GDT: Detroit at Carolina CANCELLED (Rescheduled for 3/27)

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This is still kinda unfair. This essentially means we have to make an extra trip to Carolina at some point this year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Whelp, gives the boys an extra day to heal up.

It isn't really an extra day. They prepared to play today, this isn't like a day off. I really didn't like how the NHL Network guys were trying to spin it like that.

Now they are also going to have to work this back in on a true day off. Pretty crummy situation, but oh well it has happened they have to make the best of it now.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It isn't really an extra day. They prepared to play today, this isn't like a day off. I really didn't like how the NHL Network guys were trying to spin it like that.

Now they are also going to have to work this back in on a true day off. Pretty crummy situation, but oh well it has happened they have to make the best of it now.

Yeah, but less bumps and bruises. Spending a day prepping for a game still isn't quite the same as the bump and grind of an actual game.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Thanks guys and sorry I didn't give the final update - I noticed y'alls equipment guy taking the team's sticks off the bench (PNC's one of those arenas where the visitor's locker room isn't adjacent to their bench, but instead on the opposite side of the arena, so your equipment guy had to walk across the ice with a big bundle of sticks. Not exactly something one can do stealthily :laugh:) - at that point I knew it was a no-go. From what I understand the repair was made, the system recharged with coolant, and they were just making sure that the coolant levels stayed constant and that the ice temperature was dropping to where they could drop the puck I can only assume that the latter wasn't happening quickly enough.

Oh please, please, please reschedule it for a Saturday or Sunday.

If it is and you can make it down, Soup, there's a beer on me with your name on it.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Yeah at least we didn't lose 0-1 in OT. :laugh: What a frigging drag. Crazy I've never even heard of a game cancellation like this. How many times has it happened before? Total bush-league and a complete embarrassment where North Carolina is at. Sad there's some good money around the region, they should be paying better attention.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah at least we didn't lose 0-1 in OT. :laugh: What a frigging drag. Crazy I've never even heard of a game cancellation like this. How many times has it happened before? Total bush-league and a complete embarrassment where North Carolina is at. Sad there's some good money around the region, they should be paying better attention.

In all fairness, this could happen at any arena. Even we had an issue last year, with a peg ripping a hole in the ice at Joe Louis Arena, causing a long delay, against the Islanders.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Thanks guys and sorry I didn't give the final update - I noticed y'alls equipment guy taking the team's sticks off the bench (PNC's one of those arenas where the visitor's locker room isn't adjacent to their bench, but instead on the opposite side of the arena, so your equipment guy had to walk across the ice with a big bundle of sticks. Not exactly something one can do stealthily :laugh:) - at that point I knew it was a no-go. From what I understand the repair was made, the system recharged with coolant, and they were just making sure that the coolant levels stayed constant and that the ice temperature was dropping to where they could drop the puck I can only assume that the latter wasn't happening quickly enough.

Thanks for the updates. It's a crummy situation but it is what it is.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Well we didn't lose tonight. Tight game! Too tight!
Now wait just a minute!

You mean to tell me that The Detroit Red Wings didn't score a single goal, and didn't even START a goaltender, and they didn't lose?!?

They should have Carolina on the schedule more often. The stats are incredible, especially for this defense. ;)

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

It would have been bush league if the team had kept fans around longer in hopes they'd keep spending on concessions and then only announced at 9:30 there'd be no game. Or if they attempted to play anyway and a player got hurt as a result of subpar ice. Parts break and these things happen. They also sent out an e-mail last night, the upshot of which I'm listing below - not sure if it applies to everyone (including some of you guys who may have come down from the game or just bought single game tickets or just STHs, though. I do know they were giving parking vouchers to everybody as they left the arena yesterday.

• A rescheduled game date has yet to be announced by the NHL.
  • Your original ticket for tonight’s game will be valid for the rescheduled game vs. Detroit. No exchange will be necessary.
  • Additionally, we will be providing you a bonus voucher that will be redeemable for any remaining regular season home game (excluding 12/23, 12/30, 1/20).
  • We will also be offering STM Appreciation Game concession pricing at the re-scheduled Detroit Red Wings game.
  • Parking- Your parking pass from tonight’s game (VIP, PG, P, and G) will be accepted at the rescheduled game.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Even on a regular day off they still work out and practice. Will just be a tight schedule at some point. Not that much of a problem.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Even on a regular day off they still work out and practice. Will just be a tight schedule at some point. Not that much of a problem.

Maybe neither team has players to represent during the all-star game, so these two teams can play a day during all-star break for our viewing pleasure/hockey fix.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
In all fairness, this could happen at any arena. Even we had an issue last year, with a peg ripping a hole in the ice at Joe Louis Arena, causing a long delay, against the Islanders.

Any arena? Could you imagine a HNIC game in Toronto, Winnipeg, or Edmonton cancelled due to a broken compressor? Impossible.

Breakdowns like this don't happen immediately, or if they do it wasn't the case in Raleigh. The team was reporting horrible ice at 1:30 that day. How long was it already questionable? Ice preparation begins the night before, building up adequate layers that can be shaved down during the game. Someone was asleep at the wheel I'm sure they've heard about it.

I'm not calling for Carolina's staff to be crucified but admit the cancellation was unprofessional and due to a lack of care/awareness. It is bush- just like Detroit's **** ice most games, or when it took Florida 30 minutes to change a piece of plexi and couldn't get the backing off, lol.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Any arena? Could you imagine a HNIC game in Toronto, Winnipeg, or Edmonton cancelled due to a broken compressor? Impossible.

Breakdowns like this don't happen immediately, or if they do it wasn't the case in Raleigh. The team was reporting horrible ice at 1:30 that day. How long was it already questionable? Ice preparation begins the night before, building up adequate layers that can be shaved down during the game. Someone was asleep at the wheel I'm sure they've heard about it.

I'm not calling for Carolina's staff to be crucified but admit the cancellation was unprofessional and due to a lack of care/awareness. It is bush- just like Detroit's **** ice most games, or when it took Florida 30 minutes to change a piece of plexi and couldn't get the backing off, lol.

I can finally agree with you on something.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What in the actual ****

The NHL rescheduled this game for March 27th..

So we play in Minny the 26th, then have to fly to Carolina and play them on the 27th and 28th, then Tampa 2 days later.

We have games on 3 straight nights, 4 games in 5 days, and 9 games in a 14 day span. It seems the Wings are being punished here for ice issues in Carolina. This is a complete joke.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I dropped this in the NHL thread, but figured y'all might like it here, too:

Scheduling relies on many things: Detroit being available, Carolina being available, mandated NHL days off (Christmas Eve, Christmas, Boxing Day, Centnnial and Winter Classics, new 5-day bye week) and PNC being available. Here's the conflict breakdown (not all conflicts listed when there are multiple conflicts):

December:
21-23: CAR 3-in-3, CAR game, CAR game.
24-26: NHL Holiday
27-29: DET game, DET 3-in-3, DET game.
30-31: CAR game, CAR game

January:
1-2: Outdoor games
3-10: Carolina hellscape.
10-26: Detroit hellscape.
27-29: PNC events (Comedy Get Down, Monster Jam x2)
30: Uh, I found a day, but can it be turned over from Monster Jam?
31: CAR game

February:
1: PNC event (College basketball)
2-4: CAR 3-in-3, CAR game, CAR game
5: DET 3-in-3
6: DET 4-in-5
7-12: DET mini-hellscape
12-16: CAR bye week
17-21: CAR game, CAR 3-in-3, CAR game, CAR 3-in-3, CAR game
22-27: DET extra-large bye week. Six days instead of agreed upon 5 days. I don't know which day is not part of the bye week, but for the benefit of the doubt, let's say it's 27. In that case, 27 is a CAR 3-in-3.
28: DET game

March:
1: CAR game
2-24: DET hellscape. Every free day for DET makes a 4-in-5 or a 3-in-3.
25: CAR game
26-30: DET game, DET 3-in-3, DET game, DET 3-in-3, DET game
31: CAR 3-in-3

April:
1-9: Carolina hellscape
10: Even if they extended the regular season by 1 day, it's 3-in-3 for CAR.

So, in short, there's only one day, 1/30, that causes absolutely no conflicts. And even that's questionable - I imagine Monster Jam must be a helluva cleanup afterwards.

Perhaps a second day could be counted if 2/22 were allowed as a non-bye week day, because the bye week is only supposed to be 5 days long. Or maybe Detroit gets an extra day off because their bye week crosses the weekend, unlike some (most?) teams.

And, actually, looking at the schedule, my original idea of pushing the 3/28 game to 3/29 to avoid a Detroit 3-in-3 doesn't really work, because it makes a Detroit 4-in-5. Honestly, I don't know which is better, but the "day off" for Detroit would just be them stuck in Carolina. And doing that simultaneously creates a 4-in-5 for Carolina.

I guess the NHL decided to give only one team pain instead of both teams pain. And if you're going to have to do 3-in-3, at least there's no travel on each day.

There is almost no other day you could do it that doesn't create either a 3-in-3 or a 4-in-5. I don't know which is better...with a 3-in-3, you can limit a backup goalie to play just the middle game, while with a 4-in-5, you either have your starting goalie play back-to-back, or your backup play twice.

The one silver lining is that you don't have to travel to Carolina an extra time. If you've got to have a 3-in-3, this is the way you want it: no travel in the last two days.

The only other solution is to create a domino effect and reschedule two NHL games instead of just one. That's possible, and it was done two years ago due to Buffalo's snow. I'm also pretty sure they had to domino-reschedule games due to the Boston Marathon bombing. But my guess is with the compressed bye-week schedule, they just decided to take the 3-in-3 pain and roll with it. Fans don't like it when games get rescheduled, so minimizing the total number of schedule changes is obviously a priority.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I dropped this in the NHL thread, but figured y'all might like it here, too:

There is almost no other day you could do it that doesn't create either a 3-in-3 or a 4-in-5. I don't know which is better...with a 3-in-3, you can limit a backup goalie to play just the middle game, while with a 4-in-5, you either have your starting goalie play back-to-back, or your backup play twice.

The one silver lining is that you don't have to travel to Carolina an extra time. If you've got to have a 3-in-3, this is the way you want it: no travel in the last two days.

The only other solution is to create a domino effect and reschedule two NHL games instead of just one. That's possible, and it was done two years ago due to Buffalo's snow. I'm also pretty sure they had to domino-reschedule games due to the Boston Marathon bombing. But my guess is with the compressed bye-week schedule, they just decided to take the 3-in-3 pain and roll with it. Fans don't like it when games get rescheduled, so minimizing the total number of schedule changes is obviously a priority.

Why does the NHL "punish" Detroit with 3 games in 3 nights though and Carolina is off the hook? The game had to be reschedule due to something that happened in their home rink, so would it not be fair to give the Canes the 3 in 3?

It's ridiculous that Detroit now has to play Minny at home, then fly out to Carolina for back to back games there. It's pretty nonsensical to me that the Wings are being "punished" for a Carolina mistake. I understand it is tough to schedule these things, especially this season, but in my mind the Canes should be forced to do a 3 in 3, not Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad