Confirmed Buy-Out [DET] Justin Abdelkader

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I never said they were excused from the cap. You shifted the goal post to "every other team". I Moved it back to the specific team we are talking about and their specific situation.
Here you are again moving goal posts....

I don't need to ask Toronto or Tampa or the Oils, do you even understand the history of The Detroit Red Wings?
We went through cap hell already, from dynasty to dumpster fire. We signed Wiess and bought him out to sign Nielsen while Zetterberg and Franzen sait in LTIR whilst having Abby and Big E and Daley, and, and, and.....

Trying to patronize a Wings fan over salary cap numbers and what it means to a good team.... lol

I'm the one moving goalposts and patronizing. Sure.

Yeah, especially the last 3 years of a huge 1M cap hit.
How are we gonna be able to sign anyone ever again.

1) Never said they would never be able to sign anyone ever again, didn't even imply it.
2) The salary cap affects "every other team". That's its whole point. No team exists unaffected by it so comparing them is logically sound.
3) 6 years of dead money is objectively a long time. One of the longer buyouts ever actually.

Think critically about topics you're speaking on man.

But I'm the one being patronizing.

Last edited:

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Detroit's really gonna miss his PMs.
They'll need to find a replacement who gets goaded just as easily into doing dirt-stupid stuff.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It's like eating pistachios.

When you have a full bag, if you can't get one to open, f*** it I got a million of them. Losing 1 means nothing.

Then you get to the bottom of the bag and all of a sudden, you're in Hurt Locker mode cracking that thing like it's a safe in Ocean's 11 because you are running out of pistachios and the you really wish you had cared more when the bag was full.
This is a very particular metaphor. Are you craving pistachios right now?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I get his brutal but given the wings are rebuilding why not just ride out the bad deal for another year or Two? These buyouts always surprise me

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Not sure the rules for the next expansion draft, but maybe the buy out was needed to free up a Protected slot since he had a NMC/NTC clause?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Ken Holland is not a salary cap era GM.
2005-2015 disagrees. Abdelkader contract was bad but imo it's done essentially zero damage to the Wings. The hope was probably that his play would hold up better so he could be a veteran mentor through a rebuild. Didn't work out, but again the money is not an issue at all.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Contract never made sense. 7 years for a at the time 29 year old third liner physical player ? That was just never going to work out.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Contract never made sense. 7 years for a at the time 29 year old third liner physical player ? That was just never going to work out.

I remember arguing with some Red Wings fans on the day he was signed and they were saying it was an amazing contract for the team and he should be getting paid more. He would be a continuous 20G scorer... don’t get me wrong I was hoping that fantasy would become a reality, but as expected; the contract was nothing less than an albatross.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
I remember arguing with some Red Wings fans on the day he was signed and they were saying it was an amazing contract for the team and he should be getting paid more. He would be a continuous 20G scorer... don’t get me wrong I was hoping that fantasy would become a reality, but as expected; the contract was nothing less than an albatross.

I highly doubt any sane wings fan ever stated it was an amazing contract, let alone getting paid more. The general consensus was it was horrid before the ink dried.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I cant think of a single fan thinking it was a good contract...

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I liked Abdelkader in his prime but it was time to move on like 3 years ago. It just took a GM with balls to pull it off.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Detroit's really gonna miss his PMs.
They'll need to find a replacement who gets goaded just as easily into doing dirt-stupid stuff.

Hell, he was barely even interested in doing that anymore, let alone doing things that would make a positive impact on the game...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad