GDT: Detroit @ Washington - 10.29.14 7:30 PM - NBCSN

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Greens back on PP1 now too.

Yep, yep, Tortz is all about promoting people who are playing well. Carlson has been a bit too lackadaisical recently. Guy needs to get his head out of his ass. Still think he is our best all around defenseman.

Green has been stellar though. He deserves this.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
if Barry Trotz is truly a merit-based coach when it comes to line assignments and playing time, this has me wondering just how short a leash he will have with goaltenders. I wonder how Korn will influence that decision making process

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
bubble playoff teams? last season? to call any team a bubble playoff team at this point is kind of silly.

Yes, last season.

They were fighting for the same last few playoff spots last season = NBC rivalry.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 7m7 minutes ago
Eric Fehr off the ice before Tom Wilson, if that's a clue. Trotz talking soon.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
if Barry Trotz is truly a merit-based coach when it comes to line assignments and playing time, this has me wondering just how short a leash he will have with goaltenders. I wonder how Korn will influence that decision making process

He will most certainly give some players a longer leash.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
For the most part, do we all collectively agree for once the goalies have been decent? I don't think Trotz is going to hold the goalies on a short leash. I believe Korn is their stable master and has it quite under control.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt · 17m
Neither Wilson nor Fehr know if they're playing tonight yet so DUN DUN DUN DRAMA.

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt · 7m
Tom Wilson a warmup-time decision tonight vs. Detroit, Trotz said. "Good chance" he plays. If Wilson goes, Fehr scratched.

Game-time decision.

Last edited:

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I've loved just about everything Trotz has done thus far but I do not understand keeping Beagle in the lineup over Fehr.

He's just trying to light some fire under some guys. A subtle threat of being benched is a wake up call to a lot of guys, or if he does and gets another chance to come back in he will make the best of it.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Carlson has been a bit too lackadaisical recently. Guy needs to get his head out of his ass. Still think he is our best all around defenseman.

Could be, but IMO so far this season, based purely on what has transpired on the ice, you could argue he's been #5.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
The only issue I have is that its Fehr that might not be playing....compared to Beagle. If Wilson is ready....Beagle should be the one sitting. Not Fehr.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
What the heck does Fehr do to get in the doghouse? This is like the 3rd coach who's done that. His effort level in games always seems to be high.

Burakovsky95*

Glad to see Wilson back in the lineup and hope he shakes off the rust.

Lines are fine. Only concern is the Backstrom/Brouwer combo which brings both players down for some reason.

Teams seem pretty evenly matched in terms of their start to the season.

Why is this a rivalry game? I don't understand NBCSNs criteria for this.

CF% wise since Brouwer came to DC:

Backstrom with Brouwer: 47.9%
Backstrom without Brouwer: 52.5%
Brouwer without Backstrom: 50.4%

Your concern is a real thing.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
CF% wise since Brouwer came to DC:

Backstrom with Brouwer: 47.9%
Backstrom without Brouwer: 52.5%
Brouwer without Backstrom: 50.4%

Your concern is a real thing.

Yeah I remember an article that spelled this out. Backstrom+Brouwer is not a good idea.

Backstrom+Fehr saw both their numbers go up.

I hope that new Corsi guy brings this to their attention!

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
What the heck does Fehr do to get in the doghouse? This is like the 3rd coach who's done that. His effort level in games always seems to be high.

I like Fehr. He's always decent. But sometime he does seem to lack that extra bit of hunger. I can usually tell when he doesn't finish his checks as often and overly relies on jumping around and poke checking. Maybe its my imagination but I can feel when he is "on" and he isn't right now for whatever reason.

But yeah..he's a better option than Beagle regardless.

Maybe Trotz knows that but wants to bench him to motivate him to give him that extra gear?

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
Carlson has been nothing short of awful this year. That being said (hypothetically), if Orlov was healthy, would there be a chance that Trotz would banish Carlson to the pressbox for a game or two to get his head out of his rear?

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Scratching 16 surprises me. For the number of times Trotz has criticized Chimmer, I would've thought #25 was next to earn a press-box ticket. To say nothing of Animal Line Beagle's continuing magical appearance on lines which are not the fourth.

That said, who really cares? I just want the damn team to win. Anyway, there are reasons to be excited about tonight's lineup, including Bura next to Ovie; the return of Wilson; and Kuzya getting Line 3 TOI instead of Line 4 crumbs. Maybe Carlson will clean up his act, too.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
This was said last time, but one of the reasons Beags is on that line is probably to help out Kuz. He can be more aggressive with his faceoffs since Beags is beastly on it. Dude is also a decent PKer, and we probably need him there with Laich out.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't think Beagle over Fehr is a big deal, because it looks like a temporary thing -- light a fire under Fehr, maybe faceoffs help for Kuz, PK is a bonus.

So no biggie. Besides, Beagle is still more fresh, but that'll wear off, too.

Halpysback*

Backstrom-Johansson sucks, and Backstrom-Brouwer sucks.

Kuz in a top 6 W role solves 90% of the problems with the lineup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad