Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Danny DeKeyser (6 years, $5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
People are selling the Wings current playoff streak short. It's amazing what they have been able to do and will always be a top class ranked organization.

Also they have Larkin, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan who are young and Mantha, Svechnikov , Athanasiou , Cholowski, Sproul and many other good young prospects . They have Helm, Nielson now who are great secondary and role players. They will continue to **** **** up . Their prospect pool is amazing considering they have made playoffs 25 years in a row and haven't had high picks.

They also pick lots of Europeans mainly Swedish in later rounds that end up being Superstars in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if one of their Europeans end up being another Datsyuk.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
People are selling the Wings current playoff streak short. It's amazing what they have been able to do and will always be a top class ranked organization.

Also they have Larkin, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan who are young and Mantha, Svechnikov , Athanasiou , Cholowski, Sproul and many other good young prospects . They have Helm, Nielson now who are great secondary and role players. They will continue to **** **** up . Their prospect pool is amazing considering they have made playoffs 25 years in a row and haven't had high picks.

They also pick lots of Europeans mainly Swedish in later rounds that end up being Superstars in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if one of their Europeans end up being another Datsyuk.

Leaving out Mrazek is a pretty big omission. He and Larkin are hopefully the pillars the team is built on shortly.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Let's operate under the premise that deployment is a good excuse for have Polak-esque possession results and underwhelming offense.

Your argument can't be "all his evaluative metrics look ****** because he plays a lot of tough minutes" and then also say "he deserves this contract because he plays a lot of tough minutes." That does not make sense.

If that hard deployment is causing him to struggle to produce points/shots or limit shots on his goal, then the whole reason for him being paid is the very same one that leads to him getting caved in possession-wise.

I don't think DDK is necessarily a bad player, but he should definitely be used differently if these are the measurable results from his play. Which is why I'd say he probably shouldn't have received a contract that pays him for a role in which he is overmatched.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Let's operate under the premise that deployment is a good excuse for have Polak-esque possession results and underwhelming offense.

Your argument can't be "all his evaluative metrics look ****** because he plays a lot of tough minutes" and then also say "he deserves this contract because he plays a lot of tough minutes." That does not make sense.

If that hard deployment is causing him to struggle to produce points/shots or limit shots on his goal, then the whole reason for him being paid is the very same one that leads to him getting caved in possession-wise.

I don't think DDK is necessarily a bad player, but he should definitely be used differently if these are the measurable results from his play. Which is why I'd say he probably shouldn't have received a contract that pays him for a role in which he is overmatched.

He's the best we have for that role and we can't afford to lose him. Idk why this is so hard for people to understand.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
He's the best we have for that role and we can't afford to lose him. Idk why this is so hard for people to understand.

People can understand that and still call it an ugly contract. Just because the Wings "had to pay him" doesn't mean they're going to get praised for doing so.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
So I guess we'll just put more forwards out there because we don't have any defensemen capable of logging tough minutes, good talk guys.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
ddk is a good defencemen and brenden smith is barely smart enough to play 3rd pairing minutes. corsi is for people that dont watch hockey and just look at numbers.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
People can understand that and still call it an ugly contract. Just because the Wings "had to pay him" doesn't mean they're going to get praised for doing so.

$5M is not top pairing money anymore. That's basically the going rate for top 4D these days and that's exactly what he is.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

That would be great. That is what most Wings fans want, except the ones that overrate DeKeyser because he's the best what we got.

But that would require us to acquire a legitimate top pairing defenseman, so we can bump everyone else down the depth chart and slot them appropriately.

Ken Holland has been trying to do this since the day Listrom retired, and has failed miserably (not that it's easy).

So we just don't have the ability to do what you are suggesting. It's also why he has the leverage to demand the money he got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad