Detroit Red Wings #11 Prospect 14-15

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Jensen, add Kadeykhin. Can we just take a minute to appreciate the size of these guys too. Only guy not 6 feet is Pulu and over half are over 200lbs

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Not trying to be rude in any way, but do you know enough about Nosek to say that? (Just regarding ceiling)

By all accounts he has a pretty sick pair of hands to go along with a good-sized frame.

Wasn't just beat writers and attendees praising him either, the players did too.

I originally pegged him as another Joakim Andersson type, but I think there's more potential than that there.

I'm going by the only resources I have at my disposal... scout comments and the few clips I've seen. His skating is weak and he has no shot. Meanwhile, he's a good two-way player and is responsible defensively. That combination of factors squarely pigeon-holes him in a bottom-6 role, imo. A role in which he will not be spending much time with skill players, which greatly minimizes his purported puck-distribution skills. So it's not just his weaknesses holding back his offensive ceiling, it's also his strengths, since they are such that they tug him away from an offensive role. The only way I see him breaking through offensively is if his puck distribution skills do translate to the NHL AND he is given a role on the PP.

Jensen, meanwhile, has a skating ability that lends itself to some nice potential as a PMD. And he's far from a defensive slouch as well. I don't think his ceiling is much higher than Nosek's, but I do think it is higher. Mainly because he has fewer weaknesses, and he doesn't have strengths that pull him away from an offensive role. Quite the opposite.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Yeah I voted Jensen, but to be honest I am surprised Nosek is preferred to Janmark if you're looking at our forwards. I think both guys futures are on the wing though they have center flexibility. Either way, I think I have Janmark narrowly ahead in terms of that argument, we will see I expect big things out of him at Frolunda this year. He did a lot with very little help last year, Nosek is going to have a good team so I don't know how they will come out of that. Just if I was thinking forward that is where I would be leaning.

Nosek vs Janmark falls squarely into the old argument of upside vs closeness to the NHL (or 'number of question marks') imo. Janmark has the higher upside, but he is further from the NHL and there are more question marks surrounding how he will translate to the NHL. Personally, I give Nosek the slight nod, but they are probably a push at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm going by the only resources I have at my disposal... scout comments and the few clips I've seen. His skating is weak and he has no shot. Meanwhile, he's a good two-way player and is responsible defensively. That combination of factors squarely pigeon-holes him in a bottom-6 role, imo. A role in which he will not be spending much time with skill players, which greatly minimizes his purported puck-distribution skills. So it's not just his weaknesses holding back his offensive ceiling, it's also his strengths, since they are such that they tug him away from an offensive role. The only way I see him breaking through offensively is if his puck distribution skills do translate to the NHL AND he is given a role on the PP.

Jensen, meanwhile, has a skating ability that lends itself to some nice potential as a PMD. And he's far from a defensive slouch as well. I don't think his ceiling is much higher than Nosek's, but I do think it is higher. Mainly because he has fewer weaknesses, and he doesn't have strengths that pull him away from an offensive role. Quite the opposite.

Good points. The bit about your strengths and weaknesses directing you towards different roles is very true.

He may be somewhat limited with his skating, I want to see about his offensive abilities though, will be interesting to watch him.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Good points. The bit about your strengths and weaknesses directing you towards different roles is very true.

He may be somewhat limited with his skating, I want to see about his offensive abilities though, will be interesting to watch him.

Absolutely. Nosek is one of the prospects I'm most interested in this season. Between him and Mantha, and Athanasiou (and even Porter and Miele), I'll probably watch more Griffins games this year than ever before.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Jensen, add Kadeykhin. Can we just take a minute to appreciate the size of these guys too. Only guy not 6 feet is Pulu and over half are over 200lbs
and yet we hear over and over "the Wings are too small! they need to draft/sign (insert 6'5+ grinder here) so they don't get pushed around".

If Mike McKee makes it to the NHL, ain't nobody getting pushed around. Plus Nedomlel, Bertuzzi, and Nastasiuk are all guys with grit who are close to the NHL. This isn't going to be a small or soft team in the near future.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I will say bigger guys that aren't necessarily great skaters better be good on the boards and in tight. Nosek has those attributes, how far it carries him I have no clue, but in this respect he does sound a lot like Nestrasil, just we aren't overly familiar with him yet. I hope he is better, though I liked a lot of what Nestrasil did in the second half.

We will see, I am fascinated to watch him, sounds like a hard worker with goals, and he will have one of the better developmental coaches in hockey in my opinion to work with. He could become a bottom six player, he could become more, he could head back to Europe, we will understand him a lot better in the following polls, he is hard to call this year.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
and yet we hear over and over "the Wings are too small! they need to draft/sign (insert 6'5+ grinder here) so they don't get pushed around".

If Mike McKee makes it to the NHL, ain't nobody getting pushed around. Plus Nedomlel, Bertuzzi, and Nastasiuk are all guys with grit who are close to the NHL. This isn't going to be a small or soft team in the near future.

Mckee is my guilty pleasure prospect and someone I'm pulling for. If he can make it as a 4th liner that punishes the other teams Dmen/clears out front of our net depending what position he plays I'll be happy. He'd be one of the heaviest players in the NHL at 250

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
FWIW Red Wings Central slotted Nosek in one spot ahead of Janmark (9th vs. 10th). I haven't seen either play to be honest, so I'm just going off of scouting reports and what video I can find at this point.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Was interesting to hear Malik talk about McKee at the prospect camp about how his skating had vastly improved. He looked more comfortable, was more mature and his shot was an absolute cannon. Just a night and day difference from what Malik recalled seeing from him at the camp last year. Despite his poor production, he might be rounding into shape. Looking for a rebound year from him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Was interesting to hear Malik talk about McKee at the prospect camp about how his skating had vastly improved. He looked more comfortable, was more mature and his shot was an absolute cannon. Just a night and day difference from what Malik recalled seeing from him at the camp last year. Despite his poor production, he might be rounding into shape. Looking for a rebound year from him.

I'm hoping they make the move to forward permanent for him. I think it ups the likelihood of him being able to earn a fourth line spot where he can go out for 10 or so minutes a night, throw some big hits, and maybe drop the gloves. It's harder to play that type of game from the blueline where there are so fewer players to spread ice time to if you're in the box.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
I had a hard time choosing between Janmark and Nosek. That being said, I feel like Janmark has played in tougher leagues for a longer length of time.

My vote for the add would be Kadeykhin. It's hard to distinguish between him and all of other 2014 draft picks at this point, but his potential is intriguing, and he seems closer to the NHL than some of the other European picks we took in the 2014 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad