News Article: Detroit Red Wings Andreas Athanasiou is the Unluckiest Player in the NHL

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Anthanasiou is far from the big ticket item issues on this team. Namely goaltending, coaching and good defencemen.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The last part is weird. There is no helping Athanasiou in Detroit? How about getting him a better goalie and defense to play with? Why wouldn't that directly address the issue?

I think the point is helping him this season, not in 3 years...

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I think the point is helping him this season, not in 3 years...
Why would anyone care about helping him this season? Our goal is to win a Cup in 3 years. His performance this season is irrelevant to anything that matters.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Why would anyone care about helping him this season? Our goal is to win a Cup in 3 years. His performance this season is irrelevant to anything that matters.

It matters to him. JFC.

Was the article about the Red Wings or Andreas Athanasiou? Reading comprehension.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
It matters to him. JFC.

Was the article about the Red Wings or Andreas Athanasiou? Reading comprehension.
So the point is "X player is on a bad team, and he would be better off on a good team"?
That applies equally well to over 100 players in the league. What's the point of discussing it then?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So the point is "X player is on a bad team, and he would be better off on a good team"?
That applies equally well to over 100 players in the league. What's the point of discussing it then?

The article was written about Andreas Athanasiou being unlucky, and a big component is the team he is on not having the defense or goalies to help him. The Wings can’t support him, other teams can. Period. That’s the point.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I just pointed out the other day that AA's underlying defensive numbers are significantly improved from last year. They aren't great. But they're not bad on this team.
The crazy GA/60 stat is a result of poor goaltending, bad luck.
There haven't been a slew of goals where I look at the replay and say "What the f***, AA?"
When Hronek or Bowey cough up the puck and the other team scores on a 2-on-1, not much AA is gonna do. Tons of empty-net goals, too.

That said, AA's offense has gone to shit. His goal scoring. He's shooting less. He's generating fewer breakaways and scoring chances. He's scoring less.

That's the issue with his game. Period.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Yah.... Detroit won't be anywhere close to winning a cup in 3 years.

Detroit would be lucky if they can compete for a wild card in 3 years.

I want to say you're wrong and call you out with facts and logic... unfortunately I can't.
I thought last year was rock bottom for us but as this season drags on and I take an honest look at our prospects I think the playoffs is 5 years away.

We would need Veleno, Zadina, Ras, Fabbri, Seider, Cholowski and a few UFA/Trades to all hit their ceiling coupled with Larkin, Manta, Bert, AA, and Hronek all taking another step forward and staying healthy for us to make the playoffs in 3 years.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Unlucky is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of AA.

Fragile...maybe. Unable or unwilling to play through injury...probably.

Not the same mold as Larkin.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Yah.... Detroit won't be anywhere close to winning a cup in 3 years.

Detroit would be lucky if they can compete for a wild card in 3 years.

In today’s NHL, competing for a wild card essentially is competing for a cup. Parity.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I want to say you're wrong and call you out with facts and logic... unfortunately I can't.
I thought last year was rock bottom for us but as this season drags on and I take an honest look at our prospects I think the playoffs is 5 years away.

We would need Veleno, Zadina, Ras, Fabbri, Seider, Cholowski and a few UFA/Trades to all hit their ceiling coupled with Larkin, Manta, Bert, AA, and Hronek all taking another step forward and staying healthy for us to make the playoffs in 3 years.

I think it depends on what a person considers rock bottom. This season is exactly what Ken Holland tried to avoid (for better or for worse). Obviously this fan base was at a point where it was ready for a full out tank, and Yzerman is clearly ok with it. With that said, while we are definitely worse this year then last year, I think this year our future looks much brighter then it did a year ago. Larkin, Mantha, and AA are having their challenges, but I’m sure with a new coach that will be a thing of the past. Zadina is finally looking like an NHLer, Hronek looks like a top 4 guy, and we have a nice group of prospects which will hopefully include a top player from the 2020 draft. Once we get all these kids up and sign a few UFA’s, we should be ready turn it around.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I think it depends on what a person considers rock bottom. This season is exactly what Ken Holland tried to avoid (for better or for worse). Obviously this fan base was at a point where it was ready for a full out tank, and Yzerman is clearly ok with it. With that said, while we are definitely worse this year then last year, I think this year our future looks much brighter then it did a year ago. Larkin, Mantha, and AA are having their challenges, but I’m sure with a new coach that will be a thing of the past. Zadina is finally looking like an NHLer, Hronek looks like a top 4 guy, and we have a nice group of prospects which will hopefully include a top player from the 2020 draft. Once we get all these kids up and sign a few UFA’s, we should be ready turn it around.

Maybe.
I've become jaded with our prospects. I thought that Jurco, XO, Smith, Marchenko and a few others would become something. I need to see it to believe it now.

The exception is Seider. I love Seider and have full faith he will develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad