Proposal: Det-Cgy

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Flames have any interest in taking on some salary for a draft pick? Wings are a little handcuffed right now. Would be willing to take back another body with less salary.

Calgary gets: Jordin Tootoo (2yrs/1.9M per), 2014 4th round pick

Detroit gets: Tim Jackman (1yr/612k)

Aug 3, 2010
Flames have any interest in taking on some salary for a draft pick? Wings are a little handcuffed now. Would be willing to take back another body with less salary.

Calgary gets: Jordin Tootoo (2yrs/1.9M per), 2014 4th round pick

Detroit gets: Tim Jackman (1yr/612k)
Calgary would consider this deal early to mid-November after seeing what they have in their prospect pool that's ready to move up.

If enough of their prospects make it, they're more likely to waive/trade someone like Jackman for a mid-low pick instead of having another veteran fill a roster/contract spot.

If not enough prospects make it successfully, done deal.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Calgary would consider this deal early to mid-November after seeing what they have in their prospect pool that's ready to move up.

If enough of their prospects make it, they're more likely to waive/trade someone like Jackman for a mid-low pick instead of having another veteran fill a roster/contract spot.

If not enough prospects make it successfully, done deal.

Unfortunately the Wings can't wait that long, already over and need to dump salary in the next 3 weeks. Flames could still do this and if they choose to go with the prospects they can put Tootoo on waivers and send him down if he clears couldn't they? Wings will probably just put Jackman on waivers anyway...Wings would just put Tootoo on waivers but teams can only get a max of 925k cap relief from putting someone on waivers. So they would prefer to dump all of Tootoo's 1.9M in a trade instead of only getting 925k off the books.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I'd do it. Tim Jackman for a 4th is fine and we get a slightly better roster player who will be waived if one of our kids makes the jump.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I'd do it. Tim Jackman for a 4th is fine and we get a slightly better roster player who will be waived if one of our kids makes the jump.

Sweet, I'll send it over to Kenny Holland to put in an official offer.:D

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
No thanks. Does not help us at all.

Make it a 2nd.

It does help you. You're getting a decent draft pick to essentially swap goons. And the goon you're getting is a better hockey player. Flames have plenty of cap space so salary isn't a concern for you.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It does help you. You're getting a decent draft pick to essentially swap goons. And the goon you're getting is a better hockey player. Flames have plenty of cap space so salary isn't a concern for you.

We don't need Tootoo at all, like whatsoever. No it doesn't help us, I much prefer McGratton. We'd never make this deal.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
We don't need Tootoo at all, like whatsoever. No it doesn't help us, I much prefer McGratton. We'd never make this deal.

Again, you're not paying attention. You can just waive Tootoo if you want. It's a salary dump for the Wings and the Flames have plenty of cap space. YOU ARE GETTING A DRAFT PICK for doing nothing other than taking on a little more salary.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Again, you're not paying attention. You can just waive Tootoo if you want. It's a salary dump for the Wings and the Flames have plenty of cap space. YOU ARE GETTING A DRAFT PICK for doing nothing other than taking on a little more salary.

No you don't get it. Tell me how Feaster is going to sell to our owners to spend 2 million to get a 4th round pick? History has shown our ownership doesn't operate that way. Easy for some poster to say "it's not my money, so who cares how's it's spent". A 4th is not even close to get us to bite on that, Tootoo would serve zero purpose on our roster, we don't need him, try again.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Some fans are just difficult. Tootoo is a legit bottom 6 guy (not at 1.9 mil though), not just some fringe goon like McGrattan or Jackman.

Yeah I like Tootoo, wish the Wings didn't put themselves in this hole where they have to dump salary. He's def a solid bottom 6 guy. Heck he put up 30 points in 11-12. Scrappy, physical, solid forechecker, good fighter.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
No you don't get it. Tell me how Feaster is going to sell to our owners to spend 2 million to get a 4th round pick? History has shown our ownership doesn't operate that way. Easy for some poster to say "it's not my money, so who cares how's it's spent". A 4th is not even close to get us to bite on that, Tootoo would serve zero purpose on our roster, we don't need him, try again.

First of all its only an extra 1.3M not 2M. We are taking Jackman off your hands. And tell me how McGrattan is better than Tootoo? Mcgrattan has never put up more than 10 points in a season. Perhaps he is a better fighter because he is bigger but Tootoo is not intimidated and will throw down with anyone.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The problem is that we aren't upgrading one of our bottom-6 guys here. We're upgrading a guy who'll be riding the press-box anyway. That's why it doesn't really help us. It would be worth doing if Tim Jackman was a regular in our lineup, but he really shouldn't be this year.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
The problem is that we aren't upgrading one of our bottom-6 guys here. We're upgrading a guy who'll be riding the press-box anyway. That's why it doesn't really help us. It would be worth doing if Tim Jackman was a regular in our lineup, but he really shouldn't be this year.

Well IMO he is an upgrade to your bottom six. You think you are going to go through the season completely injury free? I highly doubt it, and I would think you would prefer to play a guy who can fight and chip in a little offense instead of a big lumberjack who only fights.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Yes please. Tootoo is an upgrade on Jackman, always wanted him on the flames

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Well IMO he is an upgrade to your bottom six. You think you are going to go through the season completely injury free? I highly doubt it, and I would think you would prefer to play a guy who can fight and chip in a little offense instead of a big lumberjack who only fights.

Go away Holland. That is a garbage trade. Make it a 2nd or bugger off.

Aug 3, 2010
It's really a such a pointless upgrade, though. I guess I wasn't looking at salary dollars, but it makes sense to get at least a third for doing this.

You're pushing it really hard but really, Calgary or any other team has so little overall interest in obtaining a player like Tootoo on their fourth line that it's really a moot point. Even if players on the Flames' bottom six were sidelined with injuries, they should be looking to bring in players from the farm team. That's part of the process with rebuilding.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
First of all its only an extra 1.3M not 2M. We are taking Jackman off your hands. And tell me how McGrattan is better than Tootoo? Mcgrattan has never put up more than 10 points in a season. Perhaps he is a better fighter because he is bigger but Tootoo is not intimidated and will throw down with anyone.

Our 4th line isn't there to rack up points, instead they are there to create energy: crashing the net, big hits, and occasionally fights. McGrattan is very important to the Flames simply because he sticks up for his team mates (and this was issue for the Flames before they picked him off waivers). The only thing I have a problem with is the term of Tootoo's contract: lot's of young players coming through the system and Tootoo takes up a roster spot on an already crowded Flames roster.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Our 4th line isn't there to rack up points, instead they are there to create energy: crashing the net, big hits, and occasionally fights. McGrattan is very important to the Flames simply because he sticks up for his team mates (and this was issue for the Flames before they picked him off waivers). The only thing I have a problem with is the term of Tootoo's contract: lot's of young players coming through the system and Tootoo takes up a roster spot on an already crowded Flames roster.

Tootoo is the epitome of an energy guy. How is it not better to have an energy guy who can score a little? Tootoo will stick up for his teammates. Granted he isn't as physically imposing as McGrattan but he's still a solid fighter. You do have a lot of youth coming through but that's top 9, skilled youth. Not 4th line fighters. Tootoo only got 2 years left on the deal. Not that bad of a term. Salary is a tad high but that's why you are getting a pick.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
It's really a such a pointless upgrade, though. I guess I wasn't looking at salary dollars, but it makes sense to get at least a third for doing this.

You're pushing it really hard but really, Calgary or any other team has so little overall interest in obtaining a player like Tootoo on their fourth line that it's really a moot point. Even if players on the Flames' bottom six were sidelined with injuries, they should be looking to bring in players from the farm team. That's part of the process with rebuilding.

So the guy below you says the 4th line is reserved for energy guys and you say it should be used to acclimate the young guys if you happen to suffer a couple injuries in the bottom 6. :help:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
quite frankly i would do this without the 4th, Tootoo is the better player, he is younger, faster, more offensive, he is also a true pest. His contract is really not that bad either.

Aug 3, 2010
So the guy below you says the 4th line is reserved for energy guys and you say it should be used to acclimate the young guys if you happen to suffer a couple injuries in the bottom 6. :help:
Yeah. He also mentioned youth coming up through the system. I think you're getting overexcited at the idea of your own proposal.

Calgary's youth have plenty of players who can crash and bang - Reinhart, Bouma, Ferland, Arnold, Nemisz just to name a few. They could all use a few games of seasoning in the NHL, just a taste to see what lies ahead for some of them.

The more I look at it, the more this proposal makes no sense for Calgary.

Try Edmonton, they need some sandpaper and depth on their team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad