Post-Game Talk: Detroit wins 4th in a row! Wings 2 - Ducks 1

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I was curious about Mrazek compared to other goalies so I did some light digging into his stats.

First of all, he's got 7 shutouts in 69 regular season games. That's over 10%. That's elite status. Howard has 21 in 346 games. Guys like Lundqvist, Price, Rask are all hovering around 9-10%. Who knows if he can keep that up but I like it. Basically means he's gifting us a win every 10 games.

8th best SV since 2009. 6th best if you cut out the two guys who've played fewer than 50 games. 11th best GAA or 7th best if you cut out the 4 with fewer than 50 games.

He's already putting up top10 goalie numbers. Kid is amazing.

Actual Thought*

Whatever. On a 4 game win streak and sitting 3rd in the conference.

Things could be much worse. The complaining over Blashill for the sake of complaining is obnoxious.

Can you honestly say that you like what you see? You really believe he is doing a great or even good job? What aspect of the team's play is better than last year?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can you honestly say that you like what you see? You really believe he is doing a great or even good job? What aspect of the team's play is better than last year?

Good job, not a great job.

Team is virtually in the same position as last year. Not going to complain when we are sitting 3rd in the conference. Feel free to continually spaz out on Blashill over trivial things though.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I was curious about Mrazek compared to other goalies so I did some light digging into his stats.

First of all, he's got 7 shutouts in 69 regular season games. That's over 10%. That's elite status. Howard has 21 in 346 games. Guys like Lundqvist, Price, Rask are all hovering around 9-10%. Who knows if he can keep that up but I like it. Basically means he's gifting us a win every 10 games.

8th best SV since 2009. 6th best if you cut out the two guys who've played fewer than 50 games. 11th best GAA or 7th best if you cut out the 4 with fewer than 50 games.

He's already putting up top10 goalie numbers. Kid is amazing.
Is he making a case for being on the Czech world cup roster?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Blashill hockey sucks. That much is crystal clear. It is only because of goaltending they have won as much as they have. "Greatness is a daily choice" :laugh: I wonder what day Blashill is going to make that "choice"?

Oh yeah, I remember when you mentioned that the first time.

In September.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Yeah, he's doing a good job. Not great, but good. The team is positioned where virtually everyone predicted them to be. Well, except you.

Of course there's room for improvement but I don't expect a first year coach to be flawless. Babcock coached us for 10 years and still had flaws by the time he left.

The team plays better 5-on-5 than they did last year. They're also much better at getting leads instead of constantly playing from behind. They are a competent PP away from being a top team in the East, which they can hopefully figure out at some point. However, I'd rather be winning games 5-on-5 than through our PP like last season. PPs aren't as prevalent in the playoffs. They have by far the most total amount of time in the third period with a lead. Of course they've blown some of those leads but they've been better about that recently.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
It's upsetting to see z and dats so invisible

It would be nice if they were just coasting through the regular season and find another gear in the playoffs. That could put us over the top. Sometimes I feel like Datsyuk is just coasting out there. As long as we're in a playoff spot I'm ok with it.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
It would be nice if they were just coasting through the regular season and find another gear in the playoffs. That could put us over the top. Sometimes I feel like Datsyuk is just coasting out there. As long as we're in a playoff spot I'm ok with it.

Maybe that's the silver lining. We're doing equally well to previous years, but right now are not relying as much on them to win the games as before. So.. maybe the rest of the team is in fact getting a bit stronger(we certainly have a couple of new game changers in Larkin and Mrazek), and if Z&D can keep themselves fresher and be ready to bring it in April and onwards that could leave us in a good spot. Some of these other years they were all but spent when the games started to matter.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Is he making a case for being on the Czech world cup roster?

I'm sure he's No. 1 if the tournament starts tomorrow. Pavelec is injured and has always been rather inconsistent (he had some good WCHs with Czechs but Sochi was a disaster). Neuvirth is one of the best backup goalies in the league but he's not going to get significiant number of games behind Mason. European goalies like Kovář or Salák aren't too convincing on international level.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Good job, not a great job.

Not going to complain when we are sitting 3rd in the conference. Feel free to continually spaz out on Blashill over trivial things though.
You're an apologist...and it's pathetic to see. This is not sustainable hockey. Pete isn't Hasek or Roy yet, and leaning on our goaltending while we continue to look almost inept offensively will lead to nothing but a continuation of what we've already seen. If you're taking every criticism of the offense, PP and lack of consistency as an attack on Blashill maybe you need to realize that it's a combination of factors...Holland's roster management being culprit numero uno. This isn't just a Blashill problem.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You're an apologist...and it's pathetic to see..

Hahaha, well this is a first.

This is not sustainable hockey. Pete isn't Hasek or Roy yet, and leaning on our goaltending while we continue to look almost inept offensively will lead to nothing but a continuation of what we've already seen. .

Okay. So what should we be doing? Versus what we have done so far? Should we be in 1st instead of 3rd? Do you see a team that justifies that in place?

If you're taking every criticism of the offense, PP and lack of consistency as an attack on Blashill maybe you need to realize that it's a combination of factors.

I'm not. I'm taking months and months of attacks against Blashill by one particular person, and pointing out how we are in fact sitting fine in the standings and not floundering like they are trying to make it out to be.

...Holland's roster management being culprit numero uno. This isn't just a Blashill problem.

And I've said it's more about the team on the ice than the guy behind the bench a million times on this board.

Last edited:

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Hahaha. Well this is a first. Someone calling me a Holland apologist.
Holland apologist...no. Blashill apologist...yup. Every time a criticism is made about this team...and there are SEVERAL flaws inherent to this roster before Blashill even got here...you defend Blashill and the job he has done. So we've won 4 straight, at times being out played and at no time looking dominant or overly impressive and you won't complain, even though nothing about this winning streak has been impressive aside from Larkin and Pete. It's not sustainable hockey.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Holland apologist...no. Blashill apologist...yup. Every time a criticism is made about this team...and there are SEVERAL flaws inherent to this roster before Blashill even got here...you defend Blashill and the job he has done. So we've won 4 straight, at times being out played and at no time looking dominant or overly impressive and you won't complain, even though nothing about this winning streak has been impressive aside from Larkin and Pete. It's not sustainable hockey.

Which teams have looked overly dominant or impressive this season? The Caps and Stars? Florida and Chicago have had recent hot streaks but were not dominating before that. I don't think they can reach that next level until our defense is addressed.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Last season after 42 games, the Wings had a 22-11-9 record with 53 points and had scored 117 goals and given up 106 goals.

I'd say Blash has this team right where Babcock would have them this season when you factor in Kronwall turning into a pumpkin and Datsyuk missing the first 15 games.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

So what should we be? In first place? Blowing teams out? You tell me.

And I'm only defending Blashill because the accusations against him are so absolutely absurd. Notice how it's always in response to the same person? Uh, that's not a coincidence, dude.

I've also criticized his line combos, and pointed out several things I don't like that he does. Even made a thread saying he grossly misused Glendening earlier this season.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
So what should we be? In first place? Blowing teams out? You tell me.

And I'm only defending Blashill because the accusations against him are so absolutely absurd. Notice how it's always in response to the same person? Uh, that's not a coincidence, dude.

I've also criticized his line combos, and pointed out several things I don't like that he does. Even made a thread saying he grossly misused Glendening earlier this season.

I think that's pretty much it, it's hard to fault a coach when he's having the same issues that the previous coach had. This roster looks great on paper, tons of depth, tons of upside, but the reality is that the key pieces are aging or non-existent. The best teams in the league start from the goalie out and right through the middle. We have the goalie, but our centers are weak and our defense is deplorable.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I think that's pretty much it, it's hard to fault a coach when he's having the same issues that the previous coach had. This roster looks great on paper, tons of depth, tons of upside, but the reality is that the key pieces are aging or non-existent. The best teams in the league start from the goalie out and right through the middle. We have the goalie, but our centers are weak and our defense is deplorable.

Our centers are pretty good. Not the best in the league, but far from a weak point. I'd say our defense is our biggest downfall.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Which teams have looked overly dominant or impressive this season? The Caps and Stars? Florida and Chicago have had recent hot streaks but were not dominating before that. I don't think they can reach that next level until our defense is addressed.
The level of mediocrity throughout the league is at an all time high. That should be no excuse as to why Detroit is in the position they are in right now as far as the roster is concerned. I'm not overly impressed with Blashill but I'm fine with him at this point...the composition and management of this roster is far more of an issue. We don't have a #2 d-man on this team, let alone a #1. Think about that. We leaned on Kronwall until his wheels came off (and they've been wobbling and finally fell off in a major way this year) and now we have a bunch of depth d-men and no stand out, game changing ability. Just one example of how poorly run things have been going on several years.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Our centers are pretty good. Not the best in the league, but far from a weak point. I'd say our defense is our biggest downfall.
Nah...Heaton is right. It's time to call it like it is. Father time finally won against Pav...it always does. He isn't half the player he was even two years ago. He's pushing 40 coming off ankle tendon surgery. He's a shell of himself. Hank has been merely a solid player for a while now who goes through long stretches every year where he looks pretty much done. Glendening is a decent checking center and Sheahan is still trying to find consistency in his game. The center position is most definitely a weak spot now on this roster.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
It's upsetting to see z and dats so invisible

I mean, what do you expect? They are both at the tail ends of their careers and have taken a ton of wear over the years. They are both producing at a very good level for guys in their situations. They could be Vinny Lecavalier for God sakes...

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
8snake, you seem to be switching gears, here. Do you still consider Frk it a Blashill apologist? Right now it looks like the contention is switching to the weakness of the roster l, which isn't exactly something Blashill has a lot of control over.

Nobody is calling Blashill a Jack Adam's candidate. I think with this roster he is plenty satisfactory considering a HoF coach left and the team is basically in the same position. We improved in some respects roster-wise but out core has been one of the worst aspects of our team and has partially negated those improvememts. Seems like another middle of the road 1st round exit team, Blashill or not.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Nah...Heaton is right. It's time to call it like it is. Father time finally won against Pav...it always does. He isn't half the player he was even two years ago. He's pushing 40 coming off ankle tendon surgery. He's a shell of himself. Hank has been merely a solid player for a while now who goes through long stretches every year where he looks pretty much done. Glendening is a decent checking center and Sheahan is still trying to find consistency in his game. The center position is most definitely a weak spot now on this roster.

Datsyuk isn't what he once was but that's to be expected. He has 13 points in his last 17 games and is still dominant possession wise.

If we had weak centers and weak defense we wouldn't be 3rd in the East.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are both still 60+ point players. That's 1C production in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad