Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Valtteri Filppula signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $3M AAV)

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I would not have complained if Holland had brought Filp back on this deal. The bad deals (Nielsen, Helm, Abby, DD, Ericsson, Daley, etc, etc) are all bad because of the term and NTC protections he dolled out. This a pure stop gap move. It applies pressure on our under performing vets and gives them depth in case of an injury. There is no point in playing the youth if the Wings are getting shelled every game. The difference between the Samuelsson signing and this one is that the Wings were still trying to make the playoffs, whereas this one is to hold the fort down and make sure there is sufficient talent on the roster so that way the young players aren't forced to play above their pay grade. In addition, when they secure a roster spot, they are playing with someone decent rather than garbage. Wings' fans need to chill. They aren't going to be much better this year unless some combination of Larkin, Hronek, Mantha, AA and Bert take off. And if they do, then that is a good problem to have.

Reactions: Sparkzuk and njx9

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, because Filppula turned down 7 years at $5 million...

Much more likely that Holland laughed at $3M per.
Just wait until Holland starts giving your 30+ year old depth players 7 year deals. I don't know who will be laughing but it certainly won't be Holland.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Are people really worried that guys lik JDR, Ehn, Filppula will all jsut kinda swap in and out with Svech who hs barely played in the last year? Veleno who has never played agaisnt men and doesnt do him any good in our bottom 6. Then add Helm always injured? Who is he displacing? Its bodies for wheb injuries come because they will, and we don't want to bury skilled kids on bottom 6 spots and crush their confidence and put them in a bad spot.

No I'm not ecstatic about the signing but I really dont see it being a problem, is Rasmussen, Veleno, Svech or Zadina are all ready top olay big roles, they will get them.

Reactions: njx9

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I’m not going to kiss his ass and act like he’s flawless just because some here defend him to no end and neither should anyone else
No one's asking you to. But to chalk up untrue hypotheticals of what you think he would've done is as dumb as blindly defending him.

E: I don't know if it was you that brought it up, just using it as an example.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Zero negative bearing? Let’s see

A) Takes up a roster spot
B) How much offense is he actually going to provide
C) Moveable? That is a very slim chance without retaining which would be stupid

But but but Yzerplan!
10 minutes before this signing, we were having a discussion about reaching the cap floor. Now, this 3 million is suddenly handcuffing us?

We needed a center to play center, we got a center. It's fine.

(and for the record, I was the only person in the state of Michigan for the past 3 years that was arguing that Yzerman is not some god of a GM)

Reactions: njx9

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Holland signed (brought back) Mikael Samuelson at age 36 for 2 seasons coming off a season of 31 points in 54 games and everyone hated the fact we brought him back. Flip signs at age 35 coming off a season of 31 points in 72 games and all the Yzerman slappies nod their head in unison repeating "veteran mentor."

I think it's more "warm body". Holland brought in guys like Samuelsson, Colaiccavo, and Tootoo when the team was 2 years removed from the Finals, and then used it as an excuse to keep prospects in the AHL. Yzerman is just filling out a roster while still keeping room for the kids. Holland would've signed Flip and 3 other veteran forwards at 2+ million to fill out this roster. Keep in mind Holland's last major signing was a Flip level player, Nielsen, and his contract was for more twice the term and almost twice the money that this contract is. As much as you want to be a Holland slappy, the situations are in no way alike.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Just wait until Holland starts giving your 30+ year old depth players 7 year deals. I don't know who will be laughing but it certainly won't be Holland.

Like who?

Could we get a list of the 30+ year old depth players that got seven year deals from Holland?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I think it's more "warm body". Holland brought in guys like Samuelsson, Colaiccavo, and Tootoo when the team was 2 years removed from the Finals, and then used it as an excuse to keep prospects in the AHL. Yzerman is just filling out a roster while still keeping room for the kids. Holland would've signed Flip and 3 other veteran forwards at 2+ million to fill out this roster. Keep in mind Holland's last major signing was a Flip level player, Nielsen, and his contract was for more twice the term and almost twice the money that this contract is. As much as you want to be a Holland slappy, the situations are in no way alike.

Can you name a single offseason during his entire GM career where Holland signed 4 mediocre depth veteran forwards for 2M+?

Nielsen was supposed to be a top 6 center. It was a bad signing and it didn’t work out but it’s not a similar situation to signing Flip or Samuelsson to two year contracts.

Seems like Yzerman is signing Flip as an excuse to keep the prospects in GR. Don’t see how this is any different than what Holland allegedly did in the past. And btw, the Wings have better prospects on the cusp of the NHL now than they did back then.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Good term, good guy to sit in the press box or play bottom 6 minutes.

I'm not sure what people wanted to happen this offseason. Maybe we should've been outbidding PHL for Hayes or something, or letting guys like Veleno play grind line minutes. That development path worked wonders for Jurco, after all.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
When we signed him, Samuelson was coming off of a more productive season than Filppula had last year. Can’t use Samuelsson’s 2 years as a wing against him in the comparison when Flip could be just as bad (time will tell, he obviously hasn’t played yet under the contract). We’re talking about at the time the contract was signed.
You still don't understand context and circumstances. Amazing, really. Let me try this again in crayon. Filpulla no sign to help contender if he bad no loss don't need cap space we're not good with a fil or with a no fil. Sammy was signed when we needed help and still trying to contend need difference maker no get difference maker get Holland retreat again that's a poopooo and make fan frustrated.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Cause you cap situation is atrocious.

The wings could have spent up to 24M on the free agent market this year if they wanted to. Prior to these signings the Wings has ~50M in cap space next offseason, and ~70M the offseason after that.

What are you talking about?

Reactions: archimet

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
You still don't understand context and circumstances. Amazing, really. Let me try this again in crayon. Filpulla no sign to help contender if he bad no loss don't need cap space we're not good with a fil or with a no fil. Sammy was signed when we needed help and still trying to contend need difference maker no get difference maker get Holland retreat again that's a poopooo and make fan frustrated.

Samuelson signed for 3M/year. You don’t get difference makers for that price.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Samuelson signed for 3M/year. You don’t get difference makers for that price.
Every cap dollar counted, it adds up. You made a insulting post based on a flimsy straw man that could be blown over by a 300 pound man with emphysema. Take your L and move along.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Cause you cap situation is atrocious.
It really isn't. But get back to us when the Wings need to package picks in order to dump someone to clear up cap space, something teams with atrocious cap situations need to do and the Wings have never.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah because Holland overpaying/over-terming vets is soooooooooooooo unprecedented right
Like when he signed Daley to a 5x6 contract. Or Green to either of his massive deals. Maybe it was the Vanek signings, so much term and money.

He's not the GM anymore get over it.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad