GDT: DET/CAR: No Time for Relaxation

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Just a fine for Pesce

Definitely helped that Fabbri didn't get injured and Pesce has no history despite weirdos on the mainboard trying to say he is a dirty player. This after someone called Aho dirty a month or two ago... :laugh:

Also helped that a superstar got the same penalty for spearing someone in the testicles just a few days ago.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Notes from attending the game, sorry if they’ve already been discussed.

1. For being under 3K fans we brought a great amount of noise!

2. The fake crowd noise was 100% not necessary,
especially the noise happening in the middle of the play, that high pitched crowd noise was giving me a headache I think.

3. They warned us that only prepackaged food options will be available, understandable. But they presented us with only two pre packaged sandwich offerings and the general store offerings. I think they can get some better offerings than that. They could also add a few more kiosks that sell the general store stuff around the arena. The line was long for the general store and it’s only on the 1st floor. Definitely recommend eating before entering the arena.

4. They used the Fox Sports feed on the Jumbotron. It wasn’t full screen. From my seats I couldn’t see the clock or SOG’s, so I was constantly having to look left, aka behind the net to see how much time was left in the period, and was resulting in taking my eyes off the ice.

5. All that said. I don’t care that much. I was grateful to be back in PNC, with a Canes win, my happy place!

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
So Staal has 20 points in 21 games. Most of us figured it would take him at least 40-50 games to get there before this season. What a story he's been.
I was at best hoping he might get back to a 40-45 point pace but resigned to more like a 30-35 point pace (normal season pace). He still didn't look quite as good when Turbo was out and we didn't have as much talent to spread around, but throw someone like Svech on his line and he goes off again.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Just finished watching. I don't feel like Ned ever really gets rattled even though he may look frantic sometimes. I see a lot of confidence coming from him. He's accepted that he belongs in the NHL and it looks good on him.

and maaaaaaaaaan, Jordan Staal is FINALLY the player he was always supposed to be. And I'm not just saying that because he's putting up points. Look at how he uses his physicality now in the offensive end. It's night and day from the way he used to approach the offensive side of his game. I think you almost have to credit Trocheck for that too, he takes a lot of pressure off of him.

also, Nino is having a hell of a year and it's totally flying under the radar

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Just finished watching. I don't feel like Ned ever really gets rattled even though he may look frantic sometimes.

and maaaaaaaaaan, Jordan Staal is FINALLY the player he was always supposed to be. And I'm not just saying that because he's putting up points. Look at how he uses his physicality now in the offensive end. It's night and day from the way he used to approach the offensive side of his game. I think you almost have to credit Trocheck for that too, he takes a lot of pressure off of him.

also, Nino is having a hell of a year and it's totally flying under the radar

His eyes are even different. It's like there's a fire that was never there before. It's kind of spooky tbh.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I said for years when Jordan was struggling he needed some talent to play with and forcing him to be the shutdown guy only with scrubs wasn't his best usage. Several years back before Williams came back, I said he could really use a prime Williams. A guy that could play two-way hockey and had some great skill. Now, there were certainly some years in there where no matter who you put with him, he probably would have been a black hole. But I do think he's been at his best this year as they've rotated some skilled guys around him on at least one wing. And to some extent, he might be one of those guys that just plays better on a good team. And having his biggest fan as coach can't hurt either.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I said for years when Jordan was struggling he needed some talent to play with and forcing him to be the shutdown guy only with scrubs wasn't his best usage. Several years back before Williams came back, I said he could really use a prime Williams. A guy that could play two-way hockey and had some great skill. Now, there were certainly some years in there where no matter who you put with him, he probably would have been a black hole. But I do think he's been at his best this year as they've rotated some skilled guys around him on at least one wing. And to some extent, he might be one of those guys that just plays better on a good team. And having his biggest fan as coach can't hurt either.
Well placing skilled guys with him often led to the death of offense for the guys given the job. Lindholm certainly had enough skill, and set Staal up for many a half empty net that he missed by feet.

Let’s just enjoy the fact he’s arrived instead of talking about the past, because that’s a losing argument for Staal. On no level was he playing the way he’s playing this year. This isn’t the guy who tuned down the captaincy. This shockingly isn’t the guy who can’t hit water falling from a boat. Not that he’s a sniper, but he’s finishing chances he’s never done with any consistency before. His heads up passing has been the most impressive skill to me. He’s really on the ball with knowing where the open guy around the net is. I credit that to this years teams general chemistry. They’ve got each other figured out recently.

Also adding any quality center to play above him would’ve led to improvement as he’s now getting easier matchups and he looks like it’s a load off his shoulders and he can just play. The fact that it’s Trocheck and that Vinny is finally picking up back where he left off pre injury makes us a deep playoff threat. Trocheck is making us almost a 1a/1b center team. He’s pushing Aho.

We’re pretty damn good right now.

Presuming he survives the expansion draft we should be thinking Trocheck stays a little longer than his contract. Necas is highly unlikely to be a stronger center, even if his scoring hits its ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad