Proposal: DET - MIN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
82 games of playoff experience. Fast. Determined.
I won't claim I've watched any Red Wings games lately, but he also appears to be bad and old. And Minnesota's already got a lot of wingers.

And Menell's not untouchable or anything, but he and Addison are in line to step into some likely vacancies on our blueline. I don't think he'd be traded for a rental.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I won't claim I've watched any Red Wings games lately, but he also appears to be bad and old. And Minnesota's already got a lot of wingers.

And Menell's not untouchable or anything, but he and Addison are in line to step into some likely vacancies on our blueline. I don't think he'd be traded for a rental.
He still has a motor and is still very tenacious. He wont bring you any offense but he can draw you penalties and be a workhorse. He is definitely not a bad player for what he does imo. Saying that, still not sure Minn does this. A pick would suffice.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Wings would likely trade Helm for nothing but future considerations. Some Wings fans still like him as a bottom 6 F but I don't see it, he's essentially useless imo. Not nearly good enough to play top 6 role. Not physical enough or hard enough to play against to be useful bottom 6 F.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, make it make sense. At least offer up a pick or a similar aged player. This isn't even remotely appealing for Minnesota.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Minnesota wild aren't trading for another winger much less older winger

Wild already have a million wingers . They don't need a bottom 6 winger they don't need / have room for

& they aren't trading menell for a winger

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Mennell still didn't crack NHL so let's not pretend that he is an elite asset...
Yet you are still interested...funny... a 22yo RHD who has excelled as a point getter both in the AHL(first in PPG among Dmen who played a full season-basically tied with Jake Bean), and this year in the KHL where he led all Dmen in PPG.

And you want to trade us a 34yo wing who has 3 points this year, and has an expiring contract at close to 4M.

Why in the world would MN, or any team, want to do this? Do you really think that MN's problem is that they don't have overpaid, low scoring, 4th line/bench players?

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Yet you are still interested...funny... a 22yo RHD who has excelled as a point getter both in the AHL(first in PPG among Dmen who played a full season-basically tied with Jake Bean), and this year in the KHL where he led all Dmen in PPG.

And you want to trade us a 34yo wing who has 3 points this year, and has an expiring contract at close to 4M.

Why in the world would MN, or any team, want to do this? Do you really think that MN's problem is that they don't have overpaid, low scoring, 4th line/bench players?

And Menell is still losing the battle vs. Brad Hunt for the roster spot. Guy is not 18. y. o. and may not become a NHL player at all, however a trade to Detroit could make it a bit easier for him. While Minnesota gets a bottom six forward, who at worst, could be a depth 13th or 14th forward to bring some stability for the decisive moments of the push for play-offs.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don’t know who Menell is but as a wings fan I don’t see any reason to say No. I think Helm is fine for what he is - declining but somewhat useful 4th liner/pk. He can still skate but isn’t as physical as he once was. He used to have the ability to be a good role player on any line - Datsyuk liked playing with him or Abdelkader - maybe he can resurrect some of that on a better team.

Reactions: BSHH

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
And Menell is still losing the battle vs. Brad Hunt for the roster spot. Guy is not 18. y. o. and may not become a NHL player at all, however a trade to Detroit could make it a bit easier for him. While Minnesota gets a bottom six forward, who at worst, could be a depth 13th or 14th forward to bring some stability for the decisive moments of the push for play-offs.
Do you honestly think Hunt is better than Menell?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You are misinformed. Menell decided to go to the KHL when he realized that the AHL wasn't going to have a full season, and that the NHL was going to be a very late start. Guerin was actually not happy, as he wanted him to compete for a job at camp, but understood, as he couldn't promise him a NHL starters job before he even went to camp (in January, as it turned out). Menell thought it would be better for his career to get in a full season playing in the KHL rather than leave his fate in the hands of an uncertain AHL/NHL year.

He will certainly get a chance to win a RHD spot next year, as will Addison. If the Seattle ED/TDL lays waste to the team defense, then there will be spots open for both.

Helm is a completely irrelevant to the Wild's team needs at this point. Even with max retention he has negative value. DRW would need to include an asset to move him, or take another negative asset back in trade. Menell does not have negative value.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad