Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Anthony Mantha signs extension (4 years, $5.7M AAV)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
nice deal. locked up during his prime years at 5.7M

What does this do for the Wings when they are in rebuild mode during Mantha's 4 years of prime? What's the plan after that? Does this contract become trade bait when he has 1 or 2 years left? Otherwise, if he is part of the plans from 29-35 ish, I would have gone for the 6 year deal. Do the Wings need the cap space in the next 5 years (+/-)?

To me, this signing would be great for a team that is contending in the next 4 years. But the Wings are not going to contend in those 4 years so not so sure that term fits their long term rebuild plans. Unless, like I said earlier, it's trade bait contract to reinforce a younger core in 2 or 3 years time.

Reactions: viceroy

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
When you realize he's only being paid $200K more than Josh Anderson... LOLBERGY.

When you realise Mantha will sign with the Habs as an UFA in 4 years, just when the wings get out of the basement, to play on the top line with Anderson for the next 3 years

But yeah, that Anderson contract is definitely a bad one, especially considering all the cheap contracts that followed

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
You think the fact that Anderson signed for 7 years (positively) justifies his cap hit? The term is the problem, not the cap hit.

Every contract has risk.

The Habs have assumed a lot of injury/decline risk with the term.

Detroit has assumed the opposite risk, that if Mantha trends up like everyone expects him to then in 3-4 years they will be worried about a big UFA raise he will be due.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You think the fact that Anderson signed for 7 years (positively) justifies his cap hit? The term is the problem, not the cap hit.

We will see about that. Both the Blue Jackets and Habs had the same offer... 1 year or 7. I rather the 7 years of team control and at $5.5M, it's far from horrible. Anderson has better numbers vs Wilson and Wilson was signed for 6 years at $5.17M. Guys like this are not a dime a dozen. All Anderson needs to do is play his game and chip in Wilson type stats and it's not a problem, it's an asset!

Mantha has more value than Anderson. We all know that so not sure why the Mantha signing gives others a shot at throwing jabs against the Habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Every contract has risk.

The Habs have assumed a lot of injury/decline risk with the term.

Detroit has assumed the opposite risk, that if Mantha trends up like everyone expects him to then in 3-4 years they will be worried about a big UFA raise he will be due.

Agreed. When I look at the contending or rise up years, the 4 year term can hurt them big time!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
When I see this, i have no idea what any of it means. I have never tried to get into some of the advanced statistics and other ways of tracking players... Still go with the old eye ball test. Mantha is good, really talented, big and fast. Injury history or not, great deal Steve.
It means that Detroit creates a lot more offense around the net when Mantha is on the ice.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I like this a lot. 4 years is enough time to see where the team is at and then commit if they're actually competitive, or let Mantha walk if they're (as is likely) not. Happy it wasn't 7 and happy it wasn't 1 or 2.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
When you realise Mantha will sign with the Habs as an UFA in 4 years, just when the wings get out of the basement, to play on the top line with Anderson for the next 3 years

But yeah, that Anderson contract is definitely a bad one, especially considering all the cheap contracts that followed

If Anderson is still a top line forward for Montreal in four years, something has gone drastically wrong in their rebuild.

... And if he were to be on it with Mantha, something went drastically wrong with Caufield.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
When you realize he's only being paid $200K more than Josh Anderson... LOLBERGY.
And you have to love Stevie Y. Power forwards generally age poorly in the NHL. So what does Stevie do with a power forward who has had injuries? 4 year contract. If he outperforms the contract, so be it you lose cap space in 2024. But 4 deal year there is no fear at all the contract becomes a boat anchor.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
When I see this, i have no idea what any of it means. I have never tried to get into some of the advanced statistics and other ways of tracking players... Still go with the old eye ball test. Mantha is good, really talented, big and fast. Injury history or not, great deal Steve.

It means he tilts the ice the other direction when he's on. When he wasn't on the ice the Red Wings couldn't maintain possession of the puck in the offensive zone.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Some teams are paying 100%, in majority of those estimations.

And Montreal did overpay with Anderson, drastically.

Habs didn't overpay Anderson cause it was a 7 year term. Term is a huge factor. All short term and long term deals come with risks. Habs paid less for Anderson on a 7 year term vs a 6 year term for T Wilson who got a higher AAV and his stats are not as good as Anderson. Both play a similar style.

Are you really thinking the Wings are the only team to get savings on contracts this off season? Come on man! Anderson and Mantha both get way more AAV (4 or 7 year terms) if there were no covid flat cap.

I think you are ignoring term "drastically".

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yzerman signings vs. evolving-hockey.com estimations.

- Tyler Bertuzzi, 1-year 3.5M (estimation 4.182M) - 16.3% bargain
- Vlad Namestnikov, 2-years 2.0M (estimation 3.238M) - 38.2% bargain
- Troy Stecher, 2 years, 1.7M (estimation 1.96M) - 13.3% bargain
- Jon Merrill, 1-year 925k (estimation 1.802M) - 48.3% bargain
- Bobby Ryan, 1-year 1M (estimation 1.139M) - 12.2% bargain
- Sam Gagner, 1-year 850k (estimation 1.044M) - 18.6% bargain
- Anthony Mantha, 4-year 5.7M (estimation 6.536M) - 12.8% bargain

All "summer" signings TOTAL:
- 15.675M

Estimated TOTAL:
- 19.901M

Savings 21,24%

Great job, Henkka. Now do Marc Bergevin signings this offseason. :sarcasm:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
How sad is your franchise when you re-sign one of your better players to a great deal and all your "fans" can do is talk about some other mediocre team's mediocre players?

How small and pathetic and trolly.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Habs didn't overpay Anderson cause it was a 7 year term. Term is a huge factor. All short term and long term deals come with risks. Habs paid less for Anderson on a 7 year term vs a 6 year term for T Wilson who got a higher AAV and his stats are not as good as Anderson. Both play a similar style.

Are you really thinking the Wings are the only team to get savings on contracts this off season? Come on man! Anderson and Mantha both get way more AAV (4 or 7 year terms) if there were no covid flat cap.

I think you are ignoring term completely.

... Term only makes Anderson's contract worse.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Great deal for Detroit. Gotta feel for Mantha, though. If he hadn't had his season de-railed between injuries and COVID, he was probably looking at a long term, $7.5M to $8M deal.

That's a big "if" coming from a guy who keeps bashing Josh Anderson's last injury "de-railed" season.

At least be consistent when spitting poison.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
... Term only makes Anderson's contract worse.

Subjective to how you can predict the future. And at the same time, you are ignoring how Mantha's next contract might hurt you due to him being a UFA with a much higher salary cap. Anderson's contract is actually better than Wilson. Less AAV and better production. Go figure eh. You act like Anderson only puts up 20 pts and 1 goal for the next 7 years :laugh:

What does a 4 year term do for he Wings in their rebuild years? Save cap space? :laugh:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That's a big "if" coming from a guy who keeps bashing Josh Anderson's last injury "de-railed" season.

At least be consistent when spitting poison.

One player's injury de-railed season saw him put up 38 points in 43 games. The other's saw him put up four in 26.

That was a nice attempt at a comparison...

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad