Devan Dubnyk is playing great hockey right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, he's 5-3-2 against teams not in Edmonton with a .913 sv%. Edm is doing their best to make him look good.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Could it be that he was trash during his last few Edmonton games? I mean, he didn't prop back up without any delay: he was in the Nashville, and Montreal systems for a couple of months before finding his groove in Arizona.

PTK

Oct 15, 2010
Edmonton is a goalie graveyard. Unstructured and soft, their style would wear down most goalies. Especially when the finger gets pointed at them as the cause of the teams problems. Dubnyk was shell shocked. Post traumatic stress disorder. :) Took him a few months to get his confidence back.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Does he have a legit shot at the starting gig long-term? If Smith continues to suck as much as he has thus far, I can't imagine they'll keep on starting him, big contract or not.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If anything it shows Phoenix should never invest long term in a goalie. Find a sucker to take on Smith's laughable contract (hello, Edmonton?) and put that 6+ million into a couple forwards to put around your high pick.

bolobow

May 3, 2006
Well, after a couple weeks with Minnesota, he is looking even better than he did in Arizona.

5-1-0 .935

So this year he's outplayed Mike Smith, Niklas Backstrom and Darcy Kuemper; and under two different teams/coaches/systems. I think he's rebounded back to being a legit starter.

Biggs111

Apr 18, 2014
Well, after a couple weeks with Minnesota, he is looking even better than he did in Arizona.

5-1-0 .935

So this year he's outplayed Mike Smith, Niklas Backstrom and Darcy Kuemper; and under two different teams/coaches/systems. I think he's rebounded back to being a legit starter.

It's amazing what forwards can do with a half decent goalie behind them... Their 4th goalie that is...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Edmonton is a goalie graveyard. Unstructured and soft, their style would wear down most goalies. Especially when the finger gets pointed at them as the cause of the teams problems. Dubnyk was shell shocked. Post traumatic stress disorder. :) Took him a few months to get his confidence back.

Funny thing is, Dubs did just fine in Edmonton before Eakins came along. Then came the Eakins swarm and his other variations of it and no goalie ever looked good behind it.

Dubs sav % so far this year, .920. In 12/13 with the Oilers, it was .920.

Eakins was the culprit, and Dubs would still be the Oilers goalie right now if we hired a qualified GM in 2013 instead of MacT. Eakins IMO actually had better D groups to work with in 13/14 and this season compared to what Krueger had in 12/13.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
He's been fantastic ever since coming to Minnesota.

Maybe it's just because we had to suffer through probably the league's worst goaltending for over a month with Kuemper/Backstrom, but it's certainly been refreshing.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Maybe it's just because we had to suffer through probably the league's worst goaltending for over a month with Kuemper/Backstrom, but it's certainly been refreshing.

Well I mean his numbers have been fantastic too, something lke 5-1-1 with a .935 sv% and 1.71 GAA. It's not just because he looks good by comparison.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Funny thing is, Dubs did just fine in Edmonton before Eakins came along. Then came the Eakins swarm and his other variations of it and no goalie ever looked good behind it.

Dubs sav % so far this year, .920. In 12/13 with the Oilers, it was .920.

Eakins was the culprit, and Dubs would still be the Oilers goalie right now if we hired a qualified GM in 2013 instead of MacT. Eakins IMO actually had better D groups to work with in 13/14 and this season compared to what Krueger had in 12/13.

Dubnyk was terrible his last year here, and it was all on him (well, and the goalie coaches). His technique was atrocious, and what made him better again was going to the Coyotes, and having an actual goalie coach (Burke) completely overhaul his game to be where it was

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I thought he'd do well with the Wild.

There were a lot of people in the trade thread who were sure he wouldn't. :laugh:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Most Oiler fans were saying Dubyk was trash and I kept rubbing my eyes at their posts because the guy I watched was a competent goalie. He was shell shocked by quality chances.

Devan Dubyk was trash...he didnt even make it to the NHL. :sarcasm:

Devan Dubnyk however was VERY prone to allowing back breaking soft goals...often in the early stages of a game..or late in a tie game ..the Oilers were too fragile a team to overcome these goals...and probably still are.

Couldnt believe a guy that stands 6'6 could look so small at time in goal...

Dubnyk and the Oilers were a mix of problems. Dubby is on record saying Sean Burke helped him refine his game..which is why hes at where he is today.

And again, I hope he continues to succeed..quality person.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Dubnyk was terrible his last year here, and it was all on him (well, and the goalie coaches). His technique was atrocious, and what made him better again was going to the Coyotes, and having an actual goalie coach (Burke) completely overhaul his game to be where it was

Multiple reasons for his bad season. He had a kid, so distractions at home. Equipment changes. The Eakins swarm that allowed constant golden chances against in the slot. MacT making every opportunity to trade him and making everyone know he didn't think Dubs could be a #1 goalie in the media in the 2013 off-season. Bad goalie coaching, although it worked for him well enough in previous years to put up good stats.

What a proper GM would have done with Dubs, a guy we developed and invested into for years, would first be to not talk crap about him all off-season and talk about all your attempts to replace him. Next if he is having a bad year make a goalie coach change, and have a little patience with him and don't jump to blame him for all the teams problems (to protect your terrible HC). No legit GM would have ever hired Eakins as HC, so I won't bother going into how Eakins should have been fired less than a month into the 13/14 season when it was obvious to the entire hockey world he was in over his head.

Lots of players have bad years (look at Mike Smith this year who is also coached by Burke, the guy that supposedly recreated Dubs from a broken shell of a man to having equal performance to how he was in 12/13 with the Oilers and Chabot). Doesn't mean you throw them away like trash. Especially guys you developed for years, who have shown they can be good at their position as recently as the previous season, and that you can't easily replace. But, MacT made up his mind even before the 13/14 season that he just didn't like Dubs (like he did with Petry before this season) and he turned into a very convenient guy for MacT to blame for the failed 13/14 season to buy Eakins and himself more time.

Last edited:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I watched him on the Oilers his last season, he was not an NHL calibre goalie. Simple saves would squeak through him, no confidence, just terrible. He did however show his potential his first year with the Oilers (at least I remember it was, few years back now).

I also don't think he is as good as his current stats. A combination of sample size and situation/team he is on inflates his numbers.

I think in the end he is an okay starter. Middle to low end type starter.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He's not the right type of goalie for our team, even if we were a better squad. What we really need is a quick moving goalie who can play the puck. Dubnyk makes sense in Minny with that system they play.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
He's not the right type of goalie for our team, even if we were a better squad. What we really need is a quick moving goalie who can play the puck. Dubnyk makes sense in Minny with that system they play.

I think a goalie like Carey Price or prime Patrick Roy would be a good fit for your squad.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Really happy to see Dubs tearing it up after being dumped last year. In fairness his game was a mess when he left Edmonton, and "probably" not entirely his fault. I felt horrible for him at the time, but he has been phenomenal this year.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
He's not bad at all. He was inconsistent a good chunk of his career early on, but he's had several solid seasons.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
interesting that he ranks as the best goalie in the league on waronice for high quality shots.... whatever that means. Kuemper does make him look good. Other then smith hes one of the worst goalies in the league to play 1000 minutes this season

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
interesting that he ranks as the best goalie in the league on waronice for high quality shots.... whatever that means.

Whatever does it mean? As in, when you say "best" do you mean that he faces the most high quality shots, or faces the least high quality shots?

I do note that Dubnyk's slate of opponents has not been good at all since he was picked up by Minnesota:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1501681

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese