Proposal: DET - MIN

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
And Menell is still losing the battle vs. Brad Hunt for the roster spot. Guy is not 18. y. o. and may not become a NHL player at all, however a trade to Detroit could make it a bit easier for him. While Minnesota gets a bottom six forward, who at worst, could be a depth 13th or 14th forward to bring some stability for the decisive moments of the push for play-offs.
Guerin has made it clear he will not sacrifice future assets for rentals, as recently as last week. Helm is not a player that will help us in the future, so I don't believe Guerin would be willing to give up anything of value for him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A more realistic return for Menell would be Veleno, at the very least.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Is Hidek even a red wings fan? I thought this was a Minnesota fan post, never seen him on the wings board.

P.S. we would give you Helm for a 4th round pick.... heck probably even less.

He still works hard. But I imagine all NHL'ers work hard, it would be surprising if anyone even called us to ask about Helm to be honest.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Is Hidek even a red wings fan? I thought this was a Minnesota fan post, never seen him on the wings board.

P.S. we would give you Helm for a 4th round pick.... heck probably even less.

He still works hard. But I imagine all NHL'ers work hard, it would be surprising if anyone even called us to ask about Helm to be honest.

I'd think about it if you sent a 4th with him, but probably end up saying no.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Yet you are still interested...funny... a 22yo RHD who has excelled as a point getter both in the AHL(first in PPG among Dmen who played a full season-basically tied with Jake Bean), and this year in the KHL where he led all Dmen in PPG.

And you want to trade us a 34yo wing who has 3 points this year, and has an expiring contract at close to 4M.

Why in the world would MN, or any team, want to do this? Do you really think that MN's problem is that they don't have overpaid, low scoring, 4th line/bench players?
He’s 23, almost 24 (2 months) and I agree with you as Helm is a bottom six forward that’s grossly overpaid. I don’t see why Minnesota would do it.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I won't claim I've watched any Red Wings games lately, but he also appears to be bad and old. And Minnesota's already got a lot of wingers.

And Menell's not untouchable or anything, but he and Addison are in line to step into some likely vacancies on our blueline. I don't think he'd be traded for a rental.

Helm's a solid forechecker with good speed and PK ability.
I don't know what Menell's worth, so I don't know if Helm's worth it.
If you're looking for a 3/4 line winger who can play center in a pinch, Helm can help.
He won a cup way back when, too.

Wings screwed the pooch when Babcock converted from center to wing.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You are misinformed. Menell decided to go to the KHL when he realized that the AHL wasn't going to have a full season, and that the NHL was going to be a very late start. Guerin was actually not happy, as he wanted him to compete for a job at camp, but understood, as he couldn't promise him a NHL starters job before he even went to camp (in January, as it turned out). Menell thought it would be better for his career to get in a full season playing in the KHL rather than leave his fate in the hands of an uncertain AHL/NHL year.

He will certainly get a chance to win a RHD spot next year, as will Addison. If the Seattle ED/TDL lays waste to the team defense, then there will be spots open for both.

Helm is a completely irrelevant to the Wild's team needs at this point. Even with max retention he has negative value. DRW would need to include an asset to move him, or take another negative asset back in trade. Menell does not have negative value.

Helm at the deadline with retention does not have 'negative value'

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yet the OP proposed a trade for Menell, even though he states all these shortcomings. Weird...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I want more than a non NHL defender for Helm. If we can't get a 3rd for him, I don't do any trade.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I won't claim I've watched any Red Wings games lately, but he also appears to be bad and old. And Minnesota's already got a lot of wingers.

And Menell's not untouchable or anything, but he and Addison are in line to step into some likely vacancies on our blueline. I don't think he'd be traded for a rental.

Bad take on Helm. He is consistently one of our hardest working players even when we are getting our butts whooped. He is great team guy and I think a lot of good teams would love him in the bottom 6.
He can't score to save himself, but he constantly is breaking up other teams offence and getting breakaways which while they don't provide us much, if any offence, at least get the puck off the other teams possession.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Bad take on Helm. He is consistently one of our hardest working players even when we are getting our butts whooped. He is great team guy and I think a lot of good teams would love him in the bottom 6.
He can't score to save himself, but he constantly is breaking up other teams offence and getting breakaways which while they don't provide us much, if any offence, at least get the puck off the other teams possession.

Wild don't need or want Darren helm. At all . Wild have so much wingers, younger better wingers playing on 4th line because wild have like a zillion wingers.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
How is this trolling? My gosh!!

3rd round pick for one of the worst players in NFL. A dude whose not even playing good on a trash Detroit team.

Don't know why Detroit fan started this proposal thinking wild would trade menell, or that wild need a winger; wild don't much less a crappy player who wouldn't be playing

Good luck with that

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
At the very least? Wtf?

Maybe stated a little wrong, but Veleno doesn’t look like anything too special, and Menell has checked every box that we’ve asked him to (and one we didn’t). Something like that might get the conversation going, but definitely not Helm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad