News Article: DET claims Magnus Hellberg (G)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Mod: Let's steer conversation back to Hellberg, Ned, and what having a third goalie around could potentially do to help out and away from theorycrafting trades for Byfield. If you want to continue the Byfield talk, use one of the many topics about how we will structure our roster or create it's own topic if you think it's meaty enough for that discussion.

I see how we drifted to it, but Frk It's right. On-topic, boyos.

Edit: Also, if you want to comment on Hellberg's sweet goalie pads, go for it. I'm glad to have him back for those alone.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mod: Let's steer conversation back to Hellberg, Ned, and what having a third goalie around could potentially do to help out and away from theorycrafting trades for Byfield. If you want to continue the Byfield talk, use one of the many topics about how we will structure our roster or create it's own topic if you think it's meaty enough for that discussion.

I see how we drifted to it, but Frk It's right. On-topic, boyos.

Edit: Also, if you want to comment on Hellberg's sweet goalie pads, go for it. I'm glad to have him back for those alone.
Might need some more coffee, feeling a little cranky this morning. :laugh:

I like the idea of Hellberg stabilizing the #2 spot, temporarily or possibly beyond. I feel like as a bigger goalie his margin of error is a lot smaller than it is for Ned. We do need to do a better job as a team of playing better in front of whatever goalie we send out as the #2. Just a reminder that in our last game Ned played we were getting outshot by like 20+ shots.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Might need some more coffee, feeling a little cranky this morning. :laugh:

I like the idea of Hellberg stabilizing the #2 spot, temporarily or possibly beyond. I feel like as a bigger goalie his margin of error is a lot smaller than it is for Ned. We do need to do a better job as a team of playing better in front of whatever goalie we send out as the #2. Just a reminder that in our last game Ned played we were getting outshot by like 20+ shots.
Largely agreed. I think it really comes down to what I said previously. They’re not looking to dump Ned or replace him… but just give him a mental breather so he can get away from feeling pressured without also overworking Husso who has been spectacular.

I think Ned is, in reality, closer to the guy we traded for from Carolina than a wastrel. Goalies are literal insane people who are their own worst mental enemies. I think if you’ve got an open spot and you don’t have to bury Ned in the AHL to have a break, it’ll do wonders for him

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Largely agreed. I think it really comes down to what I said previously. They’re not looking to dump Ned or replace him… but just give him a mental breather so he can get away from feeling pressured without also overworking Husso who has been spectacular.

I think Ned is, in reality, closer to the guy we traded for from Carolina than a wastrel. Goalies are literal insane people who are their own worst mental enemies. I think if you’ve got an open spot and you don’t have to bury Ned in the AHL to have a break, it’ll do wonders for him
Have to remember he is also having a child for the first time. When my wife was pregnant, I couldn't stop thinking about everything that has to do with our future child. So his mental capacity could be getting steered that way more often than not.

Can't blame him for it. And it doesn't help that we play poor hockey in front of him.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
What I like most about Byfield is that Hellberg could be a serious help to our goaltending situation. I know some people think Husso can just play almost every game, but that's not a good idea. We need a backup to play every 4th game at least, and luckily Detroit has the roster room to carry 3 goalies for now. Hellberg is a help to both Detroit and Ned.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
If you're going to carry 3 goalies, #3 isn't there to give #2 a physical or mental rest ... he's there to give the #1 guy rest.

Even on days where he knows he's backing up, Husso still has to spend long hours at the rink and go through all of his preparation physically on the oft chance Ned gets chased.

With Hellberg up, when Ned or Hellberg play, it's an opportunity to give Husso the entire day off. He's the one who needs the rest.

If you're a backup in the NHL and only expected to play 25-30 games, physical or mental rest for you should be the last thing anyone is being concerned with.

You can't hack being a friggin' backup, no problem ... we'll find someone else.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
If you're going to carry 3 goalies, #3 isn't there to give #2 a physical or mental rest ... he's there to give the #1 guy rest.

Even on days where he knows he's backing up, Husso still has to spend long hours at the rink and go through all of his preparation physically on the oft chance Ned gets chased.

With Hellberg up, when Ned or Hellberg play, it's an opportunity to give Husso the entire day off. He's the one who needs the rest.

If you're a backup in the NHL and only expected to play 25-30 games, physical or mental rest for you should be the last thing anyone is being concerned with.

You can't hack being a friggin' backup, no problem ... we'll find someone else.
Well, it would be more that they're going to let Husso have his rest while also not dumping Ned in net on those days. Yes, everything is directed towards the number one, but the idea is that with Ned there, Husso would get his days off. With Ned and Hellberg, he'll get his days off.

I was saying it more in terms of you're not continually putting a guy in a terrible spot because you have to give your #1 goalie a rest.

And also my point on Ned was more a chance to potentially snap his yips if he's working as G#3. So that when you send Hellberg back down eventually, Husso can be more rested and Ned can have some pressure removed too.

I think it's going to be a very rare occurence when they just wholesale give Husso the day off. It'll just let Husso be Husso and play 65% of the games and not feel like he's got to try to be Superman because Ned is just out of sorts.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The other interesting thing with this, was going into the season I was thinking we would have like a 50/50 or 60/40 split in net.

Will be curious to see how Husso can handle being a workhouse goalie, if things continue trending that way. That's not something I thought we would see this year.

Last edited:

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Well, it would be more that they're going to let Husso have his rest while also not dumping Ned in net on those days. Yes, everything is directed towards the number one, but the idea is that with Ned there, Husso would get his days off. With Ned and Hellberg, he'll get his days off.

I was saying it more in terms of you're not continually putting a guy in a terrible spot because you have to give your #1 goalie a rest.

And also my point on Ned was more a chance to potentially snap his yips if he's working as G#3. So that when you send Hellberg back down eventually, Husso can be more rested and Ned can have some pressure removed too.

I think it's going to be a very rare occurence when they just wholesale give Husso the day off. It'll just let Husso be Husso and play 65% of the games and not feel like he's got to try to be Superman because Ned is just out of sorts.
You can say it however you like, as many times as you like. It still doesn't make it so.

The idea that you're putting the poor backup in an unenviable spot because you're asking him to take on the enormously mentally challenging responsibility of playing 1 in 4 is a reach.

The idea that the backup will cure his yips by becoming the #3, and essentially never playing is, again a reach. For Ned to get his confidence back, he has to play. He won't play much in Detroit, if at all. Ultimately he will go or Hellberg will go. It's not optimal to use a roster spot on a guy to always sit in the press box.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
You can say it however you like, as many times as you like. It still doesn't make it so.

The idea that you're putting the poor backup in an unenviable spot because you're asking him to take on the enormously mentally challenging responsibility of playing 1 in 4 is a reach.

The idea that the backup will cure his yips by becoming the #3, and essentially never playing is, again a reach. For Ned to get his confidence back, he has to play. He won't play much in Detroit, if at all. Ultimately he will go or Hellberg will go. It's not optimal to use a roster spot on a guy to always sit in the press box.
This won't be a long-term thing. And we don't know what, if anything, they're working with Ned on. Someone said his first child is due soon. It's possible they just want coverage to get past that point, in the hopes his outlook will change after the birth. Who knows.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Ned and his wife announced the incoming arrival on Oct 24. Unless she was already 7 months pregnant, which would have made the "announcement" pointless, the arrival is still sometime down the road yet.

Where did the idea that Ned is suffering mentally or physically come from anyway? Is it purely just another speculative baseless narrative? Or is there substance to it beyond his brutal performance?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Ned and his wife announced the incoming arrival on Oct 24. Unless she was already 7 months pregnant, which would have made the "announcement" pointless, the arrival is still sometime down the road yet.

Where did the idea that Ned is suffering mentally or physically come from anyway? Is it purely just another speculative baseless narrative? Or is there substance to it beyond his brutal performance?
I wasn't saying "suffering mentally". I was saying that giving a guy a day off when he's playing like dogshit can be helpful. It wasn't the main reason for calling up Hellberg, but I can definitely see an argument that giving Ned a breath helps him, Husso, and the Wings.

He's playing incredibly bad after a year plus of playing very well and making mistakes he simply didn't make before.

Reactions: Frk It

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
So is Ned or Husso injured?

Or is this call up more to see if Hellberg can outplay Ned for backup spot?
He had to come back to the NHL anyway as we claimed him from waivers, the only reason he was sent down was conditioning stint. Ned's last start probably makes their decision to involve Hellberg easy.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
They had to call Hellberg up, or subject him to waivers. It's not simply because there's roster space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad