GDT: DET/CAR: No Time for Relaxation

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
So I am right to double take if I hear "Roenick", another thing I can blame Mike for!
Oh no, that's what they call him on the Detroit broadcast, as well.

Btw, having the NHL Network this year has really opened my eyes as to how good we have it on FS-CAR. I had no idea how bad it is out there...it's like you have to be 60+ years old to be a hockey broadcaster, for whatever reason (disclaimer: I haven't watched Tampa's broadcast yet). The best way I can describe the Canes broadcast in comparison to all these others I've seen is that it has verve.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I would argue Necas just slightly more. He creates defensive breakdowns with his ability to attack with speed, is perhaps the main reason the 2nd PP has been more effective, and has even done some PK work using his speed.

Not diminishing Trocheck's role, but I am not sure the Canes have a second scoring line if Necas doesn't take the next step. I think the 2nd PP is much less effective as well without his increased contributions.

This is all a good thing as Necas will likely be around for quite a while.

The core has really solidified into Aho/TT/Svech/Pesce/Slavin/Necas. If the organization can find a way to make the cap work, Carolina could be contenders for the entirety of the 2020s.
Saying we would not have a second line is overboard, and I disagree generally. I know Trocheck is killing it on the pp but he has 12 goals, wins his draws almost to Staal level, is physical, one of our strongest forwards on the puck and has been clutch. When Necas tapped in the OT goal into a half empty net from a perfect pass thanks to Aho we won the game, but it was the Trocheck snipe to tie that was the tougher play. Less sexy, but we’ve needed a guy who can bury that puck for years.

Im just glad they developed chemistry because we need them both and they were being forced together.

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
I like our team as is but I am salivating at the thought of getting a Forsberg to augment our offense for the playoffs. Sadly though it would likely require a King’s ransom in return so probably not worth it in the long run...

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I like our team as is but I am salivating at the thought of getting a Forsberg to augment our offense for the playoffs. Sadly though it would likely require a King’s ransom in return so probably not worth it in the long run...

Potentially winning a cup is worth potentially losing a trade, unless one is a Don Waddell stan for some mysterious and concerning reason.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Oh no, that's what they call him on the Detroit broadcast, as well.

Btw, having the NHL Network this year has really opened my eyes as to how good we have it on FS-CAR. I had no idea how bad it is out there...it's like you have to be 60+ years old to be a hockey broadcaster, for whatever reason (disclaimer: I haven't watched Tampa's broadcast yet). The best way I can describe the Canes broadcast in comparison to all these others I've seen is that it has verve.

NHL package is great and you’re right about other team’s broadcasters...pretty bad.

I happen to like Red Wings Broadcast team a lot (a fan of Mickey Redmond and enjoyed listening to him on HNIC many years ago) and their call last night was really good.

They were very knowledgeable about the Canes and called a superb game.

btw: the picture quality of the Red Wings broadcast was much better than Fox Sports South (we have directv). I find that NY area (Rangers and Islanders in particular) and Canadian broadcasts have the best hockey PQ on my Directv and Roku viewing experience (their announcers and inter period segments are better too).

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Damn, Peace's slewfoot was bad but Main Board wishing just shy of death threats seems way over the top

That said that's the internet these days, you ever make one mistake in your life on record and you'll get publicly crucified for it

Everyone will forget about it in two weeks, mostly. But then again: do dirty shit, get a dirty rep.

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
btw: the picture quality of the Red Wings broadcast was much better than Fox Sports South (we have directv). I find that NY area (Rangers and Islanders in particular) and Canadian broadcasts have the best hockey PQ on my Directv and Roku viewing experience (their announcers and inter period segments are better too).

Yeah I’m a DirecTV sub as well and I agree with what you say about the Canadian originated broadcasts...excellent HD PQ! An added bonus for me this season is that my NHL Center Ice sub has gained me access to home 4K broadcasts from the Black Hawks and Avalanche. I think of all the major sports hockey benefits the most from 4K. It’s not so much the added resolution but the HDR (high dynamic range) and wider color gamut of the 4K broadcasts that is so impressive.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The best way I can describe the Canes broadcast in comparison to all these others I've seen is that it has verve.

Yeah. Say what you want, but the broadcast team and social media teams definitely locked on to a certain vibe. There's an identity to this team/franchise that has been there a long time, not sure what you call it. Ornery kitsch? I doubt it's a conscious effort but it really makes me feel like I belong to something when I turn on a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad