Confirmed Trade: [DET/SJS] Nyquist [30% Retained] for 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Pretty disappointed as a Wings fan. The full NTC probably weighs into the value here. Glad in general that Holland is selling and gathering picks but it's just simply not enough coming back IMO. Maybe I'm biased but it seems like a lot of neutral fans in here think the same thing.

Anyway gotta apologize to Rangers fans for poopooing the Zuccarello trade. Their return was better than this.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
How can they trade a 2019 second???

San Jose's own 2019 2nd will go to Buffalo if San Jose misses the 2019 playoffs again, unlikely, but technically still possible, and San Jose is supposed to respect that condition...

And on top of that, Ottawa will get the higher of San Jose or Florida's 2019 2nds (which, until Florida mathematically cannot surpass San Jose, San Jose is supposed to, again, keep the picks available).
(Ottawa agreed to their conditional deal knowing it was potentially tied up in the Buffalo deal and they may be limited to just Florida's pick as the option.)

There has to be an additional condition on that, bc technically, San Jose still could end up with no 2nd to give Detroit...

I think I am going insane from this deadline :laugh:

No, their 2019 2nd would have gone to Buffalo if they didn’t sign Kane. It’s their 2020 1st that Buffalo gets if they miss the playoffs.

Reactions: uncleben

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

San Jose's own 2019 2nd will go to Buffalo if San Jose misses the 2019 playoffs again, unlikely, but technically still possible, and San Jose is supposed to respect that condition...

And on top of that, Ottawa will get the higher of San Jose or Florida's 2019 2nds (which, until Florida mathematically cannot surpass San Jose, San Jose is supposed to, again, keep the picks available).
(Ottawa agreed to their conditional deal knowing it was potentially tied up in the Buffalo deal and they may be limited to just Florida's pick as the option.)

There has to be an additional condition on that, bc technically, San Jose still could end up with no 2nd to give Detroit...

They own Florida's. Hopefully it's that one.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

From what I can tell, the Kane trade pick became a 1st rounder in 2019 or 2020 (if they miss the playoffs, which they won't) once Kane re-signed. If he hadn't re-signed, then it would have been their 2nd in 2019.

Last edited:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Lol 30% retention and still didn't get a first?

Sure to ruffle some red wing fan feathers who felt he was justifiably worth a 1st on his own merit

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Great move for San Jose

Now we see who goes after the big fish.... Winnipeg/Calgary/Boston, all eyes on you and Mark Stone boys.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY

Good noticing that! As a Sabres fan I forgot the Kane trade past the 1st rounder in 2019.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Very very solid move by the Sharks....they are now likely the team to beat in the West...I mean they were likely before this trade but this is a great pick up....though it depends now what Winnipeg and Calgary may do?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
i mean yeah if you tweet out a destination for every upcoming ufa on a non playff team im sure youll get one right
Not only that, but I'm sure he does have some info, and whoever is giving it to him is likely saying "don't go and tweet this out" and the douche does exactly that.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pretty disappointed as a Wings fan. The full NTC probably weighs into the value here. Glad in general that Holland is selling and gathering picks but it's just simply not enough coming back IMO. Maybe I'm biased but it seems like a lot of neutral fans in here think the same thing.

Anyway gotta apologize to Rangers fans for poopooing the Zuccarello trade. Their return was better than this.

It is about the same. Dallas has very low chance of making it to the 3rd round, which means great chance the one pick is a 2nd, and no guarantee Zucc is resigned by Dallas, especially now that he may be out a month, which could hurt Dallas's chances. More than likely it ends up as a 2nd and a 3rd, and we get a 2nd for Nyquist, and a chance at a 3rd.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not sure why DET is still trying to pick up 2nds.

Don't need any more middle 6 forwards or bottom 4 defenders.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Didn't get any more than Zuccarello did. Rangers fans collectively move one centimeter back from the lip of the ledge.

Not to mention the 2nd is likely to be 5-10 spots better considering Dallas was a bubble team before the injury. Gorton did well to make the move before all the other wingers started moving

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What an excellent deal for the Sharks makes for some interesting reading regarding what Wings fam had hoped to get for him.

The news coming out on both Jensen and Nyquist's contract requests and the Wings not being willing to meet them has had me sort of fascinated. Neither guys request was really unreasonable and you certainly feel like there was room to negotiate there. But they are going to have a ton of cap space, should the lottery smile on them, I think they are getting ready to get aggressive in free agency.

We hoped for more, but just as important when we evaluate things is we are flipping the page and freeing up spots for other guys to assume bigger roles. It is a part of the rebuilding process, they were moving on from Nyquist they got what they could, I wish it could have been better, but hey that appears to be the market this year unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad