Detroit Red Wings #2 Prospect Summer 17/18

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
This was tough one for me between Hronek and Ras. At the end of the day I feel Hronek will become more indespensable to the team given the value of defenseman in todays game. Plus, I like hearing he plays with some grit...my kind of player.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hronek. I don't know why a lot of people are picking rasmus. Me thinks it's cause he's been our highest pick in a long long time. And hronek still has a better ceiling

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hronek. I don't know why a lot of people are picking rasmus. Me thinks it's cause he's been our highest pick in a long long time. And hronek still has a better ceiling

Take the guy who was the difference maker on the ice, carried the offense on his junior team (as a defenseman) and ate big minutes at the WJC, or choose Rasmussen.

It's an easy choice at the moment.

Rasmussen still has a lot to prove and many doubts surrounding his game to dispel.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Take the guy who was the difference maker on the ice, carried the offense on his junior team (as a defenseman) and ate big minutes at the WJC, or choose Rasmussen.

It's an easy choice at the moment.

Rasmussen still has a lot to prove and many doubts surrounding his game to dispel.

Rasmussen was one of Canada's best players, if not their best player at the Hlinka last summer... for whatever it's worth.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Rasmussen was one of Canada's best players, if not their best player at the Hlinka last summer... for whatever it's worth.

It's ok it's just not as good as what hronek is at this moment. And it really shouldn't be. Hronek has a year on him. Rasmus should have beaten svechnikov if he beats hronek here. #2 or 3 ceiling for a d > #2 center

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Our future power-play...

Mantha passes it on point from right side, Hronek blasts one-timer, Rasmussen screens the shot, tips it in, or whacks the rebound in.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Filip. I've actually watched him a bunch, a lot more than the other guys so I might be biased
Add Kotkansalo

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Some of us don't agree that the only place he can wind up is as a #2 center. That might happen, it might be worse. But it could be a lot better as well. He has a ton of potential himself, I don't get where the no ceiling argument comes from.

So just to be clear if all of these guys knock it out of the park in their development you think the one with the worst ceiling is the giant man child that shows an uncanny ability to score in the area where 80% of the goals in the league are scored? :dunno:

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Hronek. I have no idea what we're getting with Rasmussen yet. But Hronek is exactly what this team needs, has excellent upside, and in terms of importance actually should have been #1. If Hronek and Saarijarvi bust, this team is absolutely screwed for the next 3-4 years. And of those two, I think Hronek is the better.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Some of us don't agree that the only place he can wind up is as a #2 center. That might happen, it might be worse. But it could be a lot better as well. He has a ton of potential himself, I don't get where the no ceiling argument comes from.

So just to be clear if all of these guys knock it out of the park in their development you think the one with the worst ceiling is the giant man child that shows an uncanny ability to score in the area where 80% of the goals in the league are scored? :dunno:

No one's disputing the goal scoring ability. The question is and will be, does he have the potential puck skills and passing ability to be a 1st line center.

I think he had 3 primary assists at ES in 50 games last year, so not sure it's all that unfounded of a concern.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Hronek, and rather easily. Until Rasmussen shows he can develop some even strength scoring he tops out as an okay 2C. To be fair I'm not high on Rasmussen so my bias may effect my judgement.

Hronek had an excellent season in the OHL and showed off the skills that show he has a ceiling of a top pairing dman.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
No one's disputing the goal scoring ability. The question is and will be, does he have the potential puck skills and passing ability to be a 1st line center.

I think he had 3 primary assists at ES in 50 games last year, so not sure it's all that unfounded of a concern.

The ES production is such a question mark many seem to overlook. He is an absolute man against boys in juniors and still can't produce anything unless the opposing team is a player short. Someone VERY close to me in the WHL (who probably has no/very little NHL potential) absolutely dominates Ras in every ES statistical category. Ras doesn't seem to look bad when he plays but he doesn't get it done out there.

Meanwhile, Hronek dominated every situation in junior hockey with his eyes closed, it's a no brainer to me.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

When you watch him play do you worry about his puck skills and passing ability?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Yeah, a little bit. Check out this game. This made me kind of depressed. The guy looks like a grinder. He never holds onto the puck, never makes a play or takes a risk, nothing. He scores a goal on a deflection and that's all you see from him, offensively-speaking. He leaves the o-zone early and is always the first forward back. He reminds me of Sheahan. But Sheahan was a more promising offensive guy when he was a prospect.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think he has some untapped ability there, which is why I voted for him here over Hronek (who I like a lot).

Do I think he's dynamic there, or will be dynamic in that regard as a pro? Well, I'm skeptical.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah, a little bit. Check out this game. This made me kind of depressed. The guy looks like a grinder. He never holds onto the puck, never makes a play or takes a risk, nothing. He scores a goal on a deflection and that's all you see from him, offensively-speaking. He leaves the zone early and is always the first forward back. He reminds me of Sheahan. But Sheahan was a more promising offensive guy when he was a prospect.

Is your frame of reference for his game the one shift-by-shift video you could find of him on YouTube?

I don't think vision and passing are necessarily a strength of his game, but they aren't awful either like some contend.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Were Rasmussen's ES stats equally as poor in 2015-16?

No he had more balance in terms of 5 on 5 scoring to his PP numbers.

I get why people are scared, I think he is a very intriguing player. I see what they like about him.

Now he needs to dominate juniors this year in my opinion. That team has some talent so he should be on one of the better teams in my opinion but it is on him to take them places which I like. We want to see improvements in a couple of key areas and if they aren't happening by mid-season that will certainly impact my thinking on him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad