Speculation: Detroit Red Wings TDL

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Do you think we could offer the 2024 1st? I like the forwards in this draft class quite a bit. Even the ones in the 10-15 range.

If I could do something like 2024 1st + Wallinder + ?, I would do that. Not sure what that 3rd piece would have to be, though.

If it doesn't cost much.... why would it be "the worst move we could make"?
$6.6whatever million for two more years when kids need new contracts.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I think we should stand pat at the TDL unless there is an offer too good to refuse. Giving up prospects, picks or young NHL players for a chance to be the 7th or 8th seed in the east this year would be a losing move.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Surely a young, cheap roster player, no? Veleno would be ideal, but probably not good enough. Probably Berggren?
Hmmm... would I do 2024 1st/Wallinder/Berggren for Meier? I don't know.
Understood. I'm just of the opinion that if Detroit doesn't simply stand pat, then they should go big for a sure thing (that they could not realistically expect to count on via short term drafting).
Do you want to give up a 1st round pick or trade a prospect like Wallinder where he could be a stud? I don't know that I am. But I still want to try to improve the team.

If I could something cheap (2nd/3rd rounder or B level prospects) to Vancouver for Boeser because they think he is overpaid and having a down year, when he has scored 20+ goals 4 outta the last 5 years and can shoot it better than most the guys on our team... yeah I like those kind of buy-low opportunities.
$6.6whatever million for two more years when kids need new contracts.
We are not a team that should worry about a contract like this. Also Boeser is 25 years old.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
There is a good chance Rogle's season ends March 9th. Bring Kasper and Wallinder over for the stretch run.
It will be nice to bring both of them, but you need to move someone out. At this point we already have about 15 NHL forwards.

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
Hmmm... would I do 2024 1st/Wallinder/Berggren for Meier?
I have a real good feeling about Berggren. He does great thing every game. Reminds me of a young Datsyuk a bit.

Just a smart, skilled hockey player who seems to always be where the puck is.

I think Detroit is better off standing pat, and trying to make a serious run in two years.

They can add FAs in the off-season and still keep their assets. If they do make a move, I see them moving a few roster guys and some lower round picks for a slight upgrade.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't think we should have a lot of moves. Maybe veteran defenseman that could help Seider

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Do you think we could offer the 2024 1st? I like the forwards in this draft class quite a bit. Even the ones in the 10-15 range.

If I could do something like 2024 1st + Wallinder + ?, I would do that. Not sure what that 3rd piece would have to be, though.

I think if you’re committed to not trading the 2023 pick it would have to be berggren. If you’re willing to part with the 2023 pick you probably have a little more flexibility.

Somewhat tangent but given the Larkin situation I admire the balls of anyone who would move the 2024 pick haha. I think Larkin signs but bold move man, bold move.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Zero rentals. Meier and/or a top 4 D, but only if they are in their mid to late 20's and can be re-signed.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Seider doesn't need any help. Chia on the other hand....
At this moment we have #1 rd Seider and#2 rd Hronek. Maata is perfect second pair ld for Hronek. I like to see perfect #1 veteran ld who could play with Seider.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Meier - Larkin - Raymond
Bertuzzi - Kasper - Vrana
Perron - Copp - Berggren
Soderblom - Ras - Sundqvist

Edvinsson - Seider
Maatta - Hronek
Wallinder - Chiarot

now that is sexy

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I'd do Wallinder, a 1st and Berggren for Meier. Maybe throw in the St Louis 2nd round pick too. I'm not even sure if that would be enough though. They are going to be asking for either Kasper or Edvinsson.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
This team has got enough depth players, what is needed is some game breaking skill. Meier and Kane seem to be the only ones on this list, but as Kane is a little shaky, I would definitely only consider Meier.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Kane makes no sense. I'm not sure why people are suggesting that.

Meier would be perfect. I like the three-way trade idea with Bertuzzi that some people have suggested... Wings retain Bertuzzi's salary, send him to a contender, and a combination of assets from Detroit and the team that gets Bertuzzi go to SJ for Meier.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Trigger warning for the tankies: This thread is not about tanking. If you feel the need to bring up tanking I propose you kick rocks and take your opinions to an other thread. This thread is about what the Red Wings could add at this TDL.

With that said, I am pretty open minded. Id say the ideal situation would be a low cost rental (mid round pick) or a longer term addition. Id target some depth down the middle and on the back end.

Meier: has been talked about extensively. His appeal is obvious. He is a productive top line player at an age that aligns with the core. Wont be cheap

Chychrun: Good LHD, locked up on a decent contract, age aligns with the core. Wont be cheap

Kane: A controversial player, especially in Detroit but arguably the most skill we could add. He is struggling this year and his name may price him as a high cost rental. I would add him if the cost is right (it wont be and he probably wouldnt consider Detroit)

Schmaltz: Big bodied Center with skill and term. Probably the best option to help fill a long term need. He wouldn't be a cheap addition but maybe not prohibitively costly?

Bjugstad: Rental center. might be somewhat on the cheaper side.

Veljmelka: A legit goaltender to run in tandem with Husso. Probably not cheap.

Domi: Probably the most skilled "rental center". Might be a cost effective way to add skilled depth down the middle. I dont love his game

Boeser: Polarizing player with term and a pedigree for scoring.

Lars Eller: Possible cheap center depth option.

For me, the 2024 1st would only be on the table for Timo Meier. Other than that, Id be more inclined to target low cost rentals. Possibly Eller or Bjugstad to add some depth down the middle. A cheap rental D would also help.

Schmaltz is an interesting fit but now sure about his acquisition cost.

Are there other targets out there? What kind of ADDING strategy would you take?

I like the idea of adding Meier for the long term. He'd be the best winger Detroit has iced since Hossa. How much it will cost? I don't know. I don't know if I'd want to pay a 1st for this year though.

The prospects that (to me) are untouchable:

Edvinsson
Kasper
Soderblom
Wallinder
Mazur (borderline. I think he will be the kind of winger that is the best guy on a 3rd line, 2nd best on a 2nd line, 3rd best on a 1st line.)

Young roster players that are untouchable:
Seider
Raymond
Berggren

Anyone else can be traded as part of a deal for Meier, but I know that makes the trade less palatable for San Jose.

So with those pieces unavailable, who moves the other way for Meier?

Vrana + St. Louis 2nd in 2023 + Detroit's 1st in 2024 (top 12 protected. Moves to 2025 unprotected if in 2024 top 12)

for

Meier + San Jose's 3rd in 2023

Thoughts?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Vrana + St. Louis 2nd in 2023 + Detroit's 1st in 2024 (top 12 protected. Moves to 2025 unprotected if in 2024 top 12)

for

Meier + San Jose's 3rd in 2023

Thoughts?
If I'm San Jose, I have no interest in Vrana. Based on your list of untouchables, I'd try Rasmussen instead, with the two picks, and then also throw in something like a Buchelnikov.

Might still take at least another second rounder on top of that. Not sure how much they'll value picks versus cost controlled players.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Kane makes no sense. I'm not sure why people are suggesting that.

Meier would be perfect. I like the three-way trade idea with Bertuzzi that some people have suggested... Wings retain Bertuzzi's salary, send him to a contender, and a combination of assets from Detroit and the team that gets Bertuzzi go to SJ for Meier.
Because I rode in a cab in Detroit and that driver was getting uppity and I want Kaner here to put him in his place. (Ok, that's a fake story, I just f***in love the way Patty Kane plays the game of hockey. Sense be damned)

• Haha
Reactions: Ricelund

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It'll be hockey trades plus selling any spare parts that teams are willing to pay for.

Bubble teams generally don't buy rentals.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
If I'm San Jose, I have no interest in Vrana. Based on your list of untouchables, I'd try Rasmussen instead, with the two picks, and then also throw in something like a Buchelnikov.

Might still take at least another second rounder on top of that. Not sure how much they'll value picks versus cost controlled players.

Well, I'd look at historic value for similar trade deadline first-line power wingers/centers for a relative value.

Keith Tkachuk cost Atlanta a 1st and 3rd in 2007 and a 2nd in 2008 + Glen Metropolit. Would have also cost them a 1st in 2008 if he re-signed in Atlanta.

Marian Hossa + Pascal Dupuis cost Pittsburgh Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and a 2008 1st round pick. This was an absolute steal of a trade because it helped get them into the finals 2 years in a row, and Dupuis helped them win a cup in 09.

Bo Horvat with 25% retention cost NYI a 1st, Anthony Beauvillier (Robby Fabbri as a comparable) and Aatu Raty (Joe Veleno as a comparable)

Jarome Iginla cost Pittsburgh Kenny Agostino, Ben Hanowski and a first-round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.

Jeff Carter cost the LA Kings Jack Johnson(blech) and a 1st in the 2013 NHL draft. It really helped LA get 2 cups in 3 years.

Meier isn't cost controlled in the same way Hagel was for Tampa. His QO is huge which I believe would lower his relative value. Maybe something similar to the Bo Horvat trade. No retention makes it a player + a 1st + a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

Vrana might be a reclamation project. He's a goalscorer and San Jose is giving up their top goalscorer in this deal so it might be palatable to get a player who (even though he's a downgrade) fills a similar roster hole in addition to the package offered.

If Vrana isn't the guy they want then Kubalik? Bertuzzi? (Who I admit I like when he's lower in the lineup.)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd like to add a defenceman, or a Center.

Centers were already sold (Horvat, ROR & Acciari). Haven't heard any rumors about other centers on the market.

Is Chychrun the only defenceman on the market? Is he the right piece for us? Or some more defensive guy?

Luke Schenn there is, I think he would be a fit, but don't see him being any kind of huge upgrade for us.

Many are speculating Schenn should be worth a 2nd, but I'm reading rumors Canucks are asking a 4th rounder.

Give them 4th + Hägg, and that's a done deal. That would give us 4th RhD, what we are missing as Pysyk injured.

Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Hronek
Määttä - Schenn
Edvinsson - Lindström

There's the D core for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad