Confirmed Buy-Out [DET] Justin Abdelkader

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Just a hunch but I would not be surprised if Turris and MAF are red wings by the end of the day

Turris + 11th for 32nd

MAF and Krebs for 45th OA and Cholowski

MAF + 2nd has been offered to every team in the league for nothing. Nobody bit

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm with you. Dunno why people are celebrating. This is meaningless at best.

Because getting rid of arguably the worst NHLer in the league is a net positive for the Detroit Red Wings.

It's not just about cap savings. It's about fixing the team culture and showing that there is accountability. Watching him on the ice last year was flat out demoralizing, especially when every single one of our prospects deserved that roster spot over him.

Reactions: saska sault

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Said every team that has ever had plentiful cap space right up to when they don't.

We aren't talking about every team. We are talking about Detroit.

Go look up our cap for the next 6 years. Heres the short version, we have plenty of cap space.

Also, if Detroit finds them self in a position that 1M in cap is a hindrance that means we are competing again.
I will take that 1M dead cap to be good again.

Think critically about topics you're speaking on man.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Oilers fans in shambles. I would contend he isn't even worth a a vet min. Let's see if Kenny brings back ol' yeller for "grit" and "character".

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Babcock out there like:

giphy.gif

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Said every team that has ever had plentiful cap space right up to when they don't.

It's like eating pistachios.

When you have a full bag, if you can't get one to open, f*** it I got a million of them. Losing 1 means nothing.

Then you get to the bottom of the bag and all of a sudden, you're in Hurt Locker mode cracking that thing like it's a safe in Ocean's 11 because you are running out of pistachios and the you really wish you had cared more when the bag was full.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
We aren't talking about every team. We are talking about Detroit.

Go look up our cap for the next 6 years. Heres the short version, we have plenty of cap space.

Also, if Detroit finds them self in a position that 1M in cap is a hindrance that means we are competing again.
I will take that 1M dead cap to be good again.

Think critically about topics you're speaking on man.

Soo.. they're excused from the salary cap? Cap space disappears fast when a team is ready to turn competitive. Ask Toronto, or Tampa, or the Oilers. The Coyotes and the Rangers. Say they sign Krug or Pietrangelo and then another bigger name in 2021. That's a big chunk of that space gone.

I'm not even saying buying out Abdelkader is the wrong way to go. Guy is useless and completely done. Merely commenting that 6 years is a long time to have dead money on your books. Because it is, that's longer than the average NHL contract.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Soo.. they're excused from the salary cap? Cap space disappears fast when a team is ready to turn competitive. Ask Toronto, or Tampa, or the Oilers. The Coyotes and the Rangers. Say they sign Krug or Pietrangelo and then another bigger name in 2021. That's a big chunk of that space gone.

I'm not even saying buying out Abdelkader is the wrong way to go. Guy is useless and completely done. Merely commenting that 6 years is a long time to have dead money on your books. Because it is, that's longer than the average NHL contract.

I never said they were excused from the cap. You shifted the goal post to "every other team". I Moved it back to the specific team we are talking about and their specific situation.
Here you are again moving goal posts....

I don't need to ask Toronto or Tampa or the Oils, do you even understand the history of The Detroit Red Wings?
We went through cap hell already, from dynasty to dumpster fire. We signed Wiess and bought him out to sign Nielsen while Zetterberg and Franzen sait in LTIR whilst having Abby and Big E and Daley, and, and, and.....

Trying to patronize a Wings fan over salary cap numbers and what it means to a good team.... lol

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thus ends one of the worst contracts in NHL

Wing fans should be thrilled

Unfortunately your team has the only one worse entering today in Seabrook in my opinion. I get he earned it, but that thing is worse than Abdelkader's and like Abdelkader's it was bad while the ink was drying.

Abdelkader messed up his knee at the World Cup, his skating never came back. He isn't a buy-low candidate he is a guy that is just done in this league. I hope he has a nice retirement. Despite the fact his contract made him a hated guy in Detroit he was a player that played very hard for a long time and his body betrayed him. In the 90s he would have disappeared with barely a peep but this is the cap era. I hope he wasn't looking forward too much to the Grand Rapids gig, he was already told he wouldn't be in Detroit in his exit interviews.

For the record I do not believe he will land in Edmonton. It would be a bad tone deaf move by Kenny, I hope he avoids that.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

If we Sign Krug and Pietrangelo we should be fine... Its fitting in Stamkos and Hall also which will show if Yzerman can manage a cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad