Rumor: Detroit Interested in Petry

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
So you like more mistake-prone defence and losing games?

And you don't like Simon Edvinsson learn from a veteran? It has never been better for a prospect to learn from other learner.
i'd say mistake-prone and losing games are things that could be levelled at petry too, to be honest.
i'd also say that learning from veterans is all well and good, but not veterans who are on contracts like petry. plenty of talented veteran d out there that don't cost as much.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Does anyone remember Jeff Petry in Edmonton?
4-11-15 -25
traded away for a 2nd and 4th.

People wanting to give up on Hronek are making a mistake.
I'm fine moving him in a value-for-value trade.
But Petry?

Are these 50-something Bless-You-Boys nostalgists pining for Petry in Detroit?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
A valuable veteran to a young club is one with cup winning experience not just being old.

Let's not ruin the rebuild here by trading away valuable assets, which includes picks, and taking on dead cap and guys who won't be here when it matters.

Trade Bert, Hronek, prospects or picks all you want, but do so for guys under 26 who can be part of the long term solution.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
OK let's clear some things up.

I think Petry is a better hockey player than Hronek, even at his current age. I think he'll continue to be for the next few years. But some will disagree with this notion outright, and that makes it a nonstarter for them. That's understandable.

If Yzerman trades for Petry, I hope it's very cheap. Petry's contract isn't wild, but it's expensive for a guy his age planning on playing the 2nd pairing.

I don't think Hronek should be moved for Petry in essentially a 1 for 1. That's bad value.

Petry has value to the Wings because they aren't hurting for cap during the years his contract spans. He's a defensive improvement over current roster players. If he can be acquired cheap, then Hronek can be moved for help elsewhere.

It's the same logic behind bringing in Klingberg, except Klingberg is the far more exciting (and expensive) option.

The blueline needs a change. Rolling Hronek with the same deployment is going to get the same results. I'm not selling him for a song, but I welcome options like Petry, even if it's not the most exciting or ideal option.

I'd imagine most people also feel this way, given the comments I've seen.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
A valuable veteran to a young club is one with cup winning experience not just being old.

Let's not ruin the rebuild here by trading away valuable assets, which includes picks, and taking on dead cap and guys who won't be here when it matters.

Trade Bert, Hronek, prospects or picks all you want, but do so for guys under 26 who can be part of the long term solution.

You make it sound like we control trades. A lot of people on HFB do the same, and it cracks me up.

Stevie doesn't give a rat's ass what we think, and he's really good at trades so I'm not really concerned about stupid rumors.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You make it sound like we control trades. A lot of people on HFB do the same, and it cracks me up.

Stevie doesn't give a rat's ass what we think, and he's really good at trades so I'm not really concerned about stupid rumors.

I mean isnt that all hfboards is.. peoples whose opinion dosent matter and has no effect. Whether that be trades, drafting or roster utilization it's all make believe

W/to that the site dosent exist

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I mean isnt that all hfboards is.. peoples whose opinion dosent matter and has no effect. Whether that be trades, drafting or roster utilization it's all make believe

W/to that the site dosent exist

No, you can discuss possible trades or draft picks without acting like we make decisions for the team.

Probably just semantics, but the way some people word things crack me up.

For example I could say
"this trade sucks, I hope Stevie hangs up the phone"
instead of
"I'm not doing this trade" or some version of.

CountMC

Mar 30, 2022
OK let's clear some things up.

I think Petry is a better hockey player than Hronek, even at his current age. I think he'll continue to be for the next few years. But some will disagree with this notion outright, and that makes it a nonstarter for them. That's understandable.

If Yzerman trades for Petry, I hope it's very cheap. Petry's contract isn't wild, but it's expensive for a guy his age planning on playing the 2nd pairing.

I don't think Hronek should be moved for Petry in essentially a 1 for 1. That's bad value.

Petry has value to the Wings because they aren't hurting for cap during the years his contract spans. He's a defensive improvement over current roster players. If he can be acquired cheap, then Hronek can be moved for help elsewhere.

It's the same logic behind bringing in Klingberg, except Klingberg is the far more exciting (and expensive) option.

The blueline needs a change. Rolling Hronek with the same deployment is going to get the same results. I'm not selling him for a song, but I welcome options like Petry, even if it's not the most exciting or ideal option.

I'd imagine most people also feel this way, given the comments I've seen.

I'm aligned with this.

I like Petry as an option only if he is acquired cheaply . Klingberg is more exciting, but a distraction IMO. He'll be more expensive, for much longer and his calling card is offense, so he'll need to be on PP1 to be worth the money he is going to get. I don't want him bumping Seider from that spot.

The 3 years is almost perfect. 2 would be better, but the 3rd year will also allow him to be acquired more cheaply. He was actually closer to value for money this year than Hronek was, based on Dom L's GSVA model. I'm sure people will rebel against that, but that is how the most successful betting model of the past few seasons feels about the comparison.

I certainly wouldn't trade Hronek for him, but I would be happy with Petry filling Hronek's role and Hronek being moved for help elsewhere.

Reactions: Bench

CountMC

Mar 30, 2022
At the NHL level, most coaches still play matchups though. You pit your defenseman best suited for the assignment against the other team's top line, especially at home. And in Detroit, even with Petry, that is going to be Seider. He's going to get the other team's top line. It's of course great to have backup for that role, especially on the road, and I guess Petry could be the first guy to jump on the ice when it can't be Seider. But that's all he would be in general, the first alternate for the toughest defensive assignments.

If the Wings are losing? Sure, I can see skewing Seider towards O-zone starts and Petry towards D-zone starts, in order to make something happen offensively, but we're getting awfully particular here. In general, Petry shouldn't be eating into Seider's defensive assignments. Seider is easily the better defender.

It's entirely possible to have your #1 and #2 dmen both be RHD, or LHD, it does happen. But given all the context around the possibility of a Petry acquisition, and what it would mean for Detroit's D corps, this is pretty square peg in a round hole. And this all feels weird, because we are comparing apples to oranges. Petry is not, and has never been, on the level of Moe Seider. They are in different tiers, different classes. Petry may easily be the 2nd best defenseman on Detroit, but he's still not close to Seider, even defensively.

He'd just be a nice option to have. A very capable defender who can provide relief and take those tougher assignments, when required. It gives a coach more flexibility.

I still don't understand why anyone would think I am trying to level Petry up to Seider.

Seider is the #1 and gets all the minutes he can handle. Petry becomes the #2 and plays big minutes (a lot more than the typical #2) because the D core is still not very good. Petry's deployment would be biased more towards defensive minutes, but he wouldn't take those minutes from Seider when Seider is available for them.

Does that make sense? I'm trying to better explain haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad