News Article: Devcore is willing

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I'm pretty sure both the RVL and the Devcore bids had libraries in them.

The Devcore plan had the new library being directly connected to the LRT station somehow.

TBH, I always liked the Devcore Canderel DLS Groups planned 18,500-seat arena that would be integrated into the Bayview/LRT light-rail station.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
honestly it was one thing when they were given the january deadline, i would have agreed with you if that was the only thing

the lawsuit and counter lawsuit basically throw it out the window unless both parties agree to simultaneously drop their lawsuits....and its not like eugene to be reasonable or stable or level headed

I'm sorry ........ but did I miss this "Counter Lawsuit" that you and others keep talking about?

I don't know of one, or heard of one, or can find anything on it, when doing an internet search.

No news articles found for John Ruddy counter lawsuit Melnyk.

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I'm sorry ........ but did I miss this "Counter Lawsuit" that you and others keep talking about?

I don't know of one, or heard of one, or can find anything on it, when doing an internet search.

For a guy that loves research, you sure aren't that good at it when it goes against your narrative.

Melnyk filed a $700 million lawsuit against Ruddy last Friday. Several sources indicate he is expecting a counter-suit, although the exact response is still being considered.

Link

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
With the likely announcement of the Seattle being awarded an expansion franchise, as soon as tomorrow........ and a (close to) $21 Million payday close behind, I doubt EM cuts the cord anytime soon.

What does the 21 million have to do with anything?

That's 21 million into Melnyks pocket to go with whatever other money he has that he won't invest in the team. Unless your saying he is investing in the team and he has no money left so the 21 million will allow him to spend his last 21 million on the team.

Melnyk stated that he is not spending anymore of his hard-earned money on the team. That includes the 21 million because the 21 million is not part of the team.

If Melnyk needs money for the team or Lebreton than it has to come from financing against the team value and assets. Why would he spend his own money on the team?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
For a guy that loves research, you sure aren't that good at it when it goes against your narrative.

Link

I asked for any information that indicated the COUNTER LAWSUIT, that was supposedly filed by Ruddy/Trinity, that everyone keeps talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cosmix

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
What does the 21 million have to do with anything?

That's 21 million into Melnyks pocket to go with whatever other money he has that he won't invest in the team. Unless your saying he is investing in the team and he has no money left so the 21 million will allow him to spend his last 21 million on the team.

Melnyk stated that he is not spending anymore of his hard-earned money on the team. That includes the 21 million because the 21 million is not part of the team.

If Melnyk needs money for the team or Lebreton than it has to come from financing against the team value and assets. Why would he spend his own money on the team?
It s not for put on the team. It s because he have a rumor in town when Seatle is fix Melnyk sale the club.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
What if Devcore builds the arena for EM, as he always wanted it for free, and EM pays the rent for 30yrs. Maybe part of the deal would include a portion of the profits from all the condos sold going forward as a result that he holds the paper for Lebreton? Therefore, he gets his new arena, gets some money in his pockets from all condos sold, NCC is happy and so is that goof Jim Watson. You never know, crazy stuff happens in high stakes of development all the time. This is all speculation on my part.

Correct me if I am wrong...

But assuming Devcore adds a margin to the operating costs of running the building, then Melnyks arena costs go up from where they are now.

If Melnyk does not own the arena then his revenue goes down dramatically. Concerts, events, naming rights, etc.

In order for this to work Devcore would have to lock him into it for a significant amount of time if not the entire period of the lease. This gives Melnyk no control if things go south.

There are so many more reasons but I just think that the business model doesn't work at all for Melnyk, never mind that the rent is probably no where near enough to produce ROI on the arena when take franchise value increase and additional HRR revenue out of the equation for Devcore.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dont think many around here needed a crystal ball, to see this being the end result....

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Really nice bush sitting here by Devcore,its like they knew EM would screw up a tap in

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

RULE 18 TIME FOR DELIVERY OF STATEMENT OF DEFENCE

TIME FOR DELIVERY OF STATEMENT OF DEFENCE

18.01 Except as provided in rule 18.02 or subrule 19.01 (5) (late delivery of defence) or 27.04 (2) (counterclaim against plaintiff and non-party), a statement of defence (Form 18A) shall be delivered,

(a) within twenty days after service of the statement of claim, where the defendant is served in Ontario;

(b) within forty days after service of the statement of claim, where the defendant is served elsewhere in Canada or in the United States of America; or
(c) within sixty days after service of the statement of claim, where the defendant is served anywhere else. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 18.01.

NOTICE OF INTENT TO DEFEND
.02 (1) A defendant who is served with a statement of claim and intends to defend the action may deliver a notice of intent to defend (Form 18B) within the time prescribed for delivery of a statement of defence. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 18.02 (1).
(2) A defendant who delivers a notice of intent to defend within the prescribed time is entitled to ten days, in addition to the time prescribed by rule 18.01, within which to deliver a statement of defence. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 18.02 (2).

and see

RULE 3 TIME
COMPUTATION
3.01 (1) In the computation of time under these rules or an order, except where a contrary intention appears,
(a) where there is a reference to a number of days between two events, they shall be counted by excluding the day on which the first event happens and including the day on which the second event happens, even if they are described as clear days or the words “at least” are used;

The statement of claim was filed and served on November 23, actually, we just know that it was a filed on November 23, I assume service took place this date as well, but that doesn't have to be the case. Regardless, if service did occur on November 23, Ruddy wouldn't have to serve the statement of defence/counterclaim until December 24th. This of course, presumes that Trinity filed a notice of intent to defend, which they likely did because everyone does.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014

Listened to the interview. It's short but worth it. With those last two points, it really came off as Poulin playing nice, not wanting to rock the boat, etc.. Probably because he knows how things went with Balsillie's attempt to become an NHL owner, which, as others have mentioned, was compounded by his open intent to move a team to Hamilton.

What really struck me was that Poulin came off as articulate and thoughtful. The exact opposite of Melnyk.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Listened to the interview. It's short but worth it. With those last two points, it really came off as Poulin playing nice, not wanting to rock the boat, etc.. Probably because he knows how things went with Balsillie's attempt to become an NHL owner, which, as others have mentioned, was compounded by his open intent to move a team to Hamilton.

What really struck me was that Poulin came off as articulate and thoughtful. The exact opposite of Melnyk.
So a nice guy with money????Two things that our current owner lacks...

Reactions: Mr Hat and FlyingJ

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I asked for any information that indicated the COUNTER LAWSUIT, that was supposedly filed by Ruddy/Trinity, that everyone keeps talking about.
I am sure it has been filed and is public record for any media member that wishes to write something on it, unfortunately, we know who the local media has chosen to side with here.

The most interesting part of all of this is that Poulin appeared on 580 CFRA this morning and TSN1200 discussed the release. If there was nothing in the works, both stations would have just completely ignored all the noise and came up with new creative ways to defend Eugene, as they have been doing for months. Even Steve Warne and JR, who carry almost as much water for Melnyk as Garrioch seemed willing to discuss the topic this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Yep, my thoughts as well. Probably took notes from the True North guys in Winnipeg who made sure to cross all their t's and make nice with Bettman and the BoG long before they got their team.

Reactions: Cosmix

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
So a nice guy with money????Two things that our current owner lacks...
Poulin is well off, but it's the billionaires, Desmarais and Laliberte, who have the deep pockets.

These sum up Poulin's tip-toeing around the arena and Sens ownership questions IMO.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Devcore isn't building an arena without team ownership im guessing?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Poulin is well off, but it's the billionaires, Desmarais and Laliberte, who have the deep pockets.

These sum up Poulin's tip-toeing around the arena and Sens ownership questions IMO.

I think he may have something to do with Bauer hockey,and has some ties to the area.Making him a very good candidate, to be the one actually interested party in owning the team

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
I think he may have something to do with Bauer hockey,and has some ties to the area.Making him a very good candidate, to be the one actually interested party in owning the team
True, though Desmarais has long been rumoured to be interested in owning a team. And hey, apparently he's tight with Bettman.

Edit, didn't the True North crew make sure to get in the league's good graces before the opportunity with the Thrashers/Jets popped up? Some similarities here perhaps, with the big difference being the potential to develop LeBreton would mean the Sens staying in Ottawa.

Reactions: topshelf15

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Do you really think that both Melnyk and Ruddy want to walk away from the millions they've already spent on the bidding process, over the past few years ........... AND the millions they would receive over the next two decades with Lebreton?

Sometimes a little pressure, like the deadline in January and now the re-newed interest from the runner up, is just what is needed to get both these multi millionaires to focus on the end game.

In the end I don't care who starts the re-development of Lebreton Flats, this bungled NCC file has been around for my entire time as an Ottawa resident ........ and would have be happy no matter won won the bidding process ........ and yes, the Senators will eventually end up in Lebreton, sooner of later.[/B]

:huh:

Hopefully you see how acting as the grammar police is childish and the lack of contribution it provides.

On topic, do minutes get released from BoG meetings?

Reactions: Engineer

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
This makes sense. DevCore have the money, they ability and the will to get this done.
They do need Melnyk's cooperation since it's his NHL franchise, but if I know anything about Desmarais, it's that he plays dirty. I'm expecting non-libelous rumours about Melnyk to emerge at some point if DevCore gets chosen, then whispers of Melnyk maybe not being a proper representative due to anger issues, etc. to the BOG. BOG eventually confronts Melnyk then...[gif]O-Ren Ichii terminating business arrangement[/gif].

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad