News Article: Detroit Red Wings Andreas Athanasiou is the Unluckiest Player in the NHL

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think at this point I'm predicting AA is tracking to be a poor man's Michael Grabner without the PK ability. Whether with Detroit or not, he'll probably have a couple more years to see if he can cut it as a core piece for an NHL team, before he hits his UFA eligible years and goes from team to team on 1-3 year deals or as a deadline rental as some budget friendly fast skating mercenary that may or may not score some goals from the 2nd/3rd line but ultimately isn't worth any sort of long term commitment or high price.

Can't they just get him to spend a couple days a week with Kris Draper to learn how to use his speed for things other than breakaways?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Wouldn't it be great if everything in life was just lined up for you so you could just breeze through it, be successful, and shatter records?

Sure seems that way for the AAs of the world, and his cult following.

On the other hand you have your Larkin and Bertuzzis of the world who aren't as talented as the AAs but work their ass off and don't take anything for granted. Surprisingly they are the ones, who, in the same enviroment, find a way to be impactful.

Sure. Yea. Find AA talent that can carry him so he can put up some points. All you have to do is ask Justin Abdelkader about that situation.

Or it could just be AA hasn't turned into some powerhouse of a hockey player people thought he could have been. Disappointing, but life is full of that isn't it?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
What's the latest hearings on AA as far as whether or not he'll be a core player? Last I remember was seeing an article in The Athletic where a pro scout said AA "isn't Yzerman's 'cup of tea'".

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What's the latest hearings on AA as far as whether or not he'll be a core player? Last I remember was seeing an article in The Athletic where a pro scout said AA "isn't Yzerman's 'cup of tea'".
Yes he isn't, but what can we get for him when he's finally getting back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad