Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Danny DeKeyser (6 years, $5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
You seriously still think the wings are a playoff team? Ok sure.

Anyways tsn has chimed in on the deal and like all non wings fans they think it's a bad deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/detroit-made-the-wrong-decision-on-dekeyser-1.534255

Of course. I'm sure he has time to actually watch the games. I'm sure he knows that the guys who supposedly help Dekeyser's possession are also the ones who are known for turning over the puck most in high danger zones and do a whole lot of nothing when having possession. I'm sure he knows that he resurrected Quincey's career and the Wings #1 hand-holder, their go-to babysitter. I'm sure he knows that Kronwall and Zetterberg are now trash defensively. Etc.

But advanced stats. End argument. Detroit really should've passed on re-signing their best defenseman.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Isn't he at least a #4? Didn't Petry get the same deal which many are a fan of?

2nd line RWD are harder to find then 2nd line LWD,. Aside from that numbers are fairly even only that Petry bought out solely UFA years and DDK had some RFA years.

Petry is a solid #3. he just was a horrific top pairing d man in edm... that just wasnt in his ability

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
2nd line RWD are harder to find then 2nd line LWD,. Aside from that numbers are fairly even only that Petry bought out solely UFA years and DDK had some RFA years.

Petry is a solid #3. he just was a horrific top pairing d man in edm... that just wasnt in his ability

Using "some" to describe 1 RFA year is interesting.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Using "some" to describe 1 RFA year is interesting.

wasnt sure how many. one is still 20% of the contract sir.

Either way. call me a homer but i prefer Petry. but DDK is younger so theres room for improvment.

and when a UFA you have more negotiation power.

DDK is cheaper though.

Group Chat Legend*

The fact that you've made this comment shows how little of Red Wings hockey you watch. He's the team's most reliable defender and will only get better.

he isnt worth that contract

but im sure any non detroit fan know this

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
From a Habs fan, it's not the money he gets that intrigues me, it's the term. I understand the UFA years bought, but while I think he's actually pretty good (seemingly contrarily to most people here), I just think he's not 'proven' enough... but, anyway, Detroit at least has 1 good D inked long-term (totally dislike Green)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
he isnt worth that contract

but im sure any non detroit fan know this

I see plenty of neutral fans who support this deal in this thread. To be honest the neutral fans supporting this deal have much better reasons as to why it's decent than those who said it was bad and went on to list non-comparables

Group Chat Legend*

I see plenty of neutral fans who support this deal in this thread. To be honest the neutral fans supporting this deal have much better reasons as to why it's decent than those who said it was bad and went on to list non-comparables

I was being sarcastic because what I said a bunch of others said lol

But I do think its desperate on Detroits part to do this. 6 years for a guy who is barely proven? Yikes

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I was being sarcastic because what I said a bunch of others said lol

But I do think its desperate on Detroits part to do this. 6 years for a guy who is barely proven? Yikes

Considering the people we've given 5+ extensions to recently, this seems to be a godsend.

As for proven, at least half the wings forum goes crazy any time Holland does anything. This time it was almost unanimously accepted by the people who watch him every other night, he's proven it to us.

Time will tell, until then I see it as a very good deal for DDK and a fair deal for Detroit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You seriously still think the wings are a playoff team? Ok sure.

Anyways tsn has chimed in on the deal and like all non wings fans they think it's a bad deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/detroit-made-the-wrong-decision-on-dekeyser-1.534255

This is the same lazy argument being brought up by people here with hero charts. It was fairly embarrassing when reading it by TSN. I think he is overpaid because he doesn't have a tn of offense. But he is great defensively, I don't chart you show me. Also as said before, TSN should point out while trashing this we have the greatest contract in hockey in Brendan Smith if this is all we are looking at. So no worry DK is overpaid by 500K or 750K, but just play Smith 25 minutes a night because he is better at advanced stats than virtually the entire league.

DeKeyser is likely to be slightly overpaid for the duration of this contract. It is the other garbage contracts around the Wings that make this tough to swallow. Overpaying Abdelkader and DeKeyser in terms and marginally in dollars in fine because of what they bring when you watch them night in and night out. You get them, but it cannot happen when you are vastly overpaying Helm and Ericsson, along with Jimmy Howard never coming back from his groin tear.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Yet when he was on the oilers, many here considered him a #5 at best, weird.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
This is the same lazy argument being brought up by people here with hero charts. It was fairly embarrassing when reading it by TSN. I think he is overpaid because he doesn't have a tn of offense. But he is great defensively, I don't chart you show me. Also as said before, TSN should point out while trashing this we have the greatest contract in hockey in Brendan Smith if this is all we are looking at. So no worry DK is overpaid by 500K or 750K, but just play Smith 25 minutes a night because he is better at advanced stats than virtually the entire league.

DeKeyser is likely to be slightly overpaid for the duration of this contract. It is the other garbage contracts around the Wings that make this tough to swallow. Overpaying Abdelkader and DeKeyser in terms and marginally in dollars in fine because of what they bring when you watch them night in and night out. You get them, but it cannot happen when you are vastly overpaying Helm and Ericsson, along with Jimmy Howard never coming back from his groin tear.

Come'on, if you're going to take a jab at advanced stats at least attempt to learn what they are :laugh:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Come'on, if you're going to take a jab at advanced stats at least attempt to learn what they are :laugh:

He's not wrong. Go look at Smith's advanced stats. All that's missing is a Detroit beat writer publishing an article calling him an elite shot suppressor.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
He's not wrong. Go look at Smith's advanced stats. All that's missing is a Detroit beat writer publishing an article calling him an elite shot suppressor.

He is wrong.

"but just play Smith 25 minutes a night because he is better at advanced stats than virtually the entire league."

First of all, he said Smith is better at advanced stats :laugh: I'm not a grammer nazi or anything but there's something clearly wrong about that statement that gives an instant impression that he/she doesn't know advanced stats too well. A player can't be better at advanced stats or the other way around ...

Second of all and more importantly, he's wrong because nowhere does advanced stats tell you that he can handle #1 usage at all. Advanced stats tell you the reader how the player handles usage. DD had bad (not Girardi level terrible) adv stats so he clearly can't handle his usage. Smith had good adv stats so it's likely he handled his usage really well (bottom-pairing). What does this mean? It means Smith can handle harder usage (I.e go up a spot), while DD should go down in his usage (I.e go down a spot or get easier zone starts). That's a big concept people don't know about: Advanced stats tell us how a player did in their usage.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
He is wrong.

"but just play Smith 25 minutes a night because he is better at advanced stats than virtually the entire league."

First of all, he said Smith is better at advanced stats :laugh: I'm not a grammer nazi or anything but there's something clearly wrong about that statement that gives an instant impression that he/she doesn't know advanced stats too well. A player can't be better at advanced stats or the other way around ...

Second of all and more importantly, he's wrong because nowhere does advanced stats tell you that he can handle #1 usage at all. Advanced stats tell you the reader how the player handles usage. DD had bad (not Girardi level terrible) adv stats so he clearly can't handle his usage. Smith had good adv stats so it's likely he handled his usage really well (bottom-pairing). What does this mean? It means Smith can handle harder usage (I.e go up a spot), while DD should go down in his usage (I.e go down a spot or get easier zone starts). That's a big concept people don't know about: Advanced stats tell us how a player did in their usage.

Your arguing his point for him... He was clearly being sarcastic. You are correct, Dekeyser struggled as Detroit's number 1 picking up the hardest assignments while generally being paired with an anchor. And Detroit paid him 5 million for that. They didn't pay 5 million for a true number 1 that can carry the top pairing. If he got easier assignments and excelled in advanced stats in a 2nd pairing role then is he worth 5 million?

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Your arguing his point for him... He was clearly being sarcastic. You are correct, Dekeyser struggled as Detroit's number 1 picking up the hardest assignments while generally being paired with an anchor. And Detroit paid him 5 million for that. They didn't pay 5 million for a true number 1 that can carry the top pairing. If he got easier assignments and excelled in advanced stats in a 2nd pairing role then is he worth 5 million?

What point? Obviously he/she was being sarcastic about playing him 25 minutes (because he was making fun of adv stats). However it's quite obvious he/she doesn't know what the advanced stats of B.Smith indicates as the poster just implied that the advanced stats of B.Smith are good enough for top pairing when nowhere does 'advanced stats' say that.

His advanced stats aren't going to go from bad to good automatically with slightly easier usage. It doesn't work like that. There's a trend to every player over their careers. I for one have looked at stats for a long time now and it's easy to see how a player's done with harder/easier usage (there isn't a huge difference, only small shifts).

For example if you want to see growth, look at Stralman/Gardiner. Their adv stats improved yearly over their careers slowly by slowly even with harder and harder usage every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad