News Article: Devcore is willing

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Honestly, I thought this was a given. The NCC wants the land to be put to use, so if Melnyk isn’t going to do it, someone will.

A lot of events go on in Ottawa that require an NHL arena besides NHL games. Melnyk likely loses all of that revenue once the new stadium is built.

End of the day, moving downtown was vital to Melnyk being able to afford the Sens.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Honestly, I thought this was a given. The NCC wants the land to be put to use, so if Melnyk isn’t going to do it, someone will.

A lot of events go on in Ottawa that require an NHL arena besides NHL games. Melnyk likely loses all of that revenue once the new stadium is built.

End of the day, moving downtown was vital to Melnyk being able to afford the Sens.

so you're saying the hf vocal minority needs to boycott twice as hard

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The only thing I worry about is that the NHL BoG do not like outsiders trying to force their way in (see Balsillie). They're very much an old boys club. While I can't imagine they like Eugene much, he did at least go through the proper channels of buying a team that was publicly up for sale.

I desperately want this to go in Devcore's favour as it would likely force Melnyk to sell while keeping the team here, I just worry about said old boys club's reaction.

People think the other owners don't like Melnyk? the last thing they want is 'big shots' using or making reference to the NHL as a reason to get a development contract when they do not represent the NHL. Never mind trying to muscle in on a current owner.

Stupid statement for them to make on every level.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The only thing I worry about is that the NHL BoG do not like outsiders trying to force their way in (see Balsillie). They're very much an old boys club. While I can't imagine they like Eugene much, he did at least go through the proper channels of buying a team that was publicly up for sale.

I desperately want this to go in Devcore's favour as it would likely force Melnyk to sell while keeping the team here, I just worry about said old boys club's reaction.

oh im sure it will be an issue however there are a couple of things to note

1. Balsillie was looking to move the franchise, that isnt the case here
2. even objectively speaking the owner of the sens right now is costing them money now and in the future. Say for arguments sake we call all fans entitled and its the fans fault we are in this mess (i know that statement just made a few twitter bots happy), melnyk is still the pretty big part of why the sens are losing out on a downtown arena that was handed to them on a silver platter
3. Because sens are losing money this year (more so then previous years based off early projections) sens are going to require more revenue sharing/potentially a cash infusion from the nhl. I am sure the owners are going to be thrilled to be bailing out eugene...again

so while the old boys club will hate this move, devcore did the process the right way the first time with the rumored offer and now are looking to kick the door in by waving a sign that says we have money and are willing to spend it. Imo it comes down to the devil you know vs the one you dont and in this case the old boys club might just end up going with the one they dont know since that devil has money

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

2. even objectively speaking the owner of the sens right now is costing them money now and in the future. Say for arguments sake we call all fans entitled and its the fans fault we are in this mess (i know that statement just made a few twitter bots happy), melnyk is still the pretty big part of why the sens are losing out on a downtown arena that was handed to them on a silver platter
3. Because sens are losing money this year (more so then previous years based off early projections) sens are going to require more revenue sharing/potentially a cash infusion from the nhl. I am sure the owners are going to be thrilled to be bailing out eugene...again

so while the old boys club will hate this move, devcore did the process the right way the first time with the rumored offer and now are looking to kick the door in by waving a sign that says we have money and are willing to spend it. Imo it comes down to the devil you know vs the one you dont and in this case the old boys club might just end up going with the one they dont know since that devil has money

A non NHL owner using the NHL as leverage to land a city developmen project is going to fly with the NHL?

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
A non NHL owner using the NHL as leverage to land a city developmen project is going to fly with the NHL?

money is money and while i know the old boys club is going to hate the way this is done the league has been doing everything it possibly can to grow

and its not devcore holding anyone hostage, the arena was handed to melnyk on a silver platter and he blew it, the NCC gave him until january to try and fix it but instead he turned around and filed a lawsuit

can it really be called a hostage situation if you willingly handed the land back into the public domain?

'if you build it they will come', devcore is saying they can build it all now lets see the nhls response.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Devcor probably has more friends in the NHL offices then Melnyck does.

These guys are legit big money, big influence people. We’re talking they have Justin Trudeau in speed dial, star appeal beyond anything Meln can dream of and pockets as deep as anyone in Canada.

Also, if Devcor pushes, their marketing and media reach is as big as they want it to be.

The time is nigh

Reactions: Sun God Nika

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
money is money and while i know the old boys club is going to hate the way this is done the league has been doing everything it possibly can to grow

and its not devcore holding anyone hostage, the arena was handed to melnyk on a silver platter and he blew it, the NCC gave him until january to try and fix it but instead he turned around and filed a lawsuit

can it really be called a hostage situation if you willingly handed the land back into the public domain?

'if you build it they will come', devcore is saying they can build it all now lets see the nhls response.

You cant drag the NHL into a government bid and try to make NHL look like assholes for a city not reciving a brand new rink and a shiney new downtown. They are all going to be pissed right off.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Guy Laliberté is the guy who runs the circque who is also on devcore.

All the stories about his interest on the team, Melnyk acknowledging he had received offers on the team however "they weren't good" could be lining up.
laliberte owning cirque....that was so 4 years ago

Reactions: BonkTastic

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
You cant drag the NHL into a government bid and try to make NHL look like *******s for a city not reciving a brand new rink and a shiney new downtown. They are all going to be pissed right off.

the nhl is already doing that when their owner pissed away the opportunity. Melnyk was being handed a downtown arena and somehow messed it up lol

next man up is saying they can do it without any issues

bettman has said time and time again that ottawa needs a downtown arena for future viability and ottawa's current owner has cost them that

now the nhl/owners can pout and stomp their feet and say no, remain in kanata and continue to lose money forcing melnyk to either go bankrupt or sell the team at a much lower price or they can see if they can get devcore to bump up their rumored offer from the summer and to try to make all of this work. As all the twitter bots have stated on here its a business and im sure the other 31 nhl owners are not in this business to cover up for another owners mistake with their own money

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
im expecting like always after good news melnyks PR will release a statement they will not play in someone elses arena as soon as the fan base has some hope.

I have not been following the Lebreton stuff at all because I don't live in the city and would never be able to keep up, but it seems clear to me that of course Melnyk isn't going to want to play in someone else's arena. The Lebreton project was his cash cow, the way he was still going to make money off this team. But taking that away from him doesn't mean he'll give up and sell either. He's a tenacious little shit and will continue poking around here and there trying to find some hole to stick his doodle in

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That's the thing: if financial backing had been a major factor, wouldn't the inclusion of Desmarais and Laliberte with Devcore tipped e scales in their favour in the first place given how much more capital they have than Eugene?

the issue wouldn't be who has the most capital. ... that's not how it works...there would typically be a requirement to demonstrate you had sufficient capital

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
the nhl is already doing that when their owner pissed away the opportunity. Melnyk was being handed a downtown arena and somehow messed it up lol

next man up is saying they can do it without any issues

bettman has said time and time again that ottawa needs a downtown arena for future viability and ottawa's current owner has cost them that

now the nhl/owners can pout and stomp their feet and say no, remain in kanata and continue to lose money forcing melnyk to either go bankrupt or sell the team at a much lower price or they can see if they can get devcore to bump up their rumored offer from the summer and to try to make all of this work. As all the twitter bots have stated on here its a business and im sure the other 31 nhl owners are not in this business to cover up for another owners mistake with their own money

Lol ya right. I hope this is just a troll thread. You cant seriously think some contractor can us the 'NHL' to recive a huge development deal from the government when they are not part of the NHL? Or the NHL wants to be the face of some condo development?
I cant believe thats real. Is it?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Melnyck didn’t even ask for a downtown stadium. The NCC initialized the process, the NHL says it wants a downtown arena and it’s vital, now Melnyck is stuck.

He’s been out in a checkmate position by his own league and the city he dumped on for ages.

What a donkey. All he had to do was be polite and kind and everyone would still like him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
it'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next 6 weeks.

Reactions: Samboni

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Not only that, but the NHL doesn't want the Sens to move out of a good market in Ottawa to Quebec City when there are still some issues with teams like Florida, Calgary and Arizona. Losing QC as an emergency relocation point reduces the bargaining power of the NHL when it comes to pushing city governments for sweetheart deals.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not only that, but the NHL doesn't want the Sens to move out of a good market in Ottawa to Quebec City when there are still some issues with teams like Florida, Calgary and Arizona. Losing QC as an emergency relocation point reduces the bargaining power of the NHL when it comes to pushing city governments for sweetheart deals.

I think the time the NHL could hold franchises over cities and threaten to move is over, especially in Canada. Calgary and Ottawa have shown that. The mood of public money for sports franchises is non-exists t. Fans and politicians want their sports franchises to stand on their own 2 feet, and if you can’t do that - sell.

Ottawa example is the future of how these massive developments will go down. Fans aren’t being held hostage by an NHL owner like they could do 20 years ago. Melnyck threatened to move and the fans, city and NHL laughed in his face

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Imagine you were selling NHL shirts. They would shut your ass down. Now what would they say if you slaped that NHL tag on a 4 billion dollar deal? A major government land transfer deal?
The idea that anyone thinks the BOG is goning to be ok with this is crazy talk. They will insist Devcore never uses there name again while trying to make money.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
What if Devcore builds the arena for EM, as he always wanted it for free, and EM pays the rent for 30yrs. Maybe part of the deal would include a portion of the profits from all the condos sold going forward as a result that he holds the paper for Lebreton? Therefore, he gets his new arena, gets some money in his pockets from all condos sold, NCC is happy and so is that goof Jim Watson. You never know, crazy stuff happens in high stakes of development all the time. This is all speculation on my part.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I predict 1 of the following to occur:
- EM withdraws his bid, says the Sens don’t need to be downtown, won’t play in another guy’s barn and will stay in Kanata.
- EM tries to keep LeBreton, the NCC says no and indicates they will re-open the competition. EM launches a lawsuit against the NCC for $700 million.

My guess is EM will do the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3