Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Valtteri Filppula signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $3M AAV)

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm happy he's gone.

Can you imagine a Red Wings fan going into a coma back in March, and then waking up today to news that the Red Wings re-treaded Filppula and overpaid a pylon Swedish Dman. Guy would probably roll his eyes and say "Damnit, Holland". :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Live in your revisionist world if you want to. I'm happy he's gone.
Because I don't think lame hypotheticals of what our old gm would sign these players to are worthwhile I live in a revisionist world. Okay.

I think most everyone's happy he's not our GM anymore. Myself included.

Reactions: njx9

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Holland signed (brought back) Mikael Samuelson at age 36 for 2 seasons coming off a season of 31 points in 54 games and everyone hated the fact we brought him back. Flip signs at age 35 coming off a season of 31 points in 72 games and all the Yzerman slappies nod their head in unison repeating "veteran mentor."

We were trying to compete then and we knew Samuelson wouldn’t help us. We’re not trying to compete now so I have no problem with this signing. Scenarios are night and day.

Reactions: Reddwit

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
upload_2019-7-1_16-34-16.jpeg

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
We were trying to compete then and we knew Samuelson wouldn’t help us. We’re not trying to compete now so I have no problem with this signing. Scenarios are night and day.

Why couldn't a guy who put up 31 points in 54 games (47 point/82 game pace) help the Wings as a depth player for minimal cost?

Reactions: archimet

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
1 of 2 actually... ;);)
Make that three!

Anyways, don't hate it. Rasmussen could use some time in the AHL. Its unrealistic to expect Veleno to NHL ready. Zadina hasn't really claimed his stake yet either. Stop gap move which will probably be fliped into a pick come season after next deadline.
It is quite interesting to see Yzerman pull off a Holland type move without seeing the mob with pitch-forks after him here. Thats about the only good thing to see as of this change from Holland to Yzerman so far.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Why couldn't a guy who put up 31 points in 54 games (47 point/82 game pace) help the Wings as a depth player for minimal cost?

He was being boosted by the Sedins iirc. Went on to produce 4 points in 30 games for us, so clearly we were right to be upset about his return, no?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Every cap dollar counted, it adds up. You made a insulting post based on a flimsy straw man that could be blown over by a 300 pound man with emphysema. Take your L and move along.

I kind odmf wonder what your opinion of Nielsen signing was in context. Something tells me you didn't like it and yet it wasn't much different from this one. Given that we had nothing in the pipeline as oppose to now and Nielsen was coming off some impressive years.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Make that three!

Anyways, don't hate it. Rasmussen could use some time in the AHL. Its unrealistic to expect Veleno to NHL ready. Zadina hasn't really claimed his stake yet either. Stop gap move which will probably be fliped into a pick come season after next deadline.
It is quite interesting to see Yzerman pull off a Holland type move without seeing the mob with pitch-forks after him here. Thats about the only good thing to see as of this change from Holland to Yzerman so far.

I don't hate it either. There's a pretty wide gap between Nielsen and Glendening that needed to be filled. AA seems better suited at wing, and none of their young C are ready to step into a #3C role. I would've rather had one year of term so they can dump him at the deadline for a pic, but oh well.

Reactions: archimet

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I don't hate it either. There's a pretty wide gap between Nielsen and Glendening that needed to be filled. AA seems better suited at wing, and none of their young C are ready to step into a #3C role. I would've rather had one year of term so they can dump him at the deadline for a pic, but oh well.

Yeah but we have no guarantee that any youngsters are ready to take over yet. Two years seems perfectly fine and who know, Filp might have a decent year and add some scoring for us.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Yeah but we have no guarantee that any youngsters are ready to take over yet. Two years seems perfectly fine and who know, Filp might have a decent year and add some scoring for us.

That just makes him more valuable at the deadline. Then they can snag another 1 year stop gap next summer and do the same.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Stevie must really have a thing for Flip. Brought him down to Tampa and brings him back here.

None of the moves today are going to make any team shake in their skates...I really don't care. Build this team up slowly and steadily...don't throw away money in free agency like that gentleman that now works in Edmonton.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Can you imagine a Red Wings fan going into a coma back in March, and then waking up today to news that the Red Wings re-treaded Filppula and overpaid a pylon Swedish Dman. Guy would probably roll his eyes and say "Damnit, Holland". :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm going to assume that Yzerman isn't done yet. Until then, not sure what's going on.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
When we signed him, Samuelson was coming off of a more productive season than Filppula had last year. Can’t use Samuelsson’s 2 years as a wing against him in the comparison when Flip could be just as bad (time will tell, he obviously hasn’t played yet under the contract). We’re talking about at the time the contract was signed.

At the time Samuelsson's contract was signed (12-13)... we were still a playoff team. We still had 32 year old Z, 34 year old Pavs, etc. and were still ostensibly trying to compete.
At the time Filppula's contract was signed (today)... we just were fourth worst in the NHL and look to be at about that level for 19-20 as well.

The two situations aren't remotely comparable and it's got nothing to do with who is sitting in the GM's seat. We didn't need "mentorship" and good pros to help young players develop in 2012 FA. We need a guy who could be effective secondary scoring. Samuelsson failed miserably at that. Filppula is literally a stopgap signing so we don't HAVE to have Veleno come up and suck on a really bad team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Gonna be lots of fun watching Flip and Abdelkader on the top two lines while Veleno and Zadina rot away in GR.

You're right dude, it would be so much more exciting to see Veleno and Zadina stumble through a season against guys bigger, stronger, and faster than anyone they've ever played... and if they are overmatched to just keep throwing them out there, because eventually they'll get it, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad