Proposal: Det-Cgy

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The argument for Jackman is so funny....

The Flames would have to pay someone to take him...not the other way around

The Wings can put Tootoo on waiver and somebody may take him...

Take the 4th and run ...

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Your acting like we are taking 6 million of extra cap. We are only adding 1.28 million this year for a more physical, faster, fighter. We are getting a 3rd for Jackman and getting a better player this is absolutely the kind of deal we should be doing upgrading the roster with a better veteran and getting draft picks.

I'm talking on principle. It was a fourth, too. A third gets a little more palatable, to be sure.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
We don't need Jackman or Tootoo. But we could use a 3rd, so I would be Ok with that. Better yet, sign Brunner and trade him back to the Wings for a 1st at the deadline!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Or a TJ Brodie ;)

Shh, the lot of you.
We all know that only players selected in the first round, and in the top 5 in each draft year can make a difference! Duh.

But seriously. If I'm Calgary, I've shown some competency in drafting the past few years... I hold onto each pick like they were the cure for ugly.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Shh, the lot of you.
We all know that only players selected in the first round, and in the top 5 in each draft year can make a difference! Duh.

But seriously. If I'm Calgary, I've shown some competency in drafting the past few years... I hold onto each pick like they were the cure for ugly.

Yea i want to try and get as many picks as we can and continue the drafting strategy we have had these last few years

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Well JG is still a huge question mark for the NHL. There's a reason he was taken as late as he was.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well yes but your basically saying here instead of just burying him in the minors with no problems give us a 2nd why would they do that?

To get his contract completely off the books. There's maybe 3 teams right now who may consider taking him on with no salary coming back, he's not exactly high in demand. While burying him is an option, I'm sure that's lower on their list of options they would prefer to do. Again, easy for fans to say to bury him when it's not their money.

Our owners don't retain money on contracts either because they care about a dollar. People always propose to trade Cammy at half his salary, and that would never go down with our ownership.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
What are you talking about? The deal was Jackman for Tootoo and a 4th. McGratton isn't part of the deal. We know what Jackman is. Skilled for a tough guy, just not a very good fighter. Tootoo is Jackman, but better in both areas.

I know what the deal was about Detroit getting Tim Jackman but the fact is Tootoo would basically be taking McGratton job as a goon more than the roll of Jackman as of now we do not know what we are going to with Jackman. Jackaman does not look like he will get much NHL time if he stays on the Flames. The only plus with Tootoo is that he also has offense. In the end we have to decide is it worth taking on 4 million or just keep Jackman at a lower price.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
TBH, I'd feel bad for Mcgratton if we did this deal, that's a large part of why I'd pass on the OP as is. He's a guy who's worked his butt off for us, he's turned around his life, and the guys in the locker room love him. He plays his role just fine. Yes Tootoo is an upgrade over him, but unless we're getting something we can't say no to, I don't know that I'd do this for that reason. McGratton has been more than adequate in his role, I don't know if that sends a good message to the team.

Unless Bouma isn't quite the same, and we shift Tootoo to LW?

Or maybe we play Bouma at C and roll with Tootoo - Bouma - McGratton. That would be a nightmare for teams to play against.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
TBH, I'd feel bad for Mcgratton if we did this deal, that's a large part of why I'd pass on the OP as is. He's a guy who's worked his butt off for us, he's turned around his life, and the guys in the locker room love him. He plays his role just fine. Yes Tootoo is an upgrade over him, but unless we're getting something we can't say no to, I don't know that I'd do this for that reason. McGratton has been more than adequate in his role, I don't know if that sends a good message to the team.

Unless Bouma isn't quite the same, and we shift Tootoo to LW?

Or maybe we play Bouma at C and roll with Tootoo - Bouma - McGratton. That would be a nightmare for teams to play against.

This is what I was kind of thinking, I don't see how acquiring Tootoo means McGratton is out of a job if Jackman is going the other way. Factor in injuries and we could dress them both quite often.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
After seeing McGratt do his thing and then salute the crowd, its easy to like him bringing energy to the 4th line.

TylerSVT*

Well JG is still a huge question mark for the NHL. There's a reason he was taken as late as he was.

Its been pretty clear he was a steal. In a redraft he would be going in the 1st round for sure.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I know that everyone just looks at it as a Kotalik dump, but in reality we dropped 6.15M off the cap during the process of that trade (Regehr 4M + Kotalik 3M for Butler 850K). That is a significant amount money that in a cap structure is incredibly valuable. As much as Feaster spoke about the acquisition of Byron, that trade was made to free up cap space to sign Tanguay and potentially Richards.

The discrepancy in cap space traded between that deal and this proposal is simply too large to make such a comparison in my mind. If you can push Holland to give up a 3rd instead of a 4th for example then of course you do so, but in such a trade we would be getting the better player, and a mid round pick. Personally I think that is enough compensation for what would be taking on an extra year of Tootoo's contract.

For Kotalik it was about the salary. You can call it a cap dump but there's no other way of looking at it but simply salary as it was possible to bury anyone you wanted to with no cap penalty. So the Flames traded Kotalik with negative value (how much can be argued) to save ~$3,000,000 of actual salary. Similarly, Primeau was traded along with a 2nd round pick to save the Flames some cash. Primeau's salary was 1.4M, but he was a capable 13th forward and the Flames needed to replace him with someone so the actual salary saved was less than 1.4M, this was at the expense of a 2nd round pick and whatever they could get back for Stralman.

Tootoo is a legitimate 4th line player, and really not terrible as a injury replacement third liner but he still has 4M on his contract. While not a perfect translation, as Tootoo would be above the depth chart of several of the Flames other 4th line/fringe players, if we look at him as replacing Jackman and another league minimum player next year the salary difference is ~2.5M, roughly double the difference between Primeau when they gave up a 2nd. Cap really shouldn't enter the equation too much, in years past you could easily get rid of it and this year the Flames have a ton of it. The biggest difference is that Detroit can't hide all of Tootoo's cap, that's a bonus for a team like the Flames.

Again how cares if he is making 8 million we aren't in need of cap space and we will most likely be below the cap this year if we trade Cammy, Stemp, Stajan etc so getting Tootoo gives us an upgrade plus gives us some cap and we get a pick it is a win - win we will never get a 2nd no need to lose out on an upgrade because we are greedy.
The owners, managements and the fans?

While the Flames have far from a static budget this year, that extra cash comes from somewhere. That's just how a business works.

The salary cap floor is 44M, the team has to spend at least 44M by the end of the season in cap, that's true. The Flames current roster, depending on the exact roster to make it out of training camp is roughly 53M. The trade deadline is ~80% through the season, by that point the Flames would have spent over 42M, they could trade all those players you listed without taking back any salary (which is impossible as even league minimum players need to replace them) and still end up over the cap. Unless Cammalleri is traded very early on in the season there's not a concern about reaching the floor. And if he is traded early, there's multiple ways of getting value to reach the floor now (retain some salary, take on a salary dump) that's a non-issue to worry about.

So, what extra value does Tootoo have over Jackman? Better player easily, doesn't help the Flames much, wont help their development and wont be the difference between playoffs. He's not putting fans in the seats. There's a chance that after paying him 3.5M he would be tradeable at the deadline in 2015, but probably should be looked at as negligible. So it works out to be roughly 2.5M for a 4th round pick, if Feaster can convince the owners to shell out an extra 2.5M I would much much rather have him do it for something than a 4th round pick. With 2.5M, that's another European scout for awhile.

And Tampa-Toronto already set the bar for a 4th round pick in the Kolzig trade. Toronto took on ~$500,000 for a 4th round pick 4 years ago. Even if there's some inflation because of the cap and profit changes, a 4th round pick isn't nearly enough to take on Tootoo unless they think he has much extra value over Jackman. Now other teams might be willing to take on Tootoo if he adds something they need, but for the Flames I would say they are looking for at least a 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad