GDT: Detroit at Carolina CANCELLED (Rescheduled for 3/27)

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Why does the NHL "punish" Detroit with 3 games in 3 nights though and Carolina is off the hook? The game had to be reschedule due to something that happened in their home rink, so would it not be fair to give the Canes the 3 in 3?

It's ridiculous that Detroit now has to play Minny at home, then fly out to Carolina for back to back games there. It's pretty nonsensical to me that the Wings are being "punished" for a Carolina mistake. I understand it is tough to schedule these things, especially this season, but in my mind the Canes should be forced to do a 3 in 3, not Detroit.

I know a few folks in this thread would disagree with me, but I don't think it's a "LOL Carolina bad ice" problem. IIRC, the Islanders have had ice-making equipment that isn't up to NHL standards. I don't think you can fault the Hurricanes for a piece of equipment that malfunctioned. I'm not aware that PNC has had chronic problems, but hey, I'm willing to be shown wrong on that point. But unless there's a history, I'm willing to chalk it up as an oops.

This isn't the first time a game's been delayed due to malfunctions, and it won't be the last. In 1988, the Stanley Cup Finals (that's right, the FINALS!) in Boston got postponed after playing for about 30 minutes on foggy ice. Eventually, the electricity shut down, probably from the HVAC putting a heavy load on it. The 3-3 game was never finished - they played the next game from the start in Edmonton, and that ended the series.

Kanenenights

Mar 4, 2013
Rotterdam
The rescheduled game will force the Red Wings to play three games in three nights, which is almost unheard of in the NHL.

They play March 26 at home against Minnesota and were already scheduled to play March 28 in Carolina.

The Hurricanes do not play on March 26 but will play three times in four nights because of the new schedule. After the two games vs. the Red Wings, they host Columbus March 30.

The Red Wings played three games in three nights back in 2005-06, when they had a game in Nashville postponed after Jiri Fischer collapsed on the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad