Devan Dubnyk is playing great hockey right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Guy is 8-3-2 on a McDavid contender. Basically when he plays goal, they have a great chance at winning, whereas when Smith (5-15-2) tends net, they have no chance of winning.

Dubnyk has a .924 SV% and 2.52 GAA to go along with 1 shutout.

Given I think a lot of people had given up completely on this guy, I think it's great to see him figure things out with Burke.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think it's really neat how two goalies for the same team can have such completely opposite stats.

I wonder what the Coyotes could have been this season if Dubnyk was the starter all along.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
A couple years ago, he was the reason why Edmonton wasn't even worse off.

He's a capable goalie.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
People forget that before last season Dubnyk didn't look atrocious or get a reputation for being a trash goalie. He actually posted some okay stats in seasons before that on the Oilers. Then there's also the fact that Scrivens/Fasth also both look like trash on the Oilers now despite both of them looking like quality goalies before going there and even for their first bit of games there.

Right now Edmonton is a diseased culture when it comes to a winning mentality and it doesn't look like probably the worst place to be a goalie in the league. So it's not surprising that Dubnyk looks good again unless you were one of those people who thought Dubnyk was a primary reason for the Oilers ineptitude last season.

With that said, he's not this good probably and it could just be a hot streak. It's goalie, there's lots of ups and downs there and a lot of contextualization behind goalie stats.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah, looking more and more obvious that Edmonton isn't a place where you can be a goalie.

Dubnyk sucked in Nashville as well, who isn't exactly poor defensively.

This speaks more to Tippett than it does to Edmonton, just like Bryzgalov and Smith before this. Bad goalies go there to play well. This isn't new.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Definitely thread worthy for Dubnyk.

Great to see for him as well. He looked like he was well on his way to Europe or worse the last couple of years, now he looks primed to be the Yotes starter moving forward. Fantastic turn around for him.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Get Smith back in the net. He's being paid a lot of very rare and valuable Arizona Coyote dollars to be the starter for 75%+ of the games.

Embrace the tank.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Remember when Oilers fans were ruthlessly mocked for thinking Dubnyk wasn't a terrible goalie?

Good times, good times.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Remember when Oilers fans were ruthlessly mocked for thinking Dubnyk wasn't a terrible goalie?

Good times, good times.

Not sure what you're remembering, but most of the people on here that were calling Dubnyk absolute trash and a reason for their losses were Oilers fans last season.

JS91

May 14, 2014
He is a pretty big guy and his technique isn't that bad, so as long as he keeps his head straight and mind in the game I think that he can be a pretty solid goalie.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

This speaks more to Tippett than it does to Edmonton, just like Bryzgalov and Smith before this. Bad goalies go there to play well. This isn't new.

Would it not be more about Sean Burke than Dave Tippett?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Dubnyk played exactly 60 minutes in Nashville....

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Get Smith back in the net. He's being paid a lot of very rare and valuable Arizona Coyote dollars to be the starter for 75%+ of the games.

Embrace the tank.

The world needs more this:

DelightfulPerkyGrosbeak

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
He's remembering the season before Dubnyk got traded. When Oiler fans were high on Dubnyk, and got ruthlessly mocked for it.

You have a selective memory?

Forgive me if he wasn't clear on what season he meant or if I don't focus my attention on the journey of one low profile NHL goalie stretching back several seasons on a team I don't follow. Or if I'm not up-to-date on HF drama from years ago. Or if I don't care to hold a grudge over HF drama from years ago.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Forgive me if he wasn't clear on what season he meant or if I don't focus my attention on the journey of one low profile NHL goalie stretching back several seasons on a team I don't follow. Or if I'm not up-to-date on HF drama from years ago. Or if I don't care to hold a grudge over HF drama from years ago.

Then maybe don't reply to him? Why try to counter his post if you don't know what went on?

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Guy is 8-3-2 on a McDavid contender. Basically when he plays goal, they have a great chance at winning, whereas when Smith (5-15-2) tends net, they have no chance of winning.

Dubnyk has a .924 SV% and 2.52 GAA to go along with 1 shutout.

Given I think a lot of people had given up completely on this guy, I think it's great to see him figure things out with Burke.

I'm cheering for him. I think he took an unfair share of the blame for the trainwreck in Edmonton during the 2013-2014 season, and I think the events of the 2014-2015 season are proving that he wasn't the real problem.

He seemed like a good guy and I hope he has a good career.

Except that the other half of the Coyotes goalie tandem, Mike Smith, is right between Scrivens and Fasth among the 3 worst goalies in the league. Dubnyk's a full goal per game better than the goalie who plays behind the exact same defense. Ponder on that for a while.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm cheering for him. I think he took an unfair share of the blame for the trainwreck in Edmonton during the 2013-2014 season, and I think the events of the 2014-2015 season are proving that he wasn't the real problem.

He seemed like a good guy and I hope he has a good career.

Except that the other half of the Coyotes goalie tandem, Mike Smith, is right between Scrivens and Fasth among the 3 worst goalies in the league. Dubnyk's a full goal per game better than the goalie who plays behind the exact same defense. Ponder on that for a while.

Dubnyk wasn't the problem. Fasth and Scrivens are. :sarcasm:

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Most Oiler fans were saying Dubyk was trash and I kept rubbing my eyes at their posts because the guy I watched was a competent goalie. He was shell shocked by quality chances.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Why can't people accept that hockey players can have bad years??
It's always about "these fans used to say this but I knew I was right all along blah blah blah" for some of you.

Tavares is having a bad year, Hall is having a bad year, Stamkos is having a relatively bad year, Duchene is having a bad year, Miller was bad last year, etc...

Dubnyk was very good in the shortened season, followed it up with a bad year, and was moved as a result. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->