Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Gustavsson (1 year, $1.85 million)

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
So Mrazek and Gustavsson are the same player now? Gus had 4 years of numbers that could tell you .924 was not likely sustainable for him. I said as much when it was happening. I didnt want to bring this up about Gus's last season but oh well.

Yeah his most recent games are abysmal, I know that. Went from 924 to 907 over 15 games

Likewise, McCollum has four years of numbers that tell you that he's not even an AHL-quality backup.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Nothing points to him being an average backup. He was average last season. One time. Hell be back down to .900 or worse again by December.

His 16-5-4 record was a total fluke. repeat the same games with the same save% applied and you could get anything from 7-16 wins. It all had to do with goal support. Factor in that his save% was his best ever and is also not likely to be repeated.

Best Im hoping for for him next year is 9 wins in 25 starts. 9-12-4

Mrazek, on the other hand. Well, you know how good he is. He had 2 shutouts in 1/3 the amount of games that Gustavsson had 0.
Gustavsson made a TON of timely, clutch saves. That's why his record was so good. His sv% wasn't great but not all shots are equal. If we improve our defense it should help both him and Howard, to be honest Gustavsson's entire NHL career has been played behind at best mediocre defenses.

As for Mrazek, how many young goalies have looked amazing in a limited amount of games before falling back down to earth? I think it's really weird that so many think he's ready to not only be the backup but to potentially steal Howard's job. He's not the second coming of Hasek. One more season in the A, playing a ton of games and hopefully getting another succesful playoff run will be nothing but good for him. Rushing a young goalie is the worst thing you can do, it almost never ends well.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I think youre a bit tardy. I wanted Mrazek as the backup. McCollum starting in the A again. Gustavsson on the Leafs

If McCollum is good enough to warrant even an AHL spot the Leafs can sign him to play for the Marlies.

As far as I'm concerned he has been gone for a year now.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Well it look's to me that you are trying to talk your self out of a goalie who beat king Henrick for the best goalie in the sweed league, for a kid who stands no chance ever to play in the big leagues. Good thing you don't make the calls. Gus will be fine, And no goalie depth? Howie, Gus, Petr, Paterson is a good goalie bud hate to tell ya that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If McCollum is good enough to warrant even an AHL spot the Leafs can sign him to play for the Marlies.

As far as I'm concerned he has been gone for a year now.

This reminds me of all the fuss about Mursak. Boy, he sure showed us. Any day now Mursak will be an NHL contributor, just you guys wait.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
This reminds me of all the fuss about Mursak. Boy, he sure showed us. Any day now Mursak will be an NHL contributor, just you guys wait.

At one point I thought he'd be captain or at least on the Red Wings now, but he really faded.

Bob's your uncle on that one.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I fear that Ferraro will have a similar fate as Mursak.

Both good skaters with a good shot, and pretty good skill. Just very slight, and I think get manhandled a bit too much when they play against NHL'ers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's official
Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive

Jonas Gustavsson officially signed his one-year contract with Wings today. Slight bump from $1.5 million to $1.85 million.

Edit: Should probably update thread title Mod's, to include the term and $$$ :)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Like I said before: Meh.

Perhaps I am a little too high on Mrazek, but I thought he deserved a chance to become a 1b this season.

I don't disagree with you. Pretty meh move. I think Mrazek has the talent to be a 1b, as soon as this season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Jan Mursak has above average NHL speed and pretty good hands, he just had terrible timing and injury problems. I still believe he is absolutely NHL caliber and he was good in the KHL this year even picked up for their playoff run. Was a total stud in our Calder run as well.

It didn't work out sadly in Detroit, but he isn't a bad player and it wouldn't stun me if he wanted to take a pay cut if he showed up somewhere in the league. Keep in mind he does earn more to play a top 6 role overseas now. Not sure he would be interested, but have a feeling Blashill would be very open to bringing him back if he got the main job.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Jan Mursak has above average NHL speed and pretty good hands, he just had terrible timing and injury problems. I still believe he is absolutely NHL caliber and he was good in the KHL this year even picked up for their playoff run. Was a total stud in our Calder run as well.

It didn't work out sadly in Detroit, but he isn't a bad player and it wouldn't stun me if he wanted to take a pay cut if he showed up somewhere in the league. Keep in mind he does earn more to play a top 6 role overseas now. Not sure he would be interested, but have a feeling Blashill would be very open to bringing him back if he got the main job.

I think with his slight build, and play style, he's much better suited for the KHL.

I remember him getting crunched routinely in the NHL, when he was called up. Not sure it was just bad luck.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Perhaps I am a little too high on Mrazek, but I thought he deserved a chance to become a 1b this season.

The Wings are obviously high on Mrazek as well or they wouldn't have pushed for the 1 year deal for Monster.

If Howard returns to his usual schedule, the backup won't be an issue this year. He's going to play 60-65 games and draw all the difficult assignments.

All of that said, I've never been a huge Monster fan. He's always showed promise, with raw athletic instincts, but never delivered consistency. I thought he had the opportunity to shine in Detroit but he's basically plateaued as a streaky goalie with huge holes in his game. Literal huge holes. I would have gone another direction this year, but he's probably an excellent fit in the locker room and that's important with a goalie tandem. The backup and starter need to have a mutual respect and ability to push one another, rather than be rivals. Seems like Monster embraces that role well with Howard.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

Yeah I agree. A bit meh, would have liked to see more of Mrazek, but it's not a big deal this. Monster will do fine as a back up, and hopefully then Mrazek is with DRW in the 15-16 season.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Good move, IMO. I expect both Howard and Gutavsson to miss a couple games to injury, hopefully nothing too significant, and expect Mrazek to still get a couple games in this season. He will be better off carrying the Griffins than backing up Howard, I think. Excited to see him up next year.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Guys, holy crap.

Mrazek - one year of waiver eligibility

Gustavsson - one year contract

THE MATH WORKS OUT

The math isn't the problem. The issue is how having one year of waiver eligibility means he won't get promoted, even if he is ready for the NHL.

This looks like more of the same "rotting in the AHL" philosophy, but it's a backup goalie, so I am not going to get too worked up.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
Likewise, McCollum has four years of numbers that tell you that he's not even an AHL-quality backup.

sure but nobody cares about the AHL. McCollum starting in the AHL doesnt hurt what is important - the big club. Gustavsson here again and not Mrazek will hurt the Wings.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
sure but nobody cares about the AHL. McCollum starting in the AHL doesnt hurt what is important - the big club. Gustavsson here again and not Mrazek will hurt the Wings.

Sure, but if one of the two goalies on the big club goes down, who's next in line? McCollum.

Do you really want to take the chance of Thomas McCollum potentially having to start for us? I sure don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad