GDT: Detroit Red Wings vs. Carolina Hurricanes | 10/22/2018 | 7:30PM ET | FSD

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Returning to earlier comments I think Hronek=Hicketts=Kronwall=Ericsson=Daley= Jensen. We split hairs but honestly there isn't a whole lot of difference ATM ( though Ericsson was especially blunderful this evening lol). They can somewhat hold their own but overall very meh.

Hronek has the far higher upside but is the least experienced. It sucks the Wings are doing this horrendously. You want to shelter your rookies and build their success but there's such little support. I still say Hronek after 20-30 games will start blowing a few of the older guys out of the water.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Canes played a really good game and controlled the neutral zone. Wings had no answer for their speed but to dump and chase. The wings are at their best when they are creating offense off the rush. The neutral zone is key

It’s also a huge bummer when guys miss open nets on the few chances they do get

Reactions: aar000n

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I think if you don't take Nielsens awful contract into account, he's not as bad as everyone leads on. Good two way guy, won't do much point wise but can hopefully help us from getting blown out every game. Not a #2C but he's the best thing we've got for that role right now so take what you've got. I thought he had a decent game tonight...

Oct 18, 2006
I think if you don't take Nielsens awful contract into account, he's not as bad as everyone leads on. Good two way guy, won't do much point wise but can hopefully help us from getting blown out every game. Not a #2C but he's the best thing we've got for that role right now so take what you've got. I thought he had a decent game tonight...
But he does have that contract, $5 million for a guy who’s goalless through 9. He’s played okay the last few but his turnovers are too frequent.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
We're so bad we let our former headcase of a goalie beat us. What the hell? Mrazek beat us. I was hoping we'd light him like a Christmas tree.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Could I possibly see our 1st home win this Sunday when I go to the Dallas game?? I don't see us beating Winnipeg.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
i did not have te impression that they lacked intensity or effort so much tonight, but simply were not good enough

boston and montreal were pathetic showings by the team, but this one looked like it was on the coachign staff. no changes thoughout the periods, no ideas...

Reactions: Lil Bert

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This was tough to watch! Has Mantha honestly had even 1 whole game that he has been good. Other than the hit he threw, he just keeps floating out there, playing just on the outside of where the puck is, just poking at it, and not engaging physically to try and win puck battles, and the obvious lack of anything related to scoring chances.

Thank goodness Howard kept us in this thing, as it could have been 7 or 8-0. The only positive was after giving up 36 shots through 2 periods, we only gave up 2 or 3 shots in the 3rd.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
This was tough to watch! Has Mantha honestly had even 1 whole game that he has been good. Other than the hit he threw, he just keeps floating out there, playing just on the outside of where the puck is, just poking at it, and not engaging physically to try and win puck battles, and the obvious lack of anything related to scoring chances.

Thank goodness Howard kept us in this thing, as it could have been 7 or 8-0. The only positive was after giving up 36 shots through 2 periods, we only gave up 2 or 3 shots in the 3rd.

Hate to say it because I think Mantha has so much potential... but he really looks like he has no interest in playing for either this team and or this coach. Let's hope it's the latter and he wants to be part of our core. I'm sure its frustrating not being able to get the puck in a scoring position almost ever.. no help.. but he needs to be part of the solution. Not a passenger like he has been for the entire season.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Didn't watch any of it and looks like that was probably for the better :laugh:

It's a team full of passengers, so no wonder the compete seems low. Everyone is just waiting for someone else to make a play.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Don't really think this was an issue with effort. Carolina is probably the most energetic team in the league. They're averaging 42 shots a game so far. They came out flying and our rusty and inexperienced defense wasn't able to keep up. Morale-wise, these teams are on opposite ends of the spectrum. To boot, it looks like Brind'amour has really given that team an identity because they were all playing a brand of hockey that was reminiscent of Brind'amour's game. Looked more like his team than Peters'. Once Carolina let their foot off the gas we were able to compete. And that storyline isn't going to change much as the season goes on - we'll need teams to sit back a bit in order to get into games.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Hate to say it because I think Mantha has so much potential... but he really looks like he has no interest in playing for either this team and or this coach. Let's hope it's the latter and he wants to be part of our core. I'm sure its frustrating not being able to get the puck in a scoring position almost ever.. no help.. but he needs to be part of the solution. Not a passenger like he has been for the entire season.

Definitely worried about Mantha. Starting to remind me a bit of Chris Stewart.

Reactions: saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Its understandable larger players sometimes look like they arent trying... they take alot less strides and look like the effort isnt there sometimes when it is. Not the case with Anthony right now. Not engaged, no frustration, no edge.

Neilsen and Helm being your playmaker doesnt help. The loss of Z has trickled down in every aspect. Shows how much the veterans really lack the leadership capabilities to even shoulder the burden amongst the many of them... no setting an example.

Maybe we need a good bench clearing brawl?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Scores have been closer with the vets on defense, but the effort simply isn't going to be there because they don't have the speed or the skill the young guys have. It was interesting that Blashill was more critical of this game than the Boston and Montreal games. The vets have little to no skill and are probably only good at protecting the front of the net. So you lose by 2 rather than by 5 or 6.

At a bare minimum I think you need to keep Hronek up. He adds a valuable skill on the power play. He will get better. Once the young guys get better about protecting the front of the net you lose their worst aspects of play that allow opponents to score at will and you gain some possession and run of play.

Mantha with 1 goal and -12. His development appears to be stalling big time.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Hronek needs to replace hicketts as soon as a few games ago. There is zero reason to have him on the bench, he is to talented and can play in the nhl!

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Hronek needs to replace hicketts as soon as a few games ago. There is zero reason to have him on the bench, he is to talented and can play in the nhl!
Yes we need puck movers. Hickets was really bad. Big E was worse and kronwall can’t move. Cholowski is the best d-man and it’s really not close. Him, green,-and Hronek should provide us with at least 3 puck movers

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Scores have been closer with the vets on defense, but the effort simply isn't going to be there because they don't have the speed or the skill the young guys have. It was interesting that Blashill was more critical of this game than the Boston and Montreal games. The vets have little to no skill and are probably only good at protecting the front of the net. So you lose by 2 rather than by 5 or 6.

At a bare minimum I think you need to keep Hronek up. He adds a valuable skill on the power play. He will get better. Once the young guys get better about protecting the front of the net you lose their worst aspects of play that allow opponents to score at will and you gain some possession and run of play.

Mantha with 1 goal and -12. His development appears to be stalling big time.

Those games didn't have the team be woefully unable to do anything and the game only being close because Howard played a fantastic game.

The Boston and Montreal games were kids badly equipped to play in an NHL game playing in an NHL game for one of their first times. This game had a bunch of guys who know better and they didn't get sustained pressure in the game until the third period. And even in the third, they had Mrazek on the ropes. From like 12 minutes left to the end of the game, Mrazek was pulling off his worst Petr moves. He was overcommitting and leaving the net wide open and the Wings weren't taking advantage of it. Hell, he was beat twice on that flurry where Faulk made the first stop then Rasmussen had a gaping empty net and pushed it into Petr's pad when he was laying on the ice. Hell, if Mrazek wasn't there Rasmussen might have even missed that net too.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The entire team is:

1. Incapable of making a pass. Jesus Christ. That's not a coaching issue or even a talent issue. You learn how to make good passes by f***ing Peewee level. Legit, no joke, my high school teams made better, crisper passes. To the stick, not the skates. My god.

2. Absolutely zero support around the ice. 6 on 4 and somehow we're constantly outmanned around the puck. Wtf? Mickey was saying it a bunch near the end of the game too. "Where's the support?" There are no outlets. There are no places for our guys to send the puck without giving up possession.

Two biggest problems for this team imo. And I think it all comes down to hockey sense. How do you not have enough hockey sense to get open in a 6 on 4? Move around a little? In one instance I saw the puck carrier gain the zone and Gus went right at him. Almost ran into him. Obviously he's not getting the pass. Create some space for Pete's sake.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Omg those chances by Rasmussen lol.

Also Hicketts is continuously abused because of his short reach. You can tell teams are targeting him.
Hicketts is all over the place too. Watch him next game. He would f***ing infuriate me as my partner, you never know where he is. We're talking beer league positioning and roaming. I think he thinks he's still in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad