Detroit Red Wings Prospect Tracker 14-15: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Yea he should see how much of a log jam there is for D here. Would make sense to go elsewhere.

Hopefully we can move one of our guys to create more room for someone. Maybe Smith.

Kronner, FA
Q, DK
Big E, Marchenko

Still have no room for Ouellet or Jensen.

See, I think if you can land a guy who has a higher upside than most of our prospects (apparently this guy is a right-handed Dekeyser with offense) that shouldn't be an issue. The writing is on the wall for Kindl and, to a lesser extent, Smith. Quincey is gone after his contract is up. XO and Marchenko are similar enough that you can probably let them fight it out and pick the better of the two. Jensen doesn't seem to have a future here. I don't even know what to make of Sproul at this point. IMO Holland should go all out for this guy, regardless of the logjam.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He wont come here. D Log-jam exists.
Yeah, exactly. It's tough to see where those guys would fit in. The Wings certainly need offensive guys, but they've filled the system up with (less gifted) two-way guys already. and god knows GR is going to hang onto Paetsch and Evans for the next decade. So I can't see anybody voluntarily putting themselves into that situation, especially after seeing how up-and-down it's been for a guy like Ouellet.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, take the easy way in an organization which will have an open spot, ots of ice-time and free candies for you without any competition, and suck for the rest of your career. :nod: Good luck for that path.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah, take the easy way in an organization which will have an open spot, ots of ice-time and free candies for you without any competition, and suck for the rest of your career. :nod: Good luck for that path.

Come on, you can't really fault him for not coming to Detroit, can you? Edmonton is obviously one extreme and Detroit the other. This is not an 18-year-old who can afford to let the talent clear out ahead of him over the next couple of years. March, XO, Jensen and Sproul are still all in the mix to one degree or another. Hell, Kenny can't even get rid of Kindl and likely wants to take a stab at a free agent this summer.

There are plenty of organizations between Detroit and Edmonton that aren't complete circuses. I would expect him to pick one of those if he leaves this year.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Come on, you can't really fault him for not coming to Detroit, can you? Edmonton is obviously one extreme and Detroit the other. This is not an 18-year-old who can afford to let the talent clear out ahead of him over the next couple of years. March, XO, Jensen and Sproul are still all in the mix to one degree or another. Hell, Kenny can't even get rid of Kindl and likely wants to take a stab at a free agent this summer.

There are plenty of organizations between Detroit and Edmonton that aren't complete circuses. I would expect him to pick one of those if he leaves this year.

Yep, just because he doesn't pick the longest and hardest road with Detroit doesnt mean he has to pick the worst option in Edmonton. Lots of good teams out there are looking for a Defenseman that have a bit more friendly path.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Bertuzzi and Nastasiuk both with a goal and assist last night. Paterson 36/37 saves vs London. Looks like all three will get into the playoffs, currently 4th, 5th and 6th in the West.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
What is the story on Paterson these days? Is he actually getting better or is Kitchener just an easier place to play. I couldn't help but notice the statistical difference in his play.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
What is the story on Paterson these days? Is he actually getting better or is Kitchener just an easier place to play. I couldn't help but notice the statistical difference in his play.

I've seen him play in Saginaw quite a bit. Saginaw has one of the worst defenses I've ever seen, but Paterson wasn't stellar either. I really don't think he has a chance of being a relevant prospect for us. Definition of average.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Some guy named Dylan Larkin has a goal tonight against State. Game's not over yet, either.

Discussion on the Wings pre game today was if Larkin will go to the AHL next year. Elliot said he's definitely ready. Already plays a 200ft game, has size and speed. Also apparently there was a tweet last week mentioning he might. Would be interesting to see if he does and how well he adjusts. He has the type of game that should transition easier than a Mantha.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Discussion on the Wings pre game today was if Larkin will go to the AHL next year. Elliot said he's definitely ready. Already plays a 200ft game, has size and speed. Also apparently there was a tweet last week mentioning he might. Would be interesting to see if he does and how well he adjusts. He has the type of game that should transition easier than a Mantha.

The tweet I mentioned is post #925

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Returning to this, Larkin finished his season with 14+29=43 in 32 games. That's 1.34 PPG. So he's basically had the Jonathan Toews freshman season, production-wise.

edit: it was Toews' SOPHOMORE season, which means this is even more impressive.

I hope for at least the same ppg next season. Hyman is going to be a big loss, so hopefully that number doesn't come down too much next season.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I hope for at least the same ppg next season. Hyman is going to be a big loss, so hopefully that number doesn't come down too much next season.
They're definitely going to have to jumble the lines up a bit. But Kyle Connor is a really good player, so it's possible he'll just slot right in. He seems to prefer to play the wing, too, so it might be a nice fit. Or if not, there's always Tyler Motte. He showed some solid chemistry with Larkin at the WJC.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
They're definitely going to have to jumble the lines up a bit. But Kyle Connor is a really good player, so it's possible he'll just slot right in. He seems to prefer to play the wing, too, so it might be a nice fit. Or if not, there's always Tyler Motte. He showed some solid chemistry with Larkin at the WJC.

Larkin's offense isn't going to miss a beat with Connor on his wing; that is if Red puts the pair together. I think he will be a PPG player in his Freshman year. He is such a dynamic offensive threat. Besides for adding some more muscle to his frame the only other improvement that I really want to see from Larkin is to get a harder and more accurate shot. I think it is pretty great when this is the area of a prospects game that needs the most improvement as it is the easiest to improve upon.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Imagine if Holmström was 2.5 months younger, he would be in this year's draft. Having a draft year of 20 points in the SHL, 4 in 3 games so far in the playoffs and a point per game at the WJC would probably translate to at least a top-60 pick. And we got him in the 7th round.

He has a lot to work on but there's definitely some potential for a steal in this kid. And love this tweet from draft day too:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad