News Article: DET claims Magnus Hellberg (G)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
They're not trying to "pull" those guys, we're trying to "pull" Byfield. What else would they do it for?

1st round pick (~15th overall)? No
Bertuzzi? No
Hronek? No
Kasper? No
Edvinsson? No

To suggest we could get a 2nd overall pick that just turned 20 for less is laughable.
Kings are going to have to disregard draft position with Byfield just as the Wings need to with Zadina. Byfield isn't a #2 any more than Zadina is a #6.

They might still con someone out of something as he's a 6'5" center, but right now he's trending the way of Rasmussen.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Which other pieces do we have that you think we can get him for?
I'll honestly say I don't know. I didn't know how in or out of favor he was out in L.A. I knew he was in the AHL, and wasn't anything spectacular last year with significant time in the NHL but after reading about it, right now he seems to be there(the AHL) more for conditioning purposes... Which I don't understand totally TBH but hey, he's been playing well in the AHL.

Rough to say they'd trade him for a back-up goalie(Neds), prospect(Wallinder) and mid round pick(3rd) which is what I was thinking in my head if he fell out of favor in L.A. Though you didn't really articulate it well, I think you have a point in saying the 2nd overall pick from 2 or 3 years ago isn't being traded without a solid return. I think the Seider/Larkin comments are hyperbolic but, you kind of pointed out that to me about my comments as well.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'll honestly say I don't know. I didn't know how in or out of favor he was out in L.A. I knew he was in the AHL, and wasn't anything spectacular last year with significant time in the NHL but after reading about it, right now he seems to be there(the AHL) more for conditioning purposes... Which I don't understand totally TBH but hey, he's been playing well in the AHL.

Rough to say they'd trade him for a back-up goalie, prospect and mid round pick which is what I was thinking in my head if he fell out of favor in L.A. Though you didn't really articulate it well, I think you have a point in saying the 2nd overall pick from 2 years ago isn't being traded without a solid return. I think the Seider/Larkin comments are hyperbolic but, you kind of pointed out that to me about my comments as well.

He's been bad in the NHL which is why he's down in the AHL. The guy is looking like he won't be much more than a 3rd line winger in the NHL.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Byfield lost a ton of weight with an illness and I guess that's why he's in the AHL? That's what they say anyways. But he's only 20, and look at what Vilardi is doing at 23. From what I've watched of him, nothing impressive but there is still time with him.

I'm sure a ton are pointing to Tage Thompson when talking about Byfield. I think he's in that spot where LA doesn't move him because the return would be garbage, so they might as well run with him and see what happens.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Byfield lost a ton of weight with an illness and I guess that's why he's in the AHL? That's what they say anyways. But he's only 20, and look at what Vilardi is doing at 23. From what I've watched of him, nothing impressive but there is still time with him.

I'm sure a ton are pointing to Tage Thompson when talking about Byfield. I think he's in that spot where LA doesn't move him because the return would be garbage, so they might as well run with him and see what happens.
Then why is there all this fuss about Zadina around here?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Vilardi's issue was more health than IQ.

Byfield has been studying at the Brendan Smith school for hockey players that want to learn to play realgud and do other stuff good, too.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Kirby Dach got traded for 13th overall and 66th overall.

That's a decent comparable, although in my opinion 20 year and 3 month old Byfield has a good amount more value than 21 year and 5 month old Dach did.

So back to my original point, MAYYYBE a 1st + 3rd + Ned is enough to get it done (I would leap at that opportunity), but our backup goalie is an afterthought in the trade that they tack on and we say "ok whatever take him", not a significant piece

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

That's a decent comparable, although in my opinion 20 year and 3 month old Byfield has a good amount more value than 21 year and 5 month old Dach did.

So back to my original point, MAYYYBE a 1st + 3rd + Ned is enough to get it done (I would leap at that opportunity), but our backup goalie is an afterthought in the trade that they tack on and we say "ok whatever take him", not a significant piece
Only in the sense that Byfield's season of not terribly productive hockey hasn't happened yet and Dach's did. Kirby being a righty is also pretty valuable at the center position.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Then why is there all this fuss about Zadina around here?
Cause Zadina sucks.
Zadina's not some 6'5 guy growing into his game.
From the start, way before draft day, it was clear Byfield was going to be a long-term project.
The kings have some of the worst player development I've ever seen though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Husso record: 11-4-4, Pts% 0.684

Ned record: 2-4-2, Pts% 0.375

Man it would be lovely to get a good backup.

1670850201776.png

Hellberg has really shined vs. other Griffins goalies.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Husso record: 11-4-4, Pts% 0.684

Ned record: 2-4-2, Pts% 0.375

Man it would be lovely to get a good backup.

1670850201776.png

Hellberg has really shined vs. other Griffins goalies.

So is Ned or Husso injured?

Or is this call up more to see if Hellberg can outplay Ned for backup spot?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

How does Byfield have more value than Dach? Byfield has been bad in the NHL and Dach has at least put up some pts before this season, and is having a good season this year. Even before this season Dach was the more valuable player. Byfield has bad stats and bad eye test performance.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I want to see what Hellberg can do if given proper backup duties in the bigs. It can’t be worse than Ned has been this year. Even Calvin Pickard wasn’t that bad.
So is Ned or Husso injured?

Or is this call up more to see if Hellberg can outplay Ned for backup spot?

I think it's more to give Ned a little mental break because he's been struggling in the backup role. Instead of continuing to hammer him in every second or third night... let him reset mentally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad