Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Robby Fabbri signs extension (2 years, $2.95M AAV)

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Many teams will have internal caps according to the insiders. The cap hit is kinda irrelevant now. In real money. All those contracts are front loaded. So the actual trade value goes up because paying less

agreed though. It is straying off topic.

Fabri for 2.95 x 2 is pretty comparable to kappy at 3.2 x 3 and lindbolm at 3 x3.

it’s a reasonable deal. 39 game soup is not a comp to Fabri

Ya, I made a ninja edit. Realistically, of the teams that have cap space, I only see Ottawa making a big deal of real money.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ya, I made a ninja edit. Realistically, of the teams that have cap space, I only see Ottawa making a big deal of real money.

See it’s tough. I agree with you in principle. But johnson and Friedman etc keep going on about internal salary caps.

Pitt and buffalo are rumoured to be at 70 million caps...... there is even supposedly termination clauses in the new CBA and potential for pandemic language....,.

people are talking about walking away from RFA but 30’year old scandella gets 3.25?

it will be fascinating to See how it goes. I really don’t know.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I didn't expect him for much less than this, he was their 4th/5th best forward most of the year.

I am curious to see how the center experiment goes with him next year. It is really down to health problems for whether or not he outperforms this deal in my opinion.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Happy to see Fabbri get a nice deal! I wish we still had him in St. Louis, but Detroit definitely is better opportunity to be in the lineup consistently!

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Bad news for any teams with RFAs this off-season IMO. Good contract for Fabbri and the Wings have cap space, but only 2 years at that price is kinda underwhelming.

I like the shorter term as he is relatively unproven at this point. May be a touch high, but nothing outrageous.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am a little confused here. Some of you are calling this a bridge deal, but CapFriendly says he is a UFA when it expires. Robby Fabbri - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
That seems wrong that they have him listed as a free agent. He was drafted in 2014 and returned to the Onafter his draft year. Played as a 19 year old and again the next season. Year 3 of elc is in question because he got in under 40 games with the blues but only 3 in the A so if he was injured in the NHL then he would accrue year 3 because he was on the roster for at least half the season.

last year would be year 4.

so a 2 year deal would only get him 6 accrued seasons and as a 2014 pick without a late birthday he would be 26 only when it expires.
So should not be a ufa.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yet another reason to love Yzerman, one of, if not the smartest GM in the NHL. Chessmaster.
No it just reinforces what rfas are going to get and how tight t it’s going to be for teams.

some people forget what happened in the prior off season to the non elite rfa. All too wrapped up with the Marner, Point, Tkachuk, Connor, etc names.

Leafs extended Kapanen coming off 44 points in 78 games at $3.2 mill per for 3 years.

JT comtpher got $3.5 mill per over 4 years coming off 0.5 ppg last summer.

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
No it just reinforces what rfas are going to get and how tight t it’s going to be for teams.

some people forget what happened in the prior off season to the non elite rfa. All too wrapped up with the Marner, Point, Tkachuk, Connor, etc names.

Leafs extended Kapanen coming off 44 points in 78 games at $3.2 mill per for 3 years.

JT comtpher got $3.5 mill per over 4 years coming off 0.5 ppg last summer.

Did you ever think this is exactly what Yzerman wanted/planned? He knows with a flat cap teams won't be able to afford some really good players, so why not sign a RFA to a higher than expected deal when you have the cap space to do it. He honestly just made some RFA's in this league available for trade, and DET is one of those teams who can afford those players.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Did you ever think this is exactly what Yzerman wanted/planned? He knows with a flat cap teams won't be able to afford some really good players, so why not sign a RFA to a higher than expected deal when you have the cap space to do it. He honestly just made some RFA's in this league available for trade, and DET is one of those teams who can afford those players.
It’s not resetting the bar or anything. $2.95 mill for 2 years isn’t that much off what the Leafs gave their guys or what Colorado gave theirs. If he had given Fabbri $3.5 mill per that would have reset the market for the mid tier rfa.
Even on the Canucks board we’ve been discussing that Virtanen with his 18 goals would command around $3 mill in arbitration. This just reinforces that as it’s another comparable to use.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I always wonder how deals like this happen.

"My client will accept $3M a year for two years"

"Not a chance, we're not even in the same ballpark. Best we can do is $2.95M."

RF: I'm looking for $3M

SY: Sorry kid, best I can do is $2M

RF: Okay... but Jagr was my favourite player growing up...

SY: well, $2.68M is manageable

RF: Yup, Jagr and Kovalev. Loved them.

SY: Okay, so $2.95M it is then

RF: You drive a hard bargain, but I'll take it

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
No question. Detroit's in great shape cap wise. Kind of sets a bad precedent for future RFAs though. Fabbri didn't do much to earn a decent payday.

Fabbri played fine, not sure where you draw that conclusion from. He played for historically one of the worst offensive teams in NHL history.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That seems wrong that they have him listed as a free agent. He was drafted in 2014 and returned to the Onafter his draft year. Played as a 19 year old and again the next season. Year 3 of elc is in question because he got in under 40 games with the blues but only 3 in the A so if he was injured in the NHL then he would accrue year 3 because he was on the roster for at least half the season.

so a 2 year deal would only get him 6 accrued seasons and as a 2014 pick without a late birthday he would be 26 only when it expires.
So should not be a ufa.

His injured season (2018-2019) still count:
NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
What is an unrestricted free agent (UFA)?

A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. Any player who meets the following requirements becomes an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
  1. Is 27 years of age on June 30 of the contract expiry year
  2. Has seven (7) Accrued Seasons where an Accrued Season is earned when the player was on the clubs active roster for 40 Regular Season games (30 if the player is a goaltender). Games missed due to a hockey related injury will count towards an accrued season in the season of the injury, plus one additional season after the injury.
  3. Meets the requirements for Group 6 UFA Status (See below)

He will be UFA at the end of his deal.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Blues fan here. Good for Robby and I hope he has a career resurgence in Detroit. I was pretty vocal on the Blues board about how they mismanaged his return from injury and was happy to see him get regular play time with the Wings. Was not at all surprised to see him have success there.

Nothing but the best to Kid Fabs. Go get em.

Reactions: stl76 and mantha39

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm struggling to see how Detroit has broken the market here? Just using CapFriendly's comparable contracts function, the top 3 names are

Joel Armia, 2 years, 3.19% $2.60M. Coming off a season of 23 points in 57 games.
Alex Iafallo, 2 years, 2.98% $2.43M. Coming off a season of 33 points in 82 games.
Scott Laughton, 2 years, 2.82% $2.30M. Coming off a season of 32 points in 82 games.

Fabbri at 3.62% coming off a season at 31 points in 52 games for the Wings. I mean, the best performer from above scored 2 more points in 30 more games during his contract year. Healthy Robby Fabbri has proven to be a better player. Yeah, there is 100% justification in the $ that Fabbri just received. And even if this inflates RFA contracts across the league...good. Screw the other teams; I hope their cap structure forces them to make hard decisions.

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009

So should not be a ufa.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Very happy for Fabbri. He was in danger of having his career go off the rails due to the knee injury. Now he has enough guaranteed money that even if he can’t get back to his original projections, he can be set for life if he wants to manage things that way. Being an UFA at the end of this works for both parties.

Reactions: stl76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad