhype him a little? Do we still love him as a prospect?

I'm not particularly worried about him, figured it would be good to get a discussion going though.

I saw the Griffins about a month ago and his play was pretty lackluster. I get that he wouldn't necessarily have the skills or hockey sense for the AHL yet being a fresh move up but it was his work ethic that really caught my attention. He played a lazy game. He barely skated and didn't do much when he didn't have the puck. Just seemed uninterested.

What really was annoying to me was during warm ups, Mantha and Ferraro maybe? stood off to the side and practiced their celes rather than taking shots on net.

It was only one game but since it was the first time I got to see Mantha it really changed my view on him.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Pretty dumb for Devellano to come out publicly and say something like that.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Why is it dumb? He has been lackluster all year. And he has all but disappeared in the playoffs. I understand expecting a slow start from him given the broken leg and all but right around now his leg is rehab'd and he isn't making a mark.

If anything it is more than likely a nudge towards him to get his ass in gear and start playing with the acumen that supposedly he has. If he doesn't respond with some blood boiling flowing through his veins then that will make management more upset with him.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I'm a bit disappointed tbh, I know the broken leg and no camp slowed him down to start out with but I really thought he'd have a big push in the second half (like PPG or more). Perhaps I got a little crazy based on his insane junior stats.
That being said I'm not too worried, if Mathanasiou stays together for the bulk of next season I could see him putting up that monster year in the AHL that most of us were expecting.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If his trade value hadn't already plummeted, it has now.

Well, the Wings weren't ever gonna trade him anyway, so what his value to any other team is doesn't matter at all.

Even so, it's Jimmy D saying this. Jimmy D also compared players to cattle a couple years ago. I think teams might take what the old man has to say with a modicum of salt.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Why is it dumb?

I'm sure you'd love it if your employer called you out in the media after your first year on the job. He could have used kinder words to express Mantha still has work to do. That's all he needed to say.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Were you expecting him to get traded?

Not this season. Holland obviously likes him a lot since we typically hear how most prospects are available but Mantha is "untouchable."

I thought next season would be a real possibility considering Detroit is still in need of a great defenseman or two and Mantha will be playing his second season in the AHL. With Mantha's play and now these comments, you'll be selling him for peanuts if you move him. Unless of course if some organization sees something we don't.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'm sure you'd love it if your employer called you out in the media after your first year on the job. He could have used kinder words to express Mantha still has work to do. That's all he needed to say.

It could very well be a personal challenge to see how he responds. If he is a supposed NHL all star in the making he will need to get use to critic's from media outlets.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Not this season. Holland obviously likes him a lot since we typically hear how most prospects are available but Mantha is "untouchable."

I thought next season would be a real possibility considering Detroit is still in need of a great defenseman or two and Mantha will be playing his second season in the AHL. With Mantha's play and now these comments, you'll be selling him for peanuts if you move him. Unless of course if some organization sees something we don't.

They aren't trading him. Even if they have a pressing need. That's what the 2016 1st or Nyquist/Tatar/Pulkkinen are for... or Ouellet/Jensen/Sproul, etc.

Mantha is one of the few wing prospects they have with skill AND size. He is just about as untouchable as any prospect could be.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
He's a bust. I don't understand how people expect him to be some elite player when he's usually one of the worst guys on the ice for the griffins.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
He's a bust. I don't understand how people expect him to be some elite player when he's usually one of the worst guys on the ice for the griffins.

Who has been saying this recently? They said that when he was coming out of juniors with those insane stats and then subsequently broke his leg... Don't pretend like you knew this months ago.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Hopefully it lights fire under his butt just like the comments of him having work ethic issues did last season.

I still have high hopes for Mantha and he's still the #1 prospect in our pool, imo of course. He's going to have to really evaluate what he wants to do next season and decided if he wants to take his game to where it should be or if he just wants to get by.

If he starts off slow again next year then I'll start to re-adjust my projection of him but I still think he can be a 30-30 guy for us.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada

Let's not go full Toronto on the kid and give him sometime to adjust. I think to many put to high of expectations on him and after 3/4 of a season are ready to call it a day.

Don't mean to single your post out.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Of course it would be great if he'd potted 50 goals this season, but given the deep playoff run he had last summer, then the broken leg, its no surprise that he might be struggling this season. You see it time and time again, even established NHL stars, they get injured in pre-season, and they never catch up. Throw in that this is his first pro season too (damn, I hate that stupid rule that kept him in junior an extra year).

So he gets a mulligan from me this season. Next season there is a lot of pressure on him to perform though.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Let's not go full Toronto on the kid and give him sometime to adjust. I think to many put to high of expectations on him and after 3/4 of a season are ready to call it a day.

Don't mean to single your post out.

I think some people might be underrating the impact of a developing player breaking his leg... He's not even fully developed physically yet and he was behind the 8-ball from the beginning of the season. You can't practice or even skate with a broken leg and his conditioning probably suffered. I know that's all well and healed now, but I'm curious to see how he looks next season after a summer of conditioning and training. Not ready to write him off yet.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Should've done a deal with buffalo IMO.. I think i remember correctly when i say that Mantha+1st+smith was atleast part in a deal for myers right? I sure as hell remember that Holland didn't wan't to trade for myers because they wanted mantha. But hey, i don't actually know what else they wanted maybe it was multiple 1st's or something.. But
Kronwall-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Myers
Quincey-Marchenko
Oulette

I mean that's a pretty solid D-core and after next season oulette would just take quinceys spot.
But hey, who really knows anyway.

Edit: And yeah, this is REALLY easy to say in hindsight ;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad