Confirmed Trade: [DET/SJS] Nyquist [30% Retained] for 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Massive W for the Sharks here.

Surprised no one else could beat that. Bruins were low balling the Red Wings then

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Sharks going all in cause their window is closing fast. Great team right now tho.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
How can they trade a 2019 second???

San Jose's own 2019 2nd will go to Buffalo if San Jose misses the 2019 playoffs again, unlikely, but technically still possible, and San Jose is supposed to respect that condition...

And on top of that, Ottawa will get the higher of San Jose or Florida's 2019 2nds (which, until Florida mathematically cannot surpass San Jose, San Jose is supposed to, again, keep the picks available).
(Ottawa agreed to their conditional deal knowing it was potentially tied up in the Buffalo deal and they may be limited to just Florida's pick as the option.)

There has to be an additional condition on that, bc technically, San Jose still could end up with no 2nd to give Detroit...

I think I am going insane from this deadline :laugh:

It's 1st, not 2nds.

*If Sharks don't make the playoffs in 2019, then Sharks have the option to retain the 2019 1st and Buffalo receives a 2020 first round pick instead.

Source (Scroll down a bit to Kane trade)
2019 NHL Entry Draft - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Wow good trade for San Jose, hopefully Nyquist goes on one of his hot streaks during the playoffs. He can almost carry a whole team when he's hot. Plus this is the best talent he's ever had on his team. I would be surprised if he doesn't put up almost a ppg

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Doug Wilson has jedi mind powers. That's the only logical explanation for how he keeps doing this sort of thing.

You'd think by now other GMs would stop answering the phone when his name comes up. That is unless his caller ID reads "Willy's Pizza and Wings."

Careful, don't want you hurt your arm patting your back too hard. It's a good deal, but not earth-shattering... and certainly not 'fleecing'.

Nyquist was probably sent there talk up Detroit to Erik Karlsson and make him want to sign with Detroit.

Reactions: Hockeyfan2390

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Not sure why DET is still trying to pick up 2nds.

Don't need any more middle 6 forwards or bottom 4 defenders.

Maybe Kenny throws a curve ball and trades up!
Or perhaps we use them in a package deal for a prospect.

We probably use them for more kicks at the can though.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
It is about the same. Dallas has very low chance of making it to the 3rd round, which means great chance the one pick is a 2nd, and no guarantee Zucc is resigned by Dallas, especially now that he may be out a month, which could hurt Dallas's chances. More than likely it ends up as a 2nd and a 3rd, and we get a 2nd for Nyquist, and a chance at a 3rd.

The end results of the trade likely end up being the same but the conditions are at least a higher payout for Zucc

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Not sure why DET is still trying to pick up 2nds.

Don't need any more middle 6 forwards or bottom 4 defenders.

Hopefully it’s used to trade up or imo should be used to get some solid cost controlled mid 20’s players who are on the outs due to cap restrictions

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Damn I thought Nyquist would have gotten more, but I'm not going to complain too much about this one

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Careful, don't want you hurt your arm patting your back too hard. It's a good deal, but not earth-shattering... and certainly not 'fleecing'.

Nyquist was probably sent there talk up Detroit to Erik Karlsson and make him want to sign with Detroit.

Well, it's a good thing I never actually used the word "fleecing" or anything of the sort.

Also it was just a joke.

Reactions: Kegsey

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Massive W for the Sharks here.

Surprised no one else could beat that. Bruins were low balling the Red Wings then

Is it possible that Nyquist didn't want to come to Boston? I haven't been following up until now.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The end results of the trade likely end up being the same but the conditions are at least a higher payout for Zucc

Yeah, I agree, but that is the price you pay for waiting, as we probably could have gotten a touch more condition wise, if Nyquist was traded before Zucc.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
From what I can tell, the Kane trade became a 1st rounder in 2019 or 2020 (if they miss, which they won't) once Kane re-signed. If he hadn't, then it would have been their 2nd in 2019.
That's the only interpretation that makes sense.

I keep reading it as "a first if they re-sign Kane and make the 2019 playoffs; 2nd no matter if they miss"

I think you're right. I was trying to figure out the damn O'Reilly/Kane/Karlsson conditions in the wake of the Montour trade (Buffalo could send Anaheim STL 2019, STL 2020, SJS 2019, or SJS 2020, depending on a number of conditions) for Wikipedia, right when this trade broke, and it, trying to study these new conditions frankly broke me! :laugh:

That said.
If SJS owned their own 2nd, because of the Kane re-signing, then this Detroit pick still must conditional on what San Jose sends to Ottawa. It's 99% likely Florida finishes below SJS and there is no problem, but that technically has to be written in; if Ottawa is set to get the "higher of SJS or FLA's 2nds" then Detroit must get the "lower of SJS or FLA's 2nds"...

eesh.

Anyway, good deal for San Jose.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
The news coming out on both Jensen and Nyquist's contract requests and the Wings not being willing to meet them has had me sort of fascinated. Neither guys request was really unreasonable and you certainly feel like there was room to negotiate there. But they are going to have a ton of cap space, should the lottery smile on them, I think they are getting ready to get aggressive in free agency.

We hoped for more, but just as important when we evaluate things is we are flipping the page and freeing up spots for other guys to assume bigger roles. It is a part of the rebuilding process, they were moving on from Nyquist they got what they could, I wish it could have been better, but hey that appears to be the market this year unfortunately.

I think this is the most fascinating thing. You are right those contract demands weren’t crazy at all, yet they said no. To me it signals that they are going big game hunting this summer

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Hopefully it’s used to trade up or imo should be used to get some solid cost controlled mid 20’s players who are on the outs due to cap restrictions
Uh trading up with later picks doesn't jump you up the trade board. If anything it's a few spots

Moving up anything more that 5 spots is a Kings ransom in the first round

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

What's up with this idea in hockey that people from the same country have like this secret club?

There's nearly 10 million people in Sweden. They might not know each other from Johan.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
For all the Wing's fans who are disappointed: Sharks are in position to go on a deep run. Anything less than an appearance in the Cup would be a complete failure this season. I'm pretty confident that the condition could be met, which will set the Wings up to be loaded for meaningful picks the next two drafts. Also, importantly, now the Wings will have valuable assets if they want to swing a big trade should one come up. This isn't an amazing highway robbery like the Tatar deal, but Tatar wasn't a rental and the market was different last season.

For Sharks fans: Enjoy the Goose! He's a really solid player (and person) who has been playing excellently for us all season. Hopefully he shows up this post-season and contributes to a long run :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad