Confirmed Trade: [DET/PHI] Petr Mrazek (50% retained) for 2018 cndl 4th round pick and 2019 cndl 3rd round pick

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Mrazek turned in the best performance by a Flyers goalie all season tonight.

65 minute, 28 save shut-out followed by stopping 5/6 in the Shootout

Some of those 28 saves were of the 10 bell variety.

This guy is LEGIT when hes on.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Glad he’s looked well, as hopefully you guys do re-sign him and we get another pick. But it’s been 3 games, all against the bottom 8 scoring teams. Dude faces some tough offenses the next two weeks: Tampa, Pitt, Boston, Winnipeg, Vegas. Will be interesting to see how he does then.

This is fair. He was great tonight but had some shaky moments in his 2nd start (5-3 win over Ottawa on Sunday) and has some HUGE tests coming up.

Its pretty clear hes a legit goalie though and any drops in play are likely of the mental variety. He has all the tools.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Tonight, we saw something we haven't in a long time: a Flyers goalie who didn't look like a Shooter Tutor in the SO. I liked Mrazek's aggressiveness in forcing Canadiens shooters into changing their minds. That being said, I'm tempering my expectations. We will see what this team does against top teams in the league pretty much through March.

To the Wings fans here, we know what you mean about fickle analyses of trades. Check out any commentary on the Brayden Schenn trade to the Blues.

Reactions: Rebels57

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Tonight, we saw something we haven't in a long time: a Flyers goalie who didn't look like a Shooter Tutor in the SO. I liked Mrazek's aggressiveness in forcing Canadiens shooters into changing their minds. That being said, I'm tempering my expectations. We will see what this team does against top teams in the league pretty much through March.

To the Wings fans here, we know what you mean about fickle analyses of trades. Check out any commentary on the Brayden Schenn trade to the Blues.
That little pokecheck in the shootout was slick i thought ,He can wow you.He can make you chuck stuff at the tv too, just not as often.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Tripod

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
So far he is playing lights out and if he keeps us in games I agree. We have a rough patch of games coming and you just have to love his attitude.

LOL, well hey, if you listen to Ken Holland his attitude sucked! Yet another reason why he got sold for peanuts...

Mrazek gonna make fools out of Detroit for doing this.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Mrazek is an athletic goalie Who when on his game is a legit vezina level goalie.

Technically he still has a ton of work to do but in the right environent and coaching could shore that up a bit.

He just turned 26 therefore is young for a goalie in the NHL.

The wings simply gave up on him

I hope it comes back to haunt the red wings

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I knew the Wings would regret this trade the second it happened. Mrazek's issues were all mental + terrible defense in Detroit. He has all the tools and skill to be a top goalie in this league. I'm sure he'll find his way in Philly, wish him nothing but luck.

Goalies just need a change of scenery sometimes. Look at Mason who also cost the Flyers a 3rd:

Last four seasons in CBJ - 171 games, .899

Four seasons as the starter in Philly - 224 games, 9.17

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Goalies just need a change of scenery sometimes. Look at Mason who also cost the Flyers a 3rd:

Last four seasons in CBJ - 171 games, .899

Four seasons as the starter in Philly - 224 games, 9.17

The Red Wings never fully committed to Mrazek, never gave him the chance to really run with the starting job. He's always had Howard looking over his shoulder, and stepping in and taking away starts (sometimes for long periods of time) after he had a bad game. No doubt imo that had an effect on his confidence and ability to get "on a roll". They flat out butchered the last two years of Mrazek's time in Detroit.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
There where a hand full of us Wings fans knew this was the wrong move! You had a a lot of fans who just want Kenny's kids in their mouths and no matter the shit moves he makes love him.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The Red Wings never fully committed to Mrazek, never gave him the chance to really run with the starting job. He's always had Howard looking over his shoulder, and stepping in and taking away starts (sometimes for long periods of time) after he had a bad game. No doubt imo that had an effect on his confidence and ability to get "on a roll". They flat out butchered the last two years of Mrazek's time in Detroit.

Holy revisionism... Did you only start paying attention at the beginning of this season? Your whole post is a steaming pile of bullshit.

Mrazek was the starter for the end of 14-15 and those playoffs, and then started the next year as #1A, while Howard was #1B. Howard NEVER got consecutive starts from the beginning of that season to when he got pulled a couple times December and they decided to ride Mrazek. In that same time period Mrazek got at least 2 consecutive starts on three occasions.

Mrazek pretty much made Howard an afterthought between the end of December 2015 and mid February 2016. Then he started dumping the bed hard around 2/15/16. Never the less, they still rode him into March until he dropped the ball so hard they went back to Howard to end the year. Then it only took less than 2 games for them to put Petr back in as #1 for the rest of the playoffs.

Mrazek then got his big raise and started 16-17 as the #1. In November Mrazek went back to playing like he did to end 15-16, so Howard started to get the edge, but it was still more of a #1A/#1B type deal. Howard then missed 38 games in the span of 3 months, giving Mrazek no one but a guy with NO NHL EXPERIENCE to "look over his shoulder" and Petr STILL couldn't hang onto the starting job. Even when Howard returned from injury, they alternated starts for the rest of the year with neither getting consecutive starts.

It wasn't until this current season that Mrazek "didn't get a chance", and that came after a disaster of a WC appearance, and a lackluster pre-season. His starts from October to December didn't exactly do much to put any faith in him either.

Maybe if Petr wasn't a petulant child and focused on improving his game instead of being worried about big bad Jimmy taking his job, he would've done a better job in the MULTIPLE opportunities he had to lock down the #1 job.

LOL "Red Wings never fully committed to Mrazek".... THEY LET GO OF A 20 YEAR TENURED GOALIE COACH TO BRING UP THE ONE FROM GR THAT PETR WAS COMFORTABLE WITH TO HELP HIM IMPROVE HIS DISASTROUS END TO 15-16.

If you want to cast stones over how they used him in 17-18, fine... but saying they "butchered" his "last two years" is a complete fabrication.

I broke down the starts per month for Mrazek vs Howard vs Coreau with SV% from Jan 2016 to the when the trade happened in the trade thread on the RW board. If you're still confused about all the times Mrazek had opportunities to lock down the #1 job, I'll be happy to post it in here too.

Holy moly what a dumb post...

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
There where a hand full of us Wings fans knew this was the wrong move! You had a a lot of fans who just want Kenny's kids in their mouths and no matter the **** moves he makes love him.

Couldn't we say the same about you and wanting to taste Petr's kids? I mean you must've had some ulterior motives with all that violin playing and apologizing you did for him...

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Holy revisionism... Did you only start paying attention at the beginning of this season? Your whole post is a steaming pile of bull****.

Mrazek was the starter for the end of 14-15 and those playoffs, and then started the next year as #1A, while Howard was #1B. Howard NEVER got consecutive starts from the beginning of that season to when he got pulled a couple times December and they decided to ride Mrazek. In that same time period Mrazek got at least 2 consecutive starts on three occasions.

Mrazek pretty much made Howard an afterthought between the end of December 2015 and mid February 2016. Then he started dumping the bed hard around 2/15/16. Never the less, they still rode him into March until he dropped the ball so hard they went back to Howard to end the year. Then it only took less than 2 games for them to put Petr back in as #1 for the rest of the playoffs.

Mrazek then got his big raise and started 16-17 as the #1. In November Mrazek went back to playing like he did to end 15-16, so Howard started to get the edge, but it was still more of a #1A/#1B type deal. Howard then missed 38 games in the span of 3 months, giving Mrazek no one but a guy with NO NHL EXPERIENCE to "look over his shoulder" and Petr STILL couldn't hang onto the starting job. Even when Howard returned from injury, they alternated starts for the rest of the year with neither getting consecutive starts.

It wasn't until this current season that Mrazek "didn't get a chance", and that came after a disaster of a WC appearance, and a lackluster pre-season. His starts from October to December didn't exactly do much to put any faith in him either.

Maybe if Petr wasn't a petulant child and focused on improving his game instead of being worried about big bad Jimmy taking his job, he would've done a better job in the MULTIPLE opportunities he had to lock down the #1 job.

LOL "Red Wings never fully committed to Mrazek".... THEY LET GO OF A 20 YEAR TENURED GOALIE COACH TO BRING UP THE ONE FROM GR THAT PETR WAS COMFORTABLE WITH TO HELP HIM IMPROVE HIS DISASTROUS END TO 15-16.

If you want to cast stones over how they used him in 17-18, fine... but saying they "butchered" his "last two years" is a complete fabrication.

I broke down the starts per month for Mrazek vs Howard vs Coreau with SV% from Jan 2016 to the when the trade happened in the trade thread on the RW board. If you're still confused about all the times Mrazek had opportunities to lock down the #1 job, I'll be happy to post it in here too.

Holy moly what a dumb post...

Talk about bullshit.
"Petulant child?"

What a load of shit.

It's funny that people criticize Mrazek for being a headcase.

That's always been Howard's problem -I'd say until the last 2 years.
He can't close out a series. He gets all Steve Sax in the shootout and lets it take him right out of his game.

At the end of the day there are two kinds of goalies.
The goalies who face pressure and get better.
The goalies who burn in the face of pressure.

We don't know what Mrazek is.

We know what Howard is. A run of the mill starter who never shout have got that long deal from Holland.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Talk about bull****.
"Petulant child?"

What a load of ****.

He can't close out a series. He gets all Steve Sax in the shootout and lets it take him right out of his game.

We know what Howard is. A run of the mill starter who never shout have got that long deal from Holland.

We also know Howard is probably gone in a year too, so what's the point?

Again, more than enough evidence out that points to Petr being difficult to deal with off the ice. But you don't want to shut NHL18 off long enough to hear it.

How long was it going to take to find out what was/is? He had 166 NHL games under his belt and was one season away from potentially becoming a UFA. Other goalies from his draft alone have come close to starting and have been waived and sent back to the AHL in half as many games. We wait till he's 30? Sign him long term so you can whine about his bad contract and NTC in a couple years like you do about every other Red Wing over 27YO?

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Couldn't we say the same about you and wanting to taste Petr's kids? I mean you must've had some ulterior motives with all that violin playing and apologizing you did for him...
See LOVES the shit team he built backs his every move. Can't question Kenny at all!! If you do must not be a Wings fan bla bla bla. Funny ever think the kids just screwed Kenny over? The kid called him out and Kenny did not like hung him out to dry. The kid said f*** it why try for him and the lack of a team. Went to a okay team not even a good team and is working out just fine.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I'm assuming the Flyers are going to qualify him as a RFA after this season if he continues his good play?

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Talk about bull****.
"Petulant child?"

What a load of ****.

He has won at every level of play up to Kenny's bum NHL team. So I would say we have a very good view of how he handles pressure.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
See LOVES the **** team he built backs his every move. Can't question Kenny at all!! If you do must not be a Wings fan bla bla bla. Funny ever think the kids just screwed Kenny over? The kid called him out and Kenny did not like hung him out to dry. The kid said **** it why try for him and the lack of a team. Went to a okay team not even a good team and is working out just fine.

LOL. This is completely false. Please source Petr "calling out" Kenny. I'll wait... Probably the stupidest Petr conspiracy theory made on here. LMAO

Might be time to take the tinfoil hat off and just stick to NHL18....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad