Confirmed Trade: [DET/SJS] Nyquist [30% Retained] for 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
“It helped that Nyquist, who had a no-trade clause, wanted to come to the Sharks. According to a source, Nyquist turned down a trade to the Winnipeg Jets before agreeing to make his way to San Jose. He’s friends with Karlsson, too, so that likely helped sway him.”

Sharing is caring.

Holland's statements were all in press conferences and radio interviews so I'm having a little trouble finding anything quickly, but here's this

During Ken Holland‘s media session he spoke about the recent trades and let us in a little bit behind the scenes. He talked about how Gustav Nyquist‘s no-trade clause didn’t impede the Detroit Red Wings from getting the deal they wanted. Holland mentioned Gus only had one team that he wouldn’t waive his NTC to join. Although he wouldn’t expand on the comment, it let us all speculate that it was indeed the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Seems pretty weird to randomly choose Winnipeg to be the one team you don't want to go to over say, Ottawa.
I'll also say that all reports lead to Holland asking for a list of teams 10 days ago. So that 1 team list was established before any trade could be negotiated in order for it to be "nixed".

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The Athletic article by Kevin Kurz states a source told him Nyquist nixed a trade to Winnipeg.

Maybe this is why Winnipeg was relocated in the first place despite having a rabid fanbase. Its crazy how few above-average guys they've been able to attract or retain who weren't already settled into the organization to begin with.

Holland's statements were all in press conferences and radio interviews so I'm having a little trouble finding anything quickly, but here's this

Seems pretty weird to randomly choose Winnipeg to be the one team you don't want to go to over say, Ottawa.
I'll also say that all reports lead to Holland asking for a list of teams 10 days ago. So that 1 team list was established before any trade could be negotiated in order for it to be "nixed".

If you're considering that the team trading for you as a rental may also be the team who is willing to pony up the best contract offer to keep you (since they've already invested in you), well, you may not want Winnipeg to make you an offer you can't refuse. For whatever reason (I'd guess its size/isolation first and foremost), Winnipeg is not a well-liked town by those with options.

Also, Nyquist isn't even going to think about Ottawa. They've been dead last or close to it and looking to shed salary for months now. He's not a moron - he knows they wouldn't be interested in a rental like him.

Nyquist saying "I don't want to go to Ottawa"
and "No Trade Clauses did not effect any trades"
are not mutually exclusive

He also said it didn't impede them from "getting the deal they wanted." If Winnipeg offered the same thing as SJ (or less), then Nyquist could've nixed the deal to Winnipeg without it affecting them getting the deal they wanted (given the market).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nyquist saying "I don't want to go to Ottawa"
and "No Trade Clauses did not effect any trades"
are not mutually exclusive

They question is about offer which were made. Ottawa for 100% sure didn't have an offer for Nyquist.

It's now rumored that San Jose, Boston and Winnipeg called for him. Maybe some other contenders. Boston offer was probably same as for Johansson (2nd + 4th), and they were probably happy with either player, so there was no reason to raise the offer for Nyquist, if they could get Johansson with 2nd+4th as they finally did after Nyquist was moved. Then Nyquist denied going to Jets with NTC, so Holland agreed with SJS for the highest bid (2nd+3rd+conditional).

Pretty simple story. That's how the decision making goes.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
They question is about offer which were made. Ottawa for 100% sure didn't have an offer for Nyquist.

It's now rumored that San Jose, Boston and Winnipeg called for him. Maybe some other contenders. Boston offer was probably same as for Johansson (2nd + 4th), and they were probably happy with either player, so there was no reason to raise the offer for Nyquist, if they could get Johansson with 2nd+4th as they finally did after Nyquist was moved. Then Nyquist denied going to Jets with NTC, so Holland agreed with SJS for the highest bid (2nd+3rd+conditional).

Pretty simple story. That's how the decision making goes.
Yeah, it doesn't seem that hard to have whipped up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad