GDT: Detroit Red Wings @ Toronto Maple Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
babcock will be the greatest coach in the history of hockey if he can coach the leafs to a stanley cup. a big reason why he took the job i'm sure

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
babcock will be the greatest coach in the history of hockey if he can coach the leafs to a stanley cup. a big reason why he took the job i'm sure

People always say that but not true. Somedelusional leaf fans might agree with that but he has what, 1 or 2 cups right now with some pretty damn good teams? Hes gonna have to win 5 cups with Toronto to even come close to Scotty..

People forget how long the wings streak was before Scotty got them over the hump

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Returning Toronto to a champion would immediately put him into the elite group without question. The Leafs are Canada's team, for better or worse, and the last Stanley Cup was in 1967. Breaking a 50 year drought would be historic in the eyes of many.

Exactly.

This is our statue in St. Paul.

usmn38-2.jpg

Kurt Russell. Nice.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Returning Toronto to a champion would immediately put him into the elite group without question. The Leafs are Canada's team, for better or worse, and the last Stanley Cup was in 1967. Breaking a 50 year drought would be historic in the eyes of many.

Exactly.

This is our statue in St. Paul.

usmn38-2.jpg

It's cool that they built a Kurt Russel statue with a url at the bottom.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Just like Toews is the greatest player of our generation.

People always say that but not true. Somedelusional leaf fans might agree with that but he has what, 1 or 2 cups right now with some pretty damn good teams? Hes gonna have to win 5 cups with Toronto to even come close to Scotty..

People forget how long the wings streak was before Scotty got them over the hump

I mean, objectively you're right, but there is no objectivity when it comes to hype.

Kurt Russell. Nice.

Great minds.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Just like Toews is the greatest player of our generation.

I mean, objectively you're right, but there is no objectivity when it comes to hype.

Hype doesn't last though. And unless Babcock goes on a Blackhawks-type run with multiple Cups and long playoff runs (and just one playoff miss), Toronto fans will turn on him fast. You don't get to set the bar high for rabid fans and then come back down to earth without major repercussions.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

It's not just NHL success. It's the Olympic Golds, too. We're talking about Canadian nationalism and pride above simply wins-losses. It's about restoring the legacy of Canadian hockey to prestige.

It's hard to put numbers on that.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

Why is that? Why would it be so different than Chicago winning the Cup 6 years ago or Pittsburgh?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They currently have the longest drought without a Stanley Cup in the league, and for a lot of Leafs fans, it's the equivalent of not having a Stanley Cup.

I mean, if you're under 50 you've never seen them win the Cup in your lifetime. And if you're under 60, you probably don't remember it.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

i'm saying that's how the Canadian hockey media will view him. toronto is the center of the hockey universe in the midst of a 50 year cup drought. you better believe the media hype for babcock is gonna be huge if he wins them the cup

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

You're assuming that all Cups and other accomplishments are created equal in terms of legacy, and that's not the case.

If a Canadian coach manages to win multiple gold medals, and brings a Cup to Toronto after a 40+ year drought...that brings a tremendous amount of prestige and clout. It definitely holds more weight than in the US.

Now would a single Leafs championship put him on par with the greatest of all time? Maybe not. But it would come close, because some of those accomplishments would hold such incredible value to many Canadians.

Last edited:

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Helm decides to pass the puck to the other team and then take a nap on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad