Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Jakub Vrana re-signs with the Red Wings (3 years, $5.25M AAV)

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
You are kidding yourself if you think Detroit is one of the worst NHL cities to live in. There are some pretty crappy places with ridiculously high taxes out there. Detroit is on the lower end for NHL tax burdens.
Certainly isnt a place where businesses, families, or even freelancers are moving to. All cities go through peaks and valleys; Detroit is in the middle of the latter

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I live in SE Michigan. It's pretty much a shit place to live compared to every other NHL region outside of the Alberta wastelands.

Constant construction, terrible traffic, rude people, nowhere to go and nothing to do, almost no art or culture to speak of. Terrible winters with worsening road management every winter. You have a few nice areas and as soon as you leave them it turns into thunderdome. Most of the people here are rubes. It sucks.

Yikes. Taylor must suck.

Ever been to Bloomfield Hills. Yzerman is 2 doors down from me. Pretty sure his wife stayed here while SY was in Tampa. Stevie ran TB from Bloomfield, you t*at

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I don't love that number for Det but you never know with young guys who look promising.

I love it. It's a fair deal for a young player. With this, he either shows he's a 7-8M+ guy on his next deal or you trade him as a rental top 6 guy in a couple years with an affordable deal.

I live in SE Michigan. It's pretty much a shit place to live compared to every other NHL region outside of the Alberta wastelands.

Constant construction, terrible traffic, rude people, nowhere to go and nothing to do, almost no art or culture to speak of. Terrible winters with worsening road management every winter. You have a few nice areas and as soon as you leave them it turns into thunderdome. Most of the people here are rubes. It sucks.

Construction? Yes

Terrible Traffic? Atlanta, Los Angeles, basically any other city larger than Detroit wants to talk to you.

Rude people? People in Michigan mirror the person they're talking to. If they're rude, it's because you're rude. Been a Michigander my whole life. Love helping anyone and everyone. You're a dick to me though? f*** you then.

Art or Culture? Art or Culture are literally anywhere if you look. Do you honestly think NHL players are, en masse, looking to tool around museums? Do you think being in DC and having all the Smithsonian and all the monuments are really something that draws in the NHL talent? And you want to see beautiful land? Literally drive an hour or two up 75 to get out of the Detroit area. Go to the middle of the Lower Peninsula and north. The lesser populated areas of Michigan are f***ing gorgeous. Or the Great Lakes.

Bad winters? Yeah, but bad winters are everywhere. Doesn't get in the negative degrees near as much as anywhere in Canada or Minnesota though. Worsening road management? Yeah, that is a problem. But not in the cities where NHL guys are living.

And word to the wise... 90% of areas around the country are kind of like that. Los Angeles is one of the biggest cities on the face of the planet... it has so many areas that you just don't want to f***ing go to. St. Louis is a pretty nice city... and right close to it is East St. Louis where not a soul wants to tread.

So, no, I don't think SE Michigan sucks. I think you suck.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I say this as a Wings fan: With a salary cap in effect, Detroit will never be a prime destination for UFAs, and that is going to significantly lengthen and dampen the rebuild.

1. SE Michigan is one of the worst NHL regions to live in.
2. Detroit players have to pay all of Federal, State, City, and Sales tax, which combines to take almost half their salary in tax.
3. Profit sharing means that even small market teams can spend to the cap.

Detroit was able to overcome the handicap of being Detroit in the 90s-2000s because they won, could spend more, and had a legendary coach. Those days are gone.
  1. First of all, in the NHL good talent and good pay will matter more than mere location. Remember when the Wings won a Cup at the start of the salary cap era, and were good enough to win at least one more? I do. If we put a good enough team together, free agents will want to sign here, especially if we maintain a stellar bill-of-health on our cap spreadsheet.
  2. Also, FAs are by any measure the absolute worst way to build your team. The contracts become overpriced for their value on ice usually after the first few years of a deal. FA should be the last place a team looks for to bring in a core piece, as more of a finishing touch on a rebuild. Cheap, and more importantly, short-term FAs are key to allowing a rebuilding team's young players the chance to grow into their roles at the NHL level, but these FAs are not expected to be around long-term.
  3. It is absolutely a matter of taste as to what a player may prefer. Some prefer the more laid back pace of life in an area like SE Michigan, rather than the glitz and glam of Toronto, NY or LA, for instance. It's by no means a perfect area, but then again what is?
  4. You know that a player's game by game salary is based on the city they play in, right? And that most teams an NHL player might find themselves in, especially the most desirable, have even higher income taxes than Detroit. There's a bunch of tradeoffs in terms of how a player chooses to structure their contracts, and taxes are but one component of them.
  5. Profit sharing allows for the big market teams to help subsidize the existence of small market teams, but it by no means guarantees a team the ability to spend to the cap. Rumors of which teams are operating on an internal salary expenditure limit crawl out every year.
  6. See point number one. Good talent, from scouting, player development, coaching, management, ownership and of course the players themselves, brought Detroit the ultimate prize in the sport in that era. It wasn't just because Mike Illitch opened his pocketbook that we won those Cups. (Okay maybe in 2002, I'll give you that).

Reactions: 13to40

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Certainly isnt a place where businesses, families, or even freelancers are moving to. All cities go through peaks and valleys; Detroit is in the middle of the latter

Detroit has been on the rise for like a decade. It's nothing like it was 20+ years ago, much nicer and safer now. Still some rough areas outside of downtown but you'll find that in most major cities. Oakland county is one of the richest counties in the US and a fabulous place to live and raise a family.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Construction? Yes

Terrible Traffic? Atlanta, Los Angeles, basically any other city larger than Detroit wants to talk to you.

Rude people? People in Michigan mirror the person they're talking to. If they're rude, it's because you're rude. Been a Michigander my whole life. Love helping anyone and everyone. You're a dick to me though? f*** you then.

Art or Culture? Art or Culture are literally anywhere if you look. Do you honestly think NHL players are, en masse, looking to tool around museums? Do you think being in DC and having all the Smithsonian and all the monuments are really something that draws in the NHL talent? And you want to see beautiful land? Literally drive an hour or two up 75 to get out of the Detroit area. Go to the middle of the Lower Peninsula and north. The lesser populated areas of Michigan are f***ing gorgeous. Or the Great Lakes.

Bad winters? Yeah, but bad winters are everywhere. Doesn't get in the negative degrees near as much as anywhere in Canada or Minnesota though. Worsening road management? Yeah, that is a problem. But not in the cities where NHL guys are living.

And word to the wise... 90% of areas around the country are kind of like that. Los Angeles is one of the biggest cities on the face of the planet... it has so many areas that you just don't want to f***ing go to. St. Louis is a pretty nice city... and right close to it is East St. Louis where not a soul wants to tread.

You know it's bad when one of your best endorsements of the area is "Nice stuff is two hours away!"

I live in one of the nicer parts of SE MI, by the way. Not Taylor. It's still a terrible place to live. Sorry you're all stuck here like I am, but I'm not gonna try to make myself, or you, feel better about it.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I love it. It's a fair deal for a young player. With this, he either shows he's a 7-8M+ guy on his next deal or you trade him as a rental top 6 guy in a couple years with an affordable deal.

Construction? Yes

giphy.gif

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
You know it's bad when one of your best endorsements of the area is "Nice stuff is two hours away!"

I live in one of the nicer parts of SE MI, by the way. Not Taylor. It's still a terrible place to live. Sorry you're all stuck here like I am, but I'm not gonna try to make myself, or you, feel better about it.

Good for you bud. But if you hate it so much why not move? It's simple; Apply for a job, accept it, then move. Boom. done.

Instead of being miserable in South East Michigan you could choose to change things.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Why do people still think that players live in Detroit?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Good for you bud. But if you hate it so much why not move? It's simple; Apply for a job, accept it, then move. Boom. done.

Instead of being miserable in South East Michigan you could choose to change things.

I've been trying to convince my wife to leave for years. If she said the word I'd be living in Maryland or NY or Colorado. There's many reasons someone might be stuck somewhere.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Grass is always greener syndrome. The reasons he says SE Michigan are bad are still present at the places he mentions moving to. Let’s see…..

1. Constant construction - same problem will exist in NY and MD, probably not Colorado.

2. Terrible Traffic - NY traffic is some of the worst in the country. MD traffic IS the worst unless you are far from DC. I’ve lived in Detroit, Chicago, Denver, Portland, and Las Vegas and Detroit by far has the least congestion apart for Vegas. If you think Detroit traffic is terrible just give up on big cities VIT really won’t get any better.

3. Rude People - NY is legendary for rudeness. MD is similar to Detroit. Colorado is really friendly outside of Boulder, they are very closed-minded there.

4. Nowhere to Go/Nothing to Do - Take Colorado off the list then. There is next to no culture there. MD has none unless you count DC and good luck with that tourist nightmare. NY is by far king here.

5. Terrible Winters - You call Detroit winters terrible and have Colorado on your list? Are you even aware how bad winters are there??? NY winters aren’t any better than Detroit and for the last decade have been worse. MD “winters” aren’t even worth talking about.

Honestly, your entire post line reads like a disgruntled teen who is convinced anywhere is better than here. If you said you wanted to move to AZ or TX or GA for example it makes sense. No you wanna move to places that have the exact things that you hate about where you are? Like magically being in another state will make shitty traffic and roads and people magically more bearable. News flash, it doesn’t. You will still be just as miserable once the “shiny new toy” syndrome of a new city fades if you just move somewhere that has everything you already hate. Instead of trashing Detroit, look in the mirror and ask yourself why if you are so unhappy you wanna make a lateral move to places fill with all the things making you unhappy? It’s probably not the city, it’s more likely just you.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Having had the benefit of living near many major metropolitan areas across the country and abroad, I will say, generally - with a handful of exceptions - is almost always a "nice" part where people with money and means live and they are all generally comparable. THAT is where these athletes live. For the sake of Detroit, these guys don't live in Detroit, they live in Bloomfield, Birmingham, etc. which is roughly 30 - 40 min away from the rink, even in poor traffic.

Now, I'm not saying DET is the same as....NYC or TOR. There are differences and some of which are very meaningful to players as they make decisions. Like, LA has very specific things about it that could make more or less attractive to a player based upon their needs and desires. But to definitively say an area is terrible and no one would want to go there is just wrong. There are always going to be areas where these guys live, private schools for kids, shopping, and some outlet for socialization - it just becomes a degree.

Reactions: Hatter of the Beach

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Based on his production and the contract, you must think the Kaprizov should be getting 11M+ then.

I don't follow.

Kaprizov has 55 games and was basically PPG. If you wanted to sign him for 8 years, you would definitely be looking at double digits for him after seeing what Panarin got as he came in and rocked the league. If you wanted to bridge him, he wouldn't get near that much. However, complicating things is that KK has literally all the leverage to get a way bigger deal right now than he "deserves".

Vrana is about a 50 point player and he got 5.25 million for three years, one of which is a UFA year. This is a fine contract for a top 6 player and doesn't inform a damn thing about Kirill Kaprizov's negotiations, because Vrana isn't a 10.2c player, he doesn't have a double digit millions contract back in Russia, and he's not a guy that the Red Wings literally cannot lose. It would hurt if they let Vrana walk away... but Kaprizov is the biggest prospect in Minnesota Wild history and came into the league with a year that justified that hype.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
At the end of the season, his numbers will make this contract fine….But his production might be the only thing overly endearing and will come in chunks and will often feel a bit hollow under heavy analysis.

A heavy load of ice time and he could reach another level. Always thought he had 30g stuff.

This is a good deal for both sides IMO. Good luck Jake!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Umm, literally every big city has people in all business and vocations moving to and from them.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why do people not seem to understand that literally every major city in North America and most overseas all have great, good, ok, bad, and terrible areas? Also, any area that athletes choose to live is likely beautiful and an awesome place to live. Not like athletes are living in downtown slums and stuff like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad