Detroit and the Lottery

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
That must make it look worse for Detroit fans since Ottawa ended up with the 3rd overall pick which they only got by trading Erik Karlsson.
The third pick was actually the Ottawa pick. The San Jose pick dropped two spots to 5th.

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
No question about it: Detroit got stiffed, Ottawa doubly so...

and the NHL has PROVEN....beyond a SHADOW of a DOUBT...that they are the MOST...ineptly run of the 4 major sports leagues. And it's not EVEN close.

How so? If you think the draft lottery odds are somehow the most important metric in evaluating how well run a league is, you should take a look at the NBA draft lottery odds. They're very close to the NHL lottery odds, in fact, it's even harder to win the #1 overall pick as the worst team in the NBA, with the odds being 14% asvopposed to 18.5% in the NHL.

But it's more fun to say the NHL is just the absolute worst. AND IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
odds where against them winning anyways with 80% chance it's not them, but its a stingger for sure since they tanked so hard to win the 1st pick. kinda happy they didn't win it to be honest.

They didn't choose to have Mantha get injured tangling with Muzzin or DeKeyser doing DeKeyser things. They didn't plan on Jimmy Howard being worse than a literal zamboni driver in net. The Wings tried to win games this year. They just had no damn talent. They didn't tank, they were just that damn bad.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
as DRW fan not even mad as long as we get rossi or to a lesser extent raymond

As somebody that has Rossi at #14 on my board, this would be worse than what just happened... I am not sure what they will do, but I really hope it isn't that pick at all.

This system sucks, hopefully they change it in the off-season. The league basically admitted they know it sucks with the initial May plan. All I can hope is they correct it when they get a chance to.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The third pick was actually the Ottawa pick. The San Jose pick dropped two spots to 5th.
Nope it was San Jose's pick that turned into the 3rd pick for Ottawa.

Placeholder wins first phase of Draft Lottery, Sens get third, fifth picks - TSN.ca

The Ottawa Senators had the best collective odds (25 per cent) for that pick – and still the best odds after the first three balls were drawn – but settled for the third and fifth picks. Their own pick landed fifth overall after a 30th-place finish; the San Jose Sharks’ pick from the 2018 trade for Erik Karlsson brought the third pick.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
As somebody that has Rossi at #14 on my board, this would be worse than what just happened... I am not sure what they will do, but I really hope it isn't that pick at all.

This system sucks, hopefully they change it in the off-season. The league basically admitted they know it sucks with the initial May plan. All I can hope is they correct it when they get a chance to.

thats remarkably low, ive seen him as high as 3

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Nope it was San Jose's pick that turned into the 3rd pick for Ottawa.

Placeholder wins first phase of Draft Lottery, Sens get third, fifth picks - TSN.ca

The Ottawa Senators had the best collective odds (25 per cent) for that pick – and still the best odds after the first three balls were drawn – but settled for the third and fifth picks. Their own pick landed fifth overall after a 30th-place finish; the San Jose Sharks’ pick from the 2018 trade for Erik Karlsson brought the third pick.

Weird but This was from Bob Mckenzie...
"If I’m figuring this out correctly obviously Unknown Team and L.A. won first and second pick draws, respectively, but OTT won third pick drawing. Otherwise, DET would have been in the No. 3 hole instead of Ottawa. DET dropped three spots (1 to 4), OTT went from 2/3 to 3/5."

Just saw the lottery video and looks like the 3rd overall was the SJ pick.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just saw the lottery video and looks like the 3rd overall was the SJ pick.
That's exactly what happened.

It was no different when Boston got the 2nd overall pick in 2010 since they owned Toronto's 1st round pick that year. Although back then they only had a lottery for just the 1st overall pick, so all Boston did was remain where they would have been with Toronto's odds since Edmonton won it that year.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Wings were a top 3 seed for 20+ years.... I dont mind them taking a break
Jersey was up there for a while as well but decided to chop it down earlier

Glad they made that decision instead of dragging on mediocre success for another 4-6 years like Detroit did

Reactions: Tetsuo

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The bounce of Bettman's balls is cruel. A top 3 pick would have been perfect. A few albatross contracts to wait out. I think Yzerman make take one more crack at the lottery. A rough few years ahead still.

Yzerman took his time with Tampa as well. Other than the surprise post season berth in 2011, he continued to build thru the draft until they made the finals run in 2015 and the window was open. Hes patient.

Its going to be absolute chaos if a team like Toronto or Pittsburgh loses in the play-in round and gets the top pick.

Good news for LA is they get Byfield, a great centre to build around.

No question about it: Detroit got stiffed, Ottawa doubly so...

and the NHL has PROVEN....beyond a SHADOW of a DOUBT...that they are the MOST...ineptly run of the 4 major sports leagues. And it's not EVEN close.

At least they have a return to play plan, unlike those idiots who ran the league in 1919 and cancelled the finals :sarcasm:

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Its going to be absolute chaos if a team like Toronto or Pittsburgh loses in the play-in round and gets the top pick.
Speaking as a Leafs fan I don't want them losing to Columbus in the play in round, so I rather see them win and not going for the 1st overall pick.

Also if a placeholder team did not win the 1st pick tonight that would have guaranteed Toronto not keeping their 1st round pick this year since it was conditionally traded to Carolina, but it was top 10 protected. There is no possible way it can be 9th, or 10th overall based on their point percentage and where they finished in the standings.

So now it's down to defeating Columbus and giving Carolina the pick which will be around 16th overall since they would have made the playoffs. However if they lose to Columbus they get a 12.5% chance at 1st overall and if they don't win it Carolina gets their pick a little higher. Now if by a miracle Toronto got 1st overall then Carolina gets their 2021 1st round pick without any conditions.

Reactions: Voight

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Did anyone see if Yzerman stuck around to shake the winning GM's hand or if he just beelined it for the dressing room?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
wow can't imagine being that unlucky

I mean, it’s not that crazy unlucky. Percentages were not in their favor all four years and heavily not in their favor the three prior to this one.

This year is the only one I’d say is unlucky considering the previous three years and how far down they fell this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad