Pre-Game Talk: Detroit @ Ottawa: The Return of #11

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I hope they show the tribute video on tv.

They most likely won't though. ;(

Last edited:

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
The return. May the force be with us.

rw8t.jpg

Put Melnyk's face on the Emperor.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Zack Smith's mindset:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/11/30/zack-smith-wont-hold-back-on-his-old-friend-daniel-alfredsson

"It's a good opportunity for guys to maybe let a bit out on him when you couldn't before, when he was on your team,"............. "He's very competitive, especially for his age, and playing (against him) in practices, he's always pretty frustrating, because he's so skilled and he can just pick your pocket whenever he wants. So I'm looking forward to playing him.

"....I know I'll be going harder, if anything, because he's always been such a challenge," added Smith. "Here's a guy you kind of looked up to, and you always competed hard against, because he'd embarrass you otherwise.

"I wasn't going to put him on his ass at practice ... and I'm not saying that I could or will (Sunday). But sometimes he used moves and kind of went around you and frustrated you enough to make you want to.

"I wouldn't hold up on him."

Smith is full of respect for Alfredsson and expects fans in Ottawa will show they are, too........

"We've almost been looking forward to it. It will be nice to see the welcome he gets."

"I think (fans) will be great. He's been the face and the heart of the team for a lot of years. I wouldn't expect anything less than a great reception from all the fans.

"It was tough at the time (he left) but people do things for different reasons, and sometimes it's not made public. It will be nice to see him back and I think the fans will enjoy it too."

Just make him Captain already.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Go Sens go!

I, for one, am still angry about what happened in the offseason. That said, I will be at home, cheering him long and loud during his tribute in the pregame. He's earned the respect for what he gave this team and this city. Once the puck drops, however, he is just another player wearing the jersey of a division rival, and I will cheer against him just as I would cheer against anyone else, and hope the Sens grind the Wings into a fine powder.

Go Sens go!

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
alffie jersey on! hoping for a nice ovation.
but keep ypur head up buddy, cuz i want my sens win!

source

Jul 13, 2008
From the bottom of the story on TSN:

Hoping this is incorrect, personally.

Well that is some BS, as in, a very unfortunate coaching decision. Even if MacLean is trying to protect Anderson's ego, it's really no shame to be relegated to split duty with Lehner. And of course, Lehner gives us a better chance to win.

biffs

Jan 9, 2008
www.failrun.com
www.failrun.com
I'm all for the icy welcome, but a standing O at the end of the game. Not booing, but I like the idea of sitting on our hands until late in the game.

I heard they will be doing some kind of a tribute, hope its later in the game.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
If I were there tonight I would definitely cheer for alfie and I hope the fans do as well, here is a guy who brought the sens to the cup finals and greatest ottawa player in modern history. If winnipeg fans cheered for selanne's 4 years in winnipeg, sens fans SHOULD cheer for Alfredssons 17 years, that is just the right thing to do and the man deserves it

Last edited:

biffs

Jan 9, 2008
www.failrun.com
www.failrun.com
If I were there tonight I would definitely cheer for alife and I hope the fans do as well, here is a guy who brought the sens to the cup finals and greatest ottawa player in modern history. If winnipeg fans cheered for selanne's 4 years in winnipeg, sens fans SHOULD cheer for Alfredssons 17 years, that is just the right thing to do and the man deserves it

Selane/Winnipeg was quite a different story. He was traded mid season - he didn't turn his back on the team for money/respekt/etc

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
Anyone that does an Alfie chant at the 11:11 mark is an absolute moron. He's an opposing player and we need to getting behind OUR players, not the opposition. Christ

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I hope fans cheer Alfie today, but I also hope we wreck the Wings tonight and don't let him score.

Unfortunately, we're probably going to get embarrassed like all the games where players have returned to Ottawa.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm all for the icy welcome, but a standing O at the end of the game. Not booing, but I like the idea of sitting on our hands until late in the game.

I heard they will be doing some kind of a tribute, hope its later in the game.

That idea is rubbish. By the end of the game no one is going to care about a single player, they will be focused on the game.

Scenario 1: Sens win handedly! Screw you alfie!
Scenario 2: Tight game down to the wire, people care about the game, not #11.
Scenario 3: Sens get ruined. Screw this I'm headed to the parking lot.

In any scenario a post-game tribute is a silly time to do it.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If I were there tonight I would definitely cheer for alfie and I hope the fans do as well, here is a guy who brought the sens to the cup finals and greatest ottawa player in modern history. If winnipeg fans cheered for selanne's 4 years in winnipeg, sens fans SHOULD cheer for Alfredssons 17 years, that is just the right thing to do and the man deserves it

So a man who said he does not care about his legacy in ottawa deserves to be cheered for?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
So a man who said he does not care about his legacy in ottawa deserves to be cheered for?

:facepalm:

The fact that he did those things deserves the cheering, regardless of how he presently feels.

Gretzky had the final say in his own trade. He was called up and told they wouldn't do it if he didn't agree to it. Pretty sure Edmonton doesn't boo his ass out of town.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad