Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Danny DeKeyser (6 years, $5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
He's a #3 on a Cup contender, a #2 on an average to above average defense, and a #1 in Detroit, at least until they fix that dumpster fire on the back end. Nothing wrong with who he is, but claiming $6M on the open market is a bit silly.

The guy currently deserves $4M, but had all the leverage to get $5M. Not the end of the world.

/thread This sums the situation up perfectly.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Everyone hating on this deal shows they don't watch DDK at all.

Great job locking this guy down for a reasonable price. These are UFA years and are not cheap just look around the league. He's reliable, can eat minutes and put up 30 points.

great piece for a d-core moving forward

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
RFA or UFA?
I can't see how people don't understand the fundamental difference between a 21 year old signing a 4 mil/yr mainly RFA contract and a 26 year old signing a 5 mil/yr mainly UFA contract.

If you don't understand you should look into it, it's very simple and very important to NHL contracts.

if it wasn't obvious I didn't mean you who I quoted, just a general you

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He's a #3 on a Cup contender, a #2 on an average to above average defense, and a #1 in Detroit, at least until they fix that dumpster fire on the back end. Nothing wrong with who he is, but claiming $6M on the open market is a bit silly.

The guy currently deserves $4M, but had all the leverage to get $5M. Not the end of the world.

I said "close to" $6 million.

Marc Staal $5.7 for 8 years and he hasn't scored 29 points in like 6 years.
Someone already pointed out Oprik @ $5.5

I'm sure more samples can be made. Had Dekyser chose to test FA, he'd been courted by lots of GMs and a bidding war would have pursued. $6 million on the open market isn't silly.

Detroit actually got a nice discount by atleast $500,000 thousand dollars per year.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I don't know, just going off the first guy I could think of that was a "good" UFA defenseman,

Brooks Orpik is signed at 5.5 million per year cap hit.
He signed that at the age of 33 I think
His second highest point total in a season is 19. Dekeyser has more than that in all 3 of his professional seasons.

Dekeyser would have been 27-28(?) if he were to hit UFA.
Like I said, he scores more points
The cap will probably be higher than it was in 2014-15

6 million seems pretty reasonable to me

Some more comparables are Jason Demers, Andrej Sekera, Mike Green, Paul Martin, Matt Niskanen and Anton Stralman

Feb 24, 2004
Everyone hating on this deal shows they don't watch DDK at all.

Great job locking this guy down for a reasonable price. These are UFA years and are not cheap just look around the league. He's reliable, can eat minutes and put up 30 points.

great piece for a d-core moving forward

Probably something that was said about Andrew MacDonald when he was signed also.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Great summary. :handclap:

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
He would've gotten that much, And maybe far more had he hit the free agency market. The way D men are getting paid now. Petry has 1 year at 25 points with Edmonton and Montreal gave him 6 years $33 million. No way is Petry any better then DDK.

I would take Petry over DDK every day of the week and twice on sundays. You seriously think he would have gotten "far more" money as a UFA? Other teams don't view him as a top 2 guy so I highly doubt that. This reminds me of the Phaneuf contract Toronto gave out in the sense that Phaneuf isn't a top 2 guy, but they paid him like one simply because they had nobody else to fill that roll on the team.

DDK is average, at best, in his D zone. They give up just as many shots with him on the ice as they do when he's on the bench. Offensively he is in the bottom 11% of the league in shot generation (as per Travis Yost). IMO he is worth $4M as a 3/4 defender.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
wow was TSN ever trashing this signing

its crazy the amount of sites that feel its a terrible signing when looking around on the internet.. had no idea so many people find it so bad. like I realize many HF users do, but didn't realize so many others do too

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Advanced stats as the be-all/end-all of evaluation in hockey is hilarious.

Aside from that, I can't imagine a better way to broadcast your ignorance than to suggest that a team should refuse to sign it's best defensive defensemen, thereby dooming it's defense to league-low talent levels, over ******* $500k. Some of y'all have lost the forest for the trees in every conceivable way. There are plenty of horrific contracts on this team to criticize, for far bigger spare parts than DDK is.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
The wings fans that have watched all of his games like the deal. So it's probably a pretty good to average deal.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I would take Petry over DDK every day of the week and twice on sundays. You seriously think he would have gotten "far more" money as a UFA? Other teams don't view him as a top 2 guy so I highly doubt that. This reminds me of the Phaneuf contract Toronto gave out in the sense that Phaneuf isn't a top 2 guy, but they paid him like one simply because they had nobody else to fill that roll on the team.

DDK is average, at best, in his D zone. They give up just as many shots with him on the ice as they do when he's on the bench. Offensively he is in the bottom 11% of the league in shot generation (as per Travis Yost). IMO he is worth $4M as a 3/4 defender.

Really Petry who averages 22 points per season and is a -22 over his career. Compared to DDK who averages 25 points per season and is a +11 over his career and tell how again Petry is better then DDK.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Really Petry who averages 22 points per season and is a -22 over his career. Compared to DDK who averages 25 points per season and is a +11 over his career and tell how again Petry is better then DDK.

Look at the teams he played on compared to DDK. Not really a fair comparison. Plus/Minus isn't a great stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad